Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_0615.JPG

This is an old pic (2yrs ago in Moab), but shows the clearance on my custom rear rack. I built this one based off of an old Allen bike rack that I had. I beefed it up, added some "roof rails" to it, running in line with the frame rail of the Cruiser, and attached 3 roof-mount (intended) Thule Big Mouth racks to it. It all plugs into a 2" receiver. It may not be the most "aero", and surely doesn't help the Cruiser's fuel economy #'s, but I don't drag it pulling into my campsites either. It will swing down and carry a jerry can too.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443926747.656884.jpg

image.jpg

I have used a receiver mount when I take more than one bike but I hate having to move stuff every time I need to open the back hatch. I sometimes just ratchet strap a single bike to the front ARB. it's pretty easy to set it high enough that it won't interfere with the approach angle and the bike hasn't blocked enough air circulation to affect air temps.

Last edited:
For the guys with 1upUSA's and North Shore racks, can we see some pics from the side with the hatches opened up? I've got a rear spare swingarm that will need to clear it on my HDJ81, and the wife's GX has a retarded rear door that swings open to the passenger side that I'm not sure ANYTHING will clear. I'd like to get something capable of carrying 3 bikes as well, does that change what kind of access you'll have?

With the dual swing 4x4Labs rear I had to grab a hitch extension that also lowered it to clear the swing out. The NS rack caused me issues there.

I use a hitch extension with my 1up rack/labs dual swing out. I still have to remove at least the bike closest to the truck to open the swing outs. When deciding, I was torn between the kuat and the 1up. When I was measuring it all up it looked like the kuat would interfere with the swing outs unless a long hitch extension was used. Ahhhh, I just re-read your statement, sounds like you got a drop hitch extension...

Just to be clear with what you said, with your kuat you can open the swing outs with bikes attached but lowered? Or do you have to remove the bikes also?

The NS rack won't clear the swingouts?

I love my 1up rack I just wish I could leave the bikes on to access the rear...

For the guys with 1upUSA's and North Shore racks, can we see some pics from the side with the hatches opened up? I've got a rear spare swingarm that will need to clear it on my HDJ81, and the wife's GX has a retarded rear door that swings open to the passenger side that I'm not sure ANYTHING will clear. I'd like to get something capable of carrying 3 bikes as well, does that change what kind of access you'll have?

I am not sure how far the factory swing arm goes across the rear, but my swingout is half the width of the truck and stops dead in the center. I love being able to fold down the rack with bikes on it. 2 is easy, but when you get to having 3 or 4 loaded on, it helps to have someone slide the pin in.
image.png

Depending how low the receiver is on the GX, the rack might work to open the rear door as there are really only two things to worry about. Fwiw, my receiver was relocated into the rear crossmember so it's a bit higher than most relative to the body. If the receiver hangs below the rear bumper it might be possible.
image.png

On top of the 60 it is locked into my Kuat Trio, if hanging on the back of the 60 or the 4Runner with other bikes then it is a generic frame/top tube holder style one.

I have a BIOR bumper and I'm having Mike make the rear bike carrier too. I'm looking at some of the different trays and found the system from 1up

Any thoughts on installing their roof tray system on the rear bumper? 1UPUSA.com Roof Tray Silver

Thanks

I don't have any personal experience with any of the 1UP racks but have heard nothing but good thing about them.

I love the idea of not having to take the front wheel off with the BIOR/roof tray system. Would save on storage space and make keeping up with the new standards a lot easier.

It will be interesting to see how these work mounted upright. Seem like they should work fine, but wonder how loading the bikes will go. I may be concerned with being able to reach the arms for the front wheels.

I'll be looking forward to how they work, keep us posted, this could be a killer setup!

I don't have any personal experience with any of the 1UP racks but have heard nothing but good thing about them.

I love the idea of not having to take the front wheel off with the BIOR/roof tray system. Would save on storage space and make keeping up with the new standards a lot easier.

It will be interesting to see how these work mounted upright. Seem like they should work fine, but wonder how loading the bikes will go. I may be concerned with being able to reach the arms for the front wheels.

I'll be looking forward to how they work, keep us posted, this could be a killer setup!

Thanks! I'm checking into this option and seeing if it's possible for 1up to modify the hitch mount rack. Does anyone know how much it would need to drop down to open up the swing arms?

Sent from my iPhone

What about a hitch extender... I wonder if that would work with a 1up?

Sent from my iPhone

66949492_606147_full.jpg

Little hard to see the details, but it's a Thule hitch rack, paid $300-ish at REI a few years back. This was a family beach trip, combined with some light off-roading on the way - rack held up great. I also built a plywood base for some short roof rack mounts I got off ebay for cheap - the 2 bikes on top are mounted to that.

upload_2016-3-30_19-54-39.png

upload_2016-3-30_19-54-38.png

ISI Bike carriers.

iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carrier and Bike Rack Systems

ISI stands for Intake Systems International (or something very close) - thats the same engineer that worked on Safari snorkels, intercoolers etc!! Same guy is the also the owner of LCOOL forum in Oz. Point is, he's a very clever fellah, and needed a bike rack to carry his bikes around. One thing led to another, and now you'll find his carriers all around the world. I wouldn't trust my bike on anything else now, and I take it anywhere I want, without limitation or consideration. No wheels out, no protruding bits to worry about, carbon no problem. Strong, clever and functional.

Have a look around the website, check out the features. Its the only thing I'd use now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom