Most simple diesel engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking about what I'd like for my ultimate drive package to be, and I keep coming back to diesel. One criteria for my set up will be simplicity and therefore lack of electrical controls. I am gathering that the 2H is a naturally aspirated mechanically injected? motor. Please correct me if I am wrong. What other optoins are out there that would not have my combustion dependent on electricity (other than fuel cut off and starter). TIA.

The 4 cylinder 3B NA diesel engine is another option.

13bt gets my vote.

As long as it is not connected to an electronically controlled automatic. If so, it will have a TPS on the IP and connected to a computer box.

IMO, the simplest Toyota diesel engines are those that have a inline IP and are connected to a hydraulic tranny or a standard tranny, such as the 3B or 2H. It is no accidnet that both of these engines will often cruise way past 500,000 kms without issue when they are properly cared for.

if going pure diesel get a direct injected to avoid dropped precompression cups, and get a turbo motor to make it work up and down the mountains, and inline injection pump. that leaves you with the 12-HT as the best option.

if you're into alternative fuel oil, I understand the indirect injected (3B, 2H) are better burning.

13BT has a rotary injection pump (sometimes, if not always).

if going pure diesel get a direct injected to avoid dropped precompression cups, and get a turbo motor to make it work up and down the mountains, and inline injection pump. that leaves you with the 12-HT as the best option.

if you're into alternative fuel oil, I understand the indirect injected (3B, 2H) are better burning.

13BT has a rotary injection pump (sometimes, if not always).

I have never seen a 13B or 13BT in North America with a rotary pump - and I've seen as many in North America as anyone. They are all inline pumps.

The 12HT is a great engine as well, but a lot larger than the B series.

Any of the older engines will run without electricity once going: B series or H series.

Rotary pumps use a fuel cut solenoid that needs power to stay open. Rotary pumps, although pretty good, are not nearly as long-lived (or reliable) as the inline pumps.

~John

I have never seen a 13B or 13BT in North America with a rotary pump - and I've seen as many in North America as anyone. They are all inline pumps.

~John

I think ratpuke has one (13BT with rotary)

(But it may have been a 3b...)

Last edited:
well a quick google and i see that crushers says all jdm 13bts are rotary. i guess the '3bii' motors are also rotary.

stay away from rotary.

(1)3B(T) has 4 cylingers with 3.4 liters is 8.5 liters per cylinder.

(1)2H(T) has 6 cylinders and 4 liters so 6.66 liters per cylinder.

Not sure what difference this makes (piston size), but I'll stick with my 12HT.

well a quick google and i see that crushers says all jdm 13bts are rotary. i guess the '3bii' motors are also rotary.

My JDM 13BT would argue the point.

A JDM 3B would not.

gb

I think ratpuke has one (13BT with rotary)

(But it may have been a 3b...)

That was a JDM 3BII or JDM 3B, not a 13BT.

~John

can you swap an inline pump onto a rotary pump engine?

The 2h is lacking tons of power na but it is running strong 362kms and never misses a beat. It is powerful enough to blow the doors off my buddies bj42, And yanked out 2 full size 4 door trucks burried to the frame.

Had several chevy trucks with the na 6.2, heaps more power than the 2h or b, but must be very well cared for to most likely get the same miles out of it, although they can be built and cheap. Maybe look at the cummins 6bt or the 90-91 7.3 international na is a great motor, that is if you want to veer from Toyota!

And after having driven and or owned most all I think I like the simplicity of the strait 6 cummins and 2h, cummins being more build able in the USA and the 2h is by far one of my favorite motors of all time the more I own it and drive it.

hummm, did i make a misleading statement? shame on me.

want simple?
3B (parts are becoming obsolete)
2H (parts are becoming obsolete)

1PZ parts are still available

1HZ parts will be available for years to come

why install a dated engine where you might have the truck sit for months while you source a decent used part to install?

direct injection suck

but we are talking opinions here, right?

can you swap an inline pump onto a rotary pump engine?

Yes, especially if the engine was available with both. But you will need a few other additional bits too. I know with my TD4.2s, they came with inline or rotary pumps. Most are rotary but a fair number of European TD4.2s had inline pumps.

That was a JDM 3BII or JDM 3B, not a 13BT.

~John

Right :doh:

What's the difference between inline and rotary?

Rotary has one plunger for all cylinders, and inline has a plunger for each cylinder.

I think rotarys are good, however they suffer more form the new diesel (no sulfer) than the inline pumps do.

Cummins engines in the dodge had the rotary from 89-93, then went to the inline, I had to get my rotary rebuilt at around 320 000km

1PZ engines are just short life engines as 12H-T at least down here .. there are not really much parts available those days .. I bet there is much more stock for 2H engines ..

Inline pumps are lubricated by engine oil and rotary pumps are lubricated by the fuel. That's the big difference in longevity.

For longevity I would cross the IDI engines off the list straight off. The risk that they'll crack a head or drop a pre-combustion chamber at some stage is very real.

My short list:
Isuzu 4BD1T - Bulletproof engine which has been modified to produce over 500hp by people who clearly have more time and skill than most. You can still buy new long blocks and all genuine parts plus complete copied engines from China.
Toyota 13BT/14BT/15BT - Similar overall package to the Isuzu, but strength/power limits haven't been found.
Toyota 1HD-FT - Four valve engines don't have the bottom end bearing issues.
Toyota 12HT - May be difficult to get parts.

Last edited:
yah, those pesky 3Bs that run 750K ... wouldn't want one of them in a truck.
or those POS 1HZ that last and last even in mining applications, who would want one of them?

FAIL Kiwibuddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom