For Sale Most Recent 80 Series Prices (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
There is a similar thread in both the 100 and 200 Classifieds Sections, makes sense here too. These trucks are changing hands at a rapid rate these days, having consolidated live market data is a nice thing for both buyers and sellers.

If you have recently bought or sold an 80 series and are comfortable sharing the details, post it here.

So few of us actually list what they bought their 80s for but I don’t mind sharing. I’ve shared my previous 80s and I’ll share my most recent. To recap:

1) 1994 3x locked, Emerald Green with 192k, relatively clean, 6 owners, no rust, but needed a s*** load of work. Bought sight unseen. $8.5k in Dec 2020
2) 1997 3x locked Desert Dune and Moon Glow Pearl, 206k, super clean, bought sight unseen. $17.5k in Oct 2021
3) 1997 40th unlocked, Antique Sage, 172k, super clean body, leather is shot in front, needs work on engine (haven’t troubleshot), bought sight unseen. $3.5k Mar 2022

So few of us actually list what they bought their 80s for but I don’t mind sharing. I’ve shared my previous 80s and I’ll share my most recent. To recap:

1) 1994 3x locked, Emerald Green with 192k, relatively clean, 6 owners, no rust, but needed a s*** load of work. Bought sight unseen. $8.5k in Dec 2020
2) 1997 3x locked Desert Dune and Moon Glow Pearl, 206k, super clean, bought sight unseen. $17.5k in Oct 2021
3) 1997 40th unlocked, Antique Sage, 172k, super clean body, leather is shot in front, needs work on engine (haven’t troubleshot), bought sight unseen. $3.5k Mar 2022
How did that sight-unseen go down?

How did that sight-unseen go down?
It’s always a risk right?

The 1994 was purchased from a pastor who didn’t know shît about cruisers. Or he did know a lot about cruisers and he is a shîtty pastor. Needless to say, it didn’t go as smooth compared to the other two transactions. It just needed more work than he let on.

I may be too trusting but I tend to take more leaps of faith on people on this forum than elsewhere. With that being said, future readers, please don’t rip me off. Thanks.

Quite the result. A nice 3x locked 80, but I’m shocked this thing pulled that kind of money with the damage reported to carfax, it’s mileage, and rusty a pillar and rear hatch. Makes that guys truck in Arizona look like a bargain.

Quite the result. A nice 3x locked 80, but I’m shocked this thing pulled that kind of money with the damage reported to carfax, it’s mileage, and rusty a pillar and rear hatch. Makes that guys truck in Arizona look like a bargain.

Insanity

Even with a lot of the crazy prices, that is an outlier. Just ridiculous

Dumb AF! Could of had a nice 200

Exactly. It's not like these people are getting a loan for a 25-30 year old built land cruiser like they would for a new 4runner, wrangler, or bronco or whatever.

These are likely cash purchases using fully discretionary funds.

Even with a lot of the crazy prices, that is an outlier. Just ridiculous
Probably bought site unseen, without a test drive too. I looked at this listing a couple days ago and read through the comments. It has a couple rust spots, fairly minor but they exist. Also, this 80 has been in an accident. The owner was pretty good about answering questions honestly but I noticed that one about how it drove/tire wear went unanswered. Either that or I overlooked the answer.
Yes, BAT sales show that there must be a lot of folks out there with tons of discretionary cash.

Exactly. It's not like these people are getting a loan for a 25-30 year old built land cruiser like they would for a new 4runner, wrangler, or bronco or whatever.

These are likely cash purchases using fully discretionary funds.
It's hard to judge the value of things sometimes. In reality, it's what people are willing to pay. Just how many people feel they need a simpler reliable 4wd and are willing to pay new car prices for one. Then there is the fact that a collectable car serves as transport while not depreciating. In some aspects the appreciation of a collector car offsets the cost of driving it.

What makes this most recent sale a collectable car?

Long term appreciation of motor vehicle values has generally been very limited to specific makes, models, and years.

Perhaps an extremely clean, low mileage, original 80 series would be considered a collectable...but I guess when you have money to spend that makes anything you buy in excess can be considered collectable?

I know this truck and seller. It is a beautiful and capable truck; the seller took great care in its upkeep and improvement. While I had expected it to sell in the low $40s, I'm not at all surprised that, in this car market, it ran up to $60. Cast against what one can buy new for as much, this Land Cruiser is vastly more capable and interesting.

I think that we should all cherish the fact that people with **** you money want our vehicles at **** you prices. Just makes it easier to sell if you ever wanted to get out of it. It would be one thing if it happened just this one time, but there’s been quite a few occasions now where someone has paid an FU price for an 80 series on BaT. I don’t think there’s too many vehicles that are like the 80 in that regard. Air cooled 911’s definitely come to mind as being in a similar situation.

I know this truck and seller. It is a beautiful and capable truck; the seller took great care in its upkeep and improvement. While I had expected it to sell in the low $40s, I'm not at all surprised that, in this car market, it ran up to $60. Cast against what one can buy new for as much, this Land Cruiser is vastly more capable and interesting.
While I love the J80, I'm not sure I'd say it's significantly more capable off-road than a 200 series or 5th gen 4Runner. People like them for the cool factor, and also the beautiful simplicity of their design which lets them take more abuse and makes them easier to work on and modify yourself.
It's hard to judge the value of things sometimes. In reality, it's what people are willing to pay. Just how many people feel they need a simpler reliable 4wd and are willing to pay new car prices for one. Then there is the fact that a collectable car serves as transport while not depreciating. In some aspects the appreciation of a collector car offsets the cost of driving it.
I see where you're coming from, but that's only true if you've sold it. From what I can see BAT is just about the only place one will find a buyer in this price range unless you're a pro resto shop or have a connection. Not to mention who knows how an insurance company would value it.

All this is likely neither here nor there for whoever buys these at auction though.

While I love the J80, I'm not sure I'd say it's significantly more capable off-road than a 200 series or 5th gen 4Runner. People like them for the cool factor, and also the beautiful simplicity of their design which lets them take more abuse and makes them easier to work on and modify yourself.

I see where you're coming from, but that's only true if you've sold it. From what I can see BAT is just about the only place one will find a buyer in this price range unless you're a pro resto shop or have a connection. Not to mention who knows how an insurance company would value it.

All this is likely neither here nor there for whoever buys these at auction though.

Granted a 200 or 2/3/4/5 gen 4Runner will take most people, most places (overlanding) but an 80 (especially triple locked) is “significantly” more capable than a 200 or a 2/3/4/5th gen 4Runner on all off road obstacles that are regarded as a challenge. Many people have witnessed it in situations, whether for pleasure or necessity around the world.

I would imagine the capability is one of the many factors that has fueled the recent popularity and value increases, for many reasons these are special and unique trucks that stir emotion and emotion drives value, always has, always will!!

As far as BaT being the only, it is the most visible, but there are many Cruisers and other collector vehicles that change hands with visibility only seen by the seller and 1 buyer by design.

What do you dudes think is worth more on BaT provided condition and mileage is relatively the same?

1997 factory 3X locked Desert-Dune and Moonglow Pearl with 206k miles

Or

1997 40th Antique Sage unlocked with 176k miles

I love them both but I don’t need three 80s. I might do a poll if I don’t a ton of feedback here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom