For Sale Most Recent 80 Series Prices (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
There is a similar thread in both the 100 and 200 Classifieds Sections, makes sense here too. These trucks are changing hands at a rapid rate these days, having consolidated live market data is a nice thing for both buyers and sellers.

If you have recently bought or sold an 80 series and are comfortable sharing the details, post it here.

Or people have come to their senses and realized they're not worth the inflated prices

3C520185-D7A1-4FF0-B67D-690E24C1B374.png

In short, no, the prices for well presented 80’s is certainly not going down by any means. The truck would have gone for more if the seller had fixed the crooked bumper and put 33” tires on it.

There’s quite a few factors going into this truck not going for more. Namely the accident and the bumper still being crooked as a result. There were also questions regarding the mileage being legit from the peanut gallery in the comments section. Also, although my FJ62 is pretty much the same color, it’s probably the worst color you can get besides some of the 2 tone combos on a cruiser. Beige on a stock 80 series and 31” tires is about as bad as an 80 series can get looks wise without damage, and the seller decided to post pictures of the truck damaged as well. These are things that people with the big bucks are not looking for.

There was a facelifted white truck that sold for $50,000 a couple weeks back that was on bat last year and pulled $33k iirc. Presentation is everything and my advice to those selling stock trucks in addition to great pictures and cleanliness is to throw some 33” tires on it. Probably the best thing you can do to a stock truck in terms of looks. You will definitely see a return on the $1,200 you spend on some 285/75r16 bfg all terrains.
You may be right, but fwiw I disagree with most of this.

Two tone 62's are much better colors than blue, white or red, Beige on an 80 is also better than some others and stock wheels plus tires are the best choice for a BAT sale.

IMHO the gas prices are starting to pick away at leisure buyers since it will be harder to justify buying a 30 year old vehicle that gets 13 mpg. A looming recession is also putting cold water on the market. Collectors will still pay the big $$ for extremely clean, low mileage, locked, examples.

You may be right, but fwiw I disagree with most of this.

Two tone 62's are much better colors than blue, white or red, Beige on an 80 is also better than some others and stock wheels plus tires are the best choice for a BAT sale.
He is right on the money. I’m not as familiar with the 62 market so I can’t comment there, but your opinion on what is “better” isn’t really relevant. What’s popular in the market determines values and beige and select two-tone color schemes are the least popular and have the largest negative effect on value as far as color is concerned.

Same goes for 33in tires (BFG is the best bet here) and stock everything else.

He is right on the money. I’m not as familiar with the 62 market so I can’t comment there, but your opinion on what is “better” isn’t really relevant...
Just curious, what are the most popular colors and how have you determined this? Same question for concluding 33" tires are far more desirable than stock size.

Just curious, what are the most popular colors and how have you determined this? Same question for concluding 33" tires are far more desirable than stock size.
I think he’s just following the trends in the final sales prices. The wife and I have been kind of tracking it as well. I think white sells best, and mostly stock. The 33’s I hadn’t noticed, but I bet that’s pretty legit as well.

Besides engine options, colors are everything in the collector car market and you bet rarer and desirable color combos will pull a premium. I’d say that black, Night shadow, desert dune, antique sage pearl, and moon glow all add to the base value of an 80 series due in part to rarity, and imo looks. As far as white is concerned, it certainly isn’t rare, but many people just like white on older cruisers and I am no exception. White is also the only color that used single stage paint if I’m remembering correctly. That means that when they aren’t involved in accidents, white trucks will have shiny original paint when polished up regardless of whether or not it’s been left outside in the sun it’s whole life. Original paint is definitely something collectors are looking for.

I certainly love green on most cars and the 80 series isn’t an exception. However, it’s probably the middle of the road color inbetween the rarer ones mentioned above and the less desirable ones mentioned below in terms of adding value. This is simply because it’s super common, otherwise I’d say it would be up there.

Then you get to the beige and 2 tone colored cars and it starts going downhill- not by too much but it certainly affects the values negatively. If you love those colors then great for you, it’ll be easier for you to find a deal on one. My theory on the LX450’s not bringing as much as land cruisers is due to LX’s only coming in 2 tone colors except for the champagne color- which is really close to beige lol.

As far as tires are concerned, take a look at the 80 series section on BAT. You’ll notice trucks with 33” tires selling for more than trucks with 31” tires most of the time. Sure you can argue that you like the look of 31” tires more than the 33’s, but you would be a minority. When trying to sell a car for the most amount you can get for it, it’s always about appealing to as many people as you possibly can. If you can put bigger tires on your rugged SUV without negatively affecting anything and make it look better, then why not? The factory size tires just look too small on the 80 series- especially with the flares. 33’s really even out the look, but that’s just like my opinion, man.

Hardly anyone lists what they bought their 80 for on this thread.
A lot of people don’t like telling others what they paid for their things. That’s why when you ask someone what they paid for something, you start it off with, “if you don’t mind me asking...”. And if they say no, then it’s all good in the hood because its their business not yours. Don’t worry though, we’ve got BAT with some solid historical data and pictures to rummage through to get a good idea of what’s selling for what.

Besides engine options, colors are everything in the collector car market and you bet rarer and desirable color combos will pull a premium. I’d say that black, Night shadow, desert dune, antique sage pearl, and moon glow all add to the base value of an 80 series due in part to rarity, and imo looks. As far as white is concerned, it certainly isn’t rare, but many people just like white on older cruisers and I am no exception. White is also the only color that used single stage paint if I’m remembering correctly. That means that when they aren’t involved in accidents, white trucks will have shiny original paint when polished up regardless of whether or not it’s been left outside in the sun it’s whole life. Original paint is definitely something collectors are looking for.

I certainly love green on most cars and the 80 series isn’t an exception. However, it’s probably the middle of the road color inbetween the rarer ones mentioned above and the less desirable ones mentioned below in terms of adding value. This is simply because it’s super common, otherwise I’d say it would be up there.

Then you get to the beige and 2 tone colored cars and it starts going downhill- not by too much but it certainly affects the values negatively. If you love those colors then great for you, it’ll be easier for you to find a deal on one. My theory on the LX450’s not bringing as much as land cruisers is due to LX’s only coming in 2 tone colors except for the champagne color- which is really close to beige lol.

As far as tires are concerned, take a look at the 80 series section on BAT. You’ll notice trucks with 33” tires selling for more than trucks with 31” tires most of the time. Sure you can argue that you like the look of 31” tires more than the 33’s, but you would be a minority. When trying to sell a car for the most amount you can get for it, it’s always about appealing to as many people as you possibly can. If you can put bigger tires on your rugged SUV without negatively affecting anything and make it look better, then why not? The factory size tires just look too small on the 80 series- especially with the flares. 33’s really even out the look, but that’s just like my opinion, man.
Quality post. Spot on, at least imo as a washed up car dealer lol. Only part I'd contend with slightly is that the LX valuation discrepancy is also due to the badging (probably more so a bit) but still agree the colors are also part of it.

All that said, color and 33" vs 31" tire are two of the many factors that come into play with these high value 80s, and while not insignificant, aren't the most important either.

A lot of people don’t like telling others what they paid for their things. That’s why when you ask someone what they paid for something, you start it off with, “if you don’t mind me asking...”. And if they say no, then it’s all good in the hood because its their business not yours. Don’t worry though, we’ve got BAT with some solid historical data and pictures to rummage through to get a good idea of what’s selling for what.
I understand this. I threw out what I paid because I have no shame. It is what it is. I paid $7500 for a kind of ratty 94. Then $17 at the height of prices for a 97. Did I overpay for both? Depends on who you ask and when you ask them.

I think the intent of this thread is to mimic the 200 series thread and discuss what 80s are going for and that helps paint the picture for all of us who are simply curious. BAT is a good representation of that but I’d argue the numbers there are skewed. Why? I think it’s because people are buying these up because “overlanding” is a fad partly because COVID and also because 80s have a solid rep.

I think it’s be interesting to compare and contrast the numbers we see outside of BaT.

In reference to your recent post, I also disagree that LXs don’t bring the same money as LCs due to color. I think provenance has the most to do with it. There aren’t any adages that state, “if you want to go out to the bush take a Land Rover but if you want to get from the bush, take a LX450”. Be that as it may, we understand an 80 is an 80 and the capabilities are indiscriminate. But to the average “overlander” they just want a “factory 3x locked Land Cruiser”.

Btw, I hate the word “overland”. Like, no s*** it’s over land. Two words. I’m not taking my cruiser overair or overwater FFS.

When trying to sell a car for the most amount you can get for it, it’s always about appealing to as many people as you possibly can.

It's always about appealing to as many people in your target market as you possibly can. Depends on the car you're trying to sell. An all original, well-optioned, low miles, known provenance, good color Landcruiser should be marketed to discerning buyers who value such things and have the disposable income to buy them. Those are always going to be the "top dollar" examples. Built, highly modified, Landcruisers can also fetch good prices if they're well done, but it's a different market., and both are definitely a way different market than the 99% of Landcruisers that are in typical, average, "kinda worn but still driveable" condition. Most of the big money BaT sales I've seen (I admittedly don't track it religiously) have been for vehicles in the first two categories. The "typical, average" cars fetch typical average prices, which are also on the rise and are probably more relevant to most people.

Btw, I hate the word “overland”. Like, no s*** it’s over land. Two words. I’m not taking my cruiser overair or overwater FFS.

Amen.

I understand this. I threw out what I paid because I have no shame. It is what it is. I paid $7500 for a kind of ratty 94. Then $17 at the height of prices for a 97. Did I overpay for both? Depends on who you ask and when you ask them.

I think the intent of this thread is to mimic the 200 series thread and discuss what 80s are going for and that helps paint the picture for all of us who are simply curious. BAT is a good representation of that but I’d argue the numbers there are skewed. Why? I think it’s because people are buying these up because “overlanding” is a fad partly because COVID and also because 80s have a solid rep.

I think it’s be interesting to compare and contrast the numbers we see outside of BaT.

In reference to your recent post, I also disagree that LXs don’t bring the same money as LCs due to color. I think provenance has the most to do with it. There aren’t any adages that state, “if you want to go out to the bush take a Land Rover but if you want to get from the bush, take a LX450”. Be that as it may, we understand an 80 is an 80 and the capabilities are indiscriminate. But to the average “overlander” they just want a “factory 3x locked Land Cruiser”.

That last bit. 👌🏽👌🏽😂😂

I think most people on here don't give up their paid for price is because of two main reasons.

First, if they put it up for sale on here, there is always somebody who will point out what the owner originally paid in the add and try to make the seller seem as a greedy flipper and tank any possible buyers.

Second catagory is when people paid too much and are slightly embarrassed for over paying.

The folks that got a screaming deal are elated and like to brag at what a deal they got it for and boast about the current prices being way over priced.

Nothing wrong with anybody's choice, it's their perragative.

Having said that, and following @FMC80 example of transparency, I bought mine for $9,000, down from the seller's asking price of $9,800 in late 2019 before the damnpanic. I searched for a few years to find the cleanest example that was close proximity(Alabama) and within my budget of $10k. Done deal. No lockers, but was not a deal breaker for me as I'm not going to use it for "Overlanding" or conquering Everest. I just wanted one to keep and slow restore for an occasional drive to the beer store in a legend of a vehicle, and I live on a f'd up dirt road so it sees more mud and washboard than most.

Now it is worth at least $100,000 on BAT.:p

Last edited:
@FMC80 Man, another member who hates the term "overlanding"? 🤣 You had @baldilocks seen pretty passionate about it.

I still think it sounds better than "going bush", which the Aussies will be familiar with. Also better that "I'm going for a drive for the sake of driving, will likely get lost, break stuff and most people won't understand how that's fun"

@FMC80 Man, another member who hates the term "overlanding"? 🤣 You had @baldilocks seen pretty passionate about it.

I still think it sounds better than "going bush", which the Aussies will be familiar with. Also better that "I'm going for a drive for the sake of driving, will likely get lost, break stuff and most people won't understand how that's fun"
How about "I'm going ****ing camping."

I bought a 97 for $9500 this year. All maintenance up to date, all records in a notebook, no rust, OME lift on 35’s, rhino lined around sides and front hood, ARB bumper with winch, center diff-switch mod, rear ‘lunchbox’ locker, sleeping setup built in with drawers, rear power outlets.

Well here‘s one about to sell live on BaT….and it’s gonna be a Sunday auction while most people are not sitting at their PC watching auctions. I bought mine at a BaT Sunday auction a month ago and I’m happy. 14 minutes left and it’s at $8500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom