more tranny swap problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
4 spd tranny with t case from the 3 spd. Everyone says its a perfect set up for the rocks because you get the lower gears. GREAT except it's a pain in the @#@ to do. My step dad is doing most of the work and I'm helping him. He was a mechanic for years and just swapped tranny's in his cj 7. Those of you who were at cullowhee met him. He was the one got the lexus running again. Any way, I bought the adapter kit from JT Outfitters and will never buy anything from them again.(this was before John told me how they treated him) My transfer had the PTO gear so there was a big space to fill once the adapter gear was in place. Call to JT: They tell me it was rare to have this gear and the kit doesn't include the spacer and most people reuse the spacer in their transfer case. This helps me none. As for getting the spacer he tells me to get on line and start searching. @#$#@@#$% So I take the PTO gear to a local machine shop(Tassin &Tassin in north Charleston 843-747-0977) where Kenneth Tassin whips out a spacer to replace the pto gear overnight.

Continued: So now the internals are good but where the shaft comes thru to where the back PTO cover is it looks like there should be some kind of spacer between the seal and the threaded section at the end of the shaft.

Now more fun. Any body know an easy way to shift the transfer case. Neither the 3 spd or 4spd linkage will line up. I called Advanced yesterday but havent heard back. They have a twin stick set up for the 4spd tranny but he wasnt sure if it will work with the 3spd case. Hope to hear back today.

It will all be worth it in the end scott :D sorry to here about JTO, given it is some what a rarity to have a PTO but you would think they would have some kind of plan to address this issue when it comes up other than to say so sorry to bad go else where :hillbilly: glad you got the problem solved; I am sure you could have easily sourced a spacer here on mud as well.

good luck :cheers:

Do you not have a spare a spare 4 speed transfer to rob parts off of? You need the nose cone, linkage, and top cover from the 4 speed case. You would have also had the right spacers as well. If I can be of any assistance let me know. I just did this last month, and I have spare parts at the house.

Jeremy

We finnaly custom fabed a shifter. I have the guys at dent depot getting me the spacers. They strip and sell junked fj's. You've probably seen them on e bay. There stripping one tomorrow and hopefully will have what I need by Friday. All set except for the spacers now. Thanks for all the input. Belmont you doing the get together next month?

We finnaly custom fabed a shifter. I have the guys at dent depot getting me the spacers. They strip and sell junked fj's. You've probably seen them on e bay. There stripping one tomorrow and hopefully will have what I need by Friday. All set except for the spacers now. Thanks for all the input. Belmont you doing the get together next month?

Hope it all works out. No, I can't make it to the get together. I leave Charleston every friday and head home for the weekend. I would like to set up a get together with a few of you during the week though. I've met about four guys in Charleston with 40's so maybe we can have a mid-week FJ40 owners get together.

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom