More on MT/Rs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gumby - I'll delete this shortly, hopefully you don't mind this as it's not me selling them and really only the 80s (and maybe 100's) are running the 16" tires.

There's a guy on the Lone Star Land Cruiser email list selling 4 MT/R's right now 285/75r16 w/ 95% or better tread on them for $375. He's in TX.

Someone in this group, that needs new tires better HOP on this. It ain't gonna last long.
reiter.gif

I have no affiliation - here's his email maverick@cowtown.net

Sorry for the salesiness of this post Woody and Gumby, but it's too good of a deal to pass up although I think MT/Rs suck :D

Junk's right. It shouldn't be here. it should be in the For Sale section, but for the reasons he mentioned and 'cause I never check the for sale section, I'm not invoking the powers of the mighty "move" button right away. If someone buys them, post and I'll delete the whole thread and maybe a few dozen of Wrench's posts too before he catches me. :D

Junk's right. It shouldn't be here. it should be in the For Sale section, but for the reasons he mentioned and 'cause I never check the for sale section, I'm not invoking the powers of the mighty "move" button right away. If someone buys them, post and I'll delete the whole thread and maybe a few dozen of Wrench's posts too before he catches me. Ê:D
:ugh:No!

The above post should be first to go. It has absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever. It is much like this on actually, but mine isn't a one-worder.

:bow: The almighty one-worder Wench

The above post should be first to go. ÊIt has absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever. ÊIt is much like this on actually, but mine isn't a one-worder.

:bow: The almighty one-worder Wench
What!!!

:tear:

Ah, the joys of responding with just a smiley...

For the rest of you guys...

The MT/Rs are great in dry conditions, but as soon as it gets a little bit sloppy or goopy all the benefits go away. If you want a true all-around tire you will not find it with the MT/R. $375 is an amazing price though, just be aware that this tire is more for dry then wet.

MT/R means "Mud Traction Reinforced", but is absolutely lying about the mud part.

Later...

I know I'm opening it up here ::) but what then would be the best all-around tire? Slee Off-Road really recommends the MTRs (which may be the best for me, down in Tucson). What about BFG MTs?

Thanks.

And just wanted to add this one: :banana:

i like my bfg ats for all around tire, think they suck on mud though, turn into a slick- sucks when your backend wants to pass your frontend going down a hill 8)

BFG all terrains are good in everything except mud. I got out of my truck and watched in amazement :cry: :tear: as my 50k worth of landcruiser with ARB lockers front and rear sat in mud that wasn't even up to the lettering on the tires, all four wheels spinning (idle in low range) and it wasn't moving....
Tires make ALL the difference, next time I go with the BFG mud terrains. Anybody have any experience with BFG mud terrains? I will say one more + on the all terrrains, they last forever, I have 22k on them and maybe have lost 1/8 tread, it is really hard to justify to the wife that I need new tires when there is still so much tread left on these....

Yomama

I ran through two sets of the AT's and think they are a decent tire except as mentioned in the mud. One thing I have never seen mentioned is how extremely bad they are in slush. I have driven them on snow and ice at 70MPH and they are great but in slush at 20 it's white knuckle hang on time.
Now running the muds and am very disappointed. I siped them myself hearing that the were wicked on ice. The tread width is thinner in the same size tire as the AT's. Noisier but not a problem. Traction the same in the mud as AT's. Not good on rocks I climbed even with the siping. My last set.
Bill

Photoman,
I had just thought of that other minus you mentioned, slush. I agree, totally white knuckle crossing the "slush line" on the highway.
Not sure what Junks point is with the photo?
So you are not impressed with BFG MT's? Good to know, but now what do I look for? Is there a good mud tire that does good on the highway? Also, how wide can we go without rubbing? I always see the height referenced, but never width.

Yomama

Yes, BFG AT are great except mud, this from personal experience. My problem is that I do not rock crawl, my off road is dirt or mud accordingly. If some of you say that neither the BFG MT or the GY MT/R are good in mud, then what the heck is?

anybody have experience with Dunlop radial mud rovers? I'm about to make my first upsize purchase from stock-size and am planning on buying them.
Price looks good, feedback looks good.

I'll be doing more expedition-type wheeling with some moderate crawling thrown in for good measure.

Matt

Junk, what tire is that?  Michelin? Yokohama Geolander MT?  Anybody got any opinions on that tire...  I was set on the GY MTRs, but now that I hear they suck in mud and wetness, they are out.  Maybe the TRXUS tires...

You all have complained about mud, but left the king mud tire of them all out.... INTERCO SUPER SWAMPERS!!! And for those of you that have to drive from BC down to the states to get out of the frozen stuff not common in Georgia and into the mud, the TSL radial. Rides as smooth as a BFG M/T on road, 3 times as good in the mud. Right now I am running some 15 year old 31x11.5 10% tread left Yokohama Super Diggers unlocked and I've made it through some mud up to hubs (not too deep but for those tires thats incredible).
Anything BFG blows. Granted they last and ride alright, they just aren't any good offroad. At desertrat.com they are within 10 dollars a tire of each other ~$130. NOTHING beats a swamper in the mud.

Junk, what tire is that?  Michelin? ÊYokohama Geolander MT?  Anybody got any opinions on that tire...  I was set on the GY MTRs, but now that I hear they suck in mud and wetness, they are out.  Maybe the TRXUS tires...
Those are XML Michelin radials. They are a military tire. They are excellent on and off road. They have a full steel belted side wall. Very tough!
Here is some more info on the tires:

http://www.d-90.com/tire/mich.html

http://www.mantrac.com.eg/docs/products/ty...yres/trucks.htm

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread....highlight=16x10

http://www.safarigard.com/TIRE%20MAIN.htm

Wrench,

No S**t, that was a genuinely useful post, (unlike the one you are now reading) I'm truly glad to see it. (that is no joke)

Regards....Dan...(got another 8))

BTW I may have to start charging so's I can get me some of those XML's....... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom