More on MT/Rs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can make those XML's a bit more attractive, sort of.... I know a place over seas that has 98 (yes 98, as in 2 less than 100) of them, brandynewsie - cosmetic blems, 325/85R16. $100 a tire. PROBLEM is, a container that will hold roughly 175 tires that size needs to be filled. That's looking at $20k+ investment, or one hell of a group buy!

Those Michelin's are a hell of an aggresive looking tire, the only things I question are the sizes are a tad large and therefor they only rate them at 65 MPH, hell when I pass it can be in access of 90 :D

Yomama

IRe: More on MT/Rs

I feel that I can contribute to this thread. I've wheeled both the BFG AT and Mud Terrain. I have had nothing but good experiences with my Mud Terrains. This is what I've found.

AT's: Great in dry snow, smooth quiet ride on road, useless in mud that is any bit gooey, pretty good overall elsewhere.

Mud Terrains: Awesome in the mud, I'm not sure why people think it isn't. I've been running a narrow section width, and it bordered on incredible in most mud that I've encountered. I like to crawl around through most terrain, no prerunning or anything, and I've been amazed at how with no momentum, on steep inclines with very low traction and uneven terrain, I've been able to chug through. Sand they are decent but my width has hurt me mostly. I haven't had any problems with them on rocks, although I've heard rumors of gashed sidewalls. On the road they sing a little bit but not bad. I was pleasantly suprised with the onroad ride and feel it is a good compromise with on road and off road prowess. I don't have them siped and have found them only adequate in snow. Icey conditions they aren't great. Blasting through deep snow or slush at highway speeds is great. I now have 70,000 miles on these tires, that in itself I feel is amazing. They were in use on my FJ60 and now on my 80. The only thing of concern is the sidwalls show signs of cracking/dry rotting. I definately feel that I've gotten my moneys worth out of them.

I've experienced the boggers on a friend jeep, and I didn't really think that they were THAT much superior. They definately were a compromise on the road. Since I use my 80 for a daily driver and other uses besides dedicated trail rig, I feel that the BFG Mud Terrains are the best all arounders between on and off road competency and life expectancy. That's why I'm going with a set of 33X12.50's next. That should address the concerns I have with my current tires and meet my needs the best. The Good Years MTR's sounded interesting, but from what I hear, they wear quickly and I am not considering them anymore.

upcruiser,

To go with 33X12.50's, won't you need different rims as well?
That is my concern, if I want wider tires I am going to need different rims.

Yomama

H,

Doing the tires first. Hopefully in the next week or so. I really need new tires before I drive out to Moab. My goal is for a winch by June or so but we'll see. I might be getting laid off since the college is proposing my team as one of two teams to get cut for next year. If that is the case, and I have work lined up for next fall, then I'm going to blow some of my severence on Cruiser upgrades like a winch, sliders, rear bumper. I'm considering stopping in at Slee's on the way through to Utah and having him do a snorkel install, but the dates aren't going to work out now I don't believe. I'm to chicken sh@#$t to do that one myself. So many mods, so little money! :D

The snorkel install is easy. Remember, Measure Twice, Drill Once....Really, very easy. I was more nervous about measuring than drilling, and the final product is worth it. Have fun in Moab; Go with the BFG MTs!

-H-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom