More fuel range for the late 100... Or sell it and start over? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah you should definitely just sell it.

Seriously though, when do you ever find yourself driving 250+ miles without a gas station in between. I have been all over the west and rarely even tap into my spare fuel tanks. I am a very impatient person but stopping the rig after blowing through a full tank a gas to refuel and chill out for a few is never a bad idea for man and machine ( and dog )

I know you said you're not interested but take that yeti off your bumper and put two jerry cans there.

It's about smiles per gallon, not miles.

I have wondered what the big difference is between the 06/07 and earlier fuel tanks. I remember reading a reply from LRA that indicated the floor structure is different in the 06/07 100's. Since the tank sits against the floor and uses floor structure to hold it up I could see how there might interference. The million dollar questions is... exactly how different is the floor structure? My speculation is that the floors are not different enough that the LRA tank couldn't be made to fit. In looking at pictures of stock replacement fuel tanks for the 06/07 vs earlier models, there are a few differences, but the general shape is still the same.

I would take the gamble and buy the LRA main tank with the expectation of needing to do some cutting/welding on the body of the vehicle to make it fit. But I am biased and LOVE the easy 400 (500 if I really try) mile range with 40 gallons of fuel on board :moon:

Top of my 1999 fuel tank:
IMG_20200210_165825.jpg

Top of 06/07 fuel tank:
s-l400.jpg

Best view I have of the top of the LRA tank:
IMG_20200211_195522.jpg

The tanks are very similar with the biggest difference being the vent location.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need a 200 series and the 12.5 gallon AUX tank that lets you keep the spare underneath.....

Bashing OP (@GTV) for wanting to carry more fuel is just absurd. Having a 40G tank is actually a pretty big improvement IMO. You don't realize how useful it is until you get one.
Looks like there are a couple of decent options discussed here:
a) Buy an LRA tank and try to modify it to fit
b) build a simple squarish aux tank and put it in place of spare tire (since your spare is already on the back bumper!)

Bashing OP (@GTV) for wanting to carry more fuel is just absurd. Having a 40G tank is actually a pretty big improvement IMO. You don't realize how useful it is until you get one.
b) build a simple squarish aux tank and put it in place of spare tire (since your spare is already on the back bumper!)
Nobodys bashing. Just pointing out that selling the rig over wanting more fuel on board can be overcome with a few different options.

A) Risky, no guarantee that it will work.
B) My spare is under the truck. And why would creating my own aux tank be less problematic than LRA’s aux tank? I *might* consider relocating my spare and adding an aux tank if it was proven but it isn’t.

Nobodys bashing. Just pointing out that selling the rig over wanting more fuel on board can be overcome with a few different options.

The only current viable option is fuel cans unless I’m missing something.

I'd sell it and buy a Subaru. :flipoff2:

Seriously though, I've been going back and forth about a better way to carry extra gas for a long time. I hate having the rotopax tanks hanging off the side of my roof rack. I think it comes down to a custom fab in the spare tire location like @Moridinbg installed. A good excuse to practice my tig welds.

I did spend some time researching fuel bladders in doors, though. Ultimately, I decided against it because I have plans to use that space for a custom - side - nightvision system. I think it will be very helpful for navigating the mall parking lot after hours.

Man, if you think you have it bad with the 5 speed, please take a moment for us guys with the 4 speed that have to tow in 3rd gear at 4500 RPM the whole time.

This is gonna be my next project, so I’m following along … I’ll be relocating spare to a new rear bumper, so I’ll have a little room freed up. I’m committed to increasing the fuel capacity, no exceptions. Curious to see if anyone finds a solution for the 06 and 07 trucks. I’m open to the idea of complete custom fabrication and relocating the charcoal canister or whatever I need to do. But one way or another it will happen. Distances between fuel stops or just finding fuel at all in some countries it’s very difficult. Bolivia comes to mind. The continent of Africa comes to mind… I was buying fuel in milk jugs out of the back of family markets in Bolivia.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need a 200 series and the 12.5 gallon AUX tank that lets you keep the spare underneath.....

Interesting that you mentioned this. LRA supports the full run ('08-'21) of the 200 series. Matter of fact, it appears as if the late 100 is the only Land Cruiser ever sold in the U.S. that LRA does not support. Did the late 100 really have a complete bastard of an EVAP system?

If it's as easy as tweaking the fit and/or re routing the lines, I'm all in. Gotta wonder, if it was that easy then why hasn't LRA bothered to do it? They used to offer a sub tank (not a main tank, interestingly) for the late 100 but eventually stopped because enough people experienced issues with it.

I now live about 5 minutes away from LRA's HQ. I'm tempted to bother them in person but I get the impression that it's little more than a warehouse.

I'm not actively searching for a replacement 100 but if I tripped over the right one I wouldn't hesitate.

LRA is the US distributor for the Australian brand. The 100 with VVTI was never sold in Australia where their engineering and manufacturing is located. Maybe someone could ship them a US VVTI fuel tank and they could be persuaded to make one. Might be worth trying to put together a group buy to make it worth while. We are now 2 generations of Land Cruiser ahead of the 100 so it's not exactly an emerging market.

LRA is the US distributor for the Australian brand. The 100 with VVTI was never sold in Australia where their engineering and manufacturing is located. Maybe someone could ship them a US VVTI fuel tank and they could be persuaded to make one. Might be worth trying to put together a group buy to make it worth while. We are now 2 generations of Land Cruiser ahead of the 100 so it's not exactly an emerging market.

I'm aware. I'd be shocked if there was a half dozen of us who were willing to pony up right now.

It sure seems as if the differences could be overcome. I'm not sure if I want to be the one shelling out $2500 to be the guinea pig though.

Man, if you think you have it bad with the 5 speed, please take a moment for us guys with the 4 speed that have to tow in 3rd gear at 4500 RPM the whole time.
I actually just felt sick thinking about that... 5 speed and VVTi makes 4th look easy. I feel for you damn

I'll admit to skimming some of this but has anyone suggested the analog solution to this?
Namely Jerry Cans or Rotopax?

Just because your engine doesn't have direct, hands-free access to it doesn't mean you can't just simply bring more fuel.

Edit: must have missed OP's lack of interest for analog solutions

Last edited:
As I mentioned LRA is right down the road from me. A couple months ago I decided to stop by and see what I could learn. I can't remember who I talked with but upon introducing myself and my '07 LC he immediately told me "You're screwed!" 😂 Anyway, he was more than happy to take some time to show me around the shop. He agreed that a larger main tank is definitely possible but there will likely be clearance issues due to the different crossmember. I speculate that the necessary clearance could easily be made, worst case an early crossmember could be swapped in. If there are floor differences hopefully my 1/2" body lift will help. He theorized that the simplicity of the larger main vs adding an aux tank shouldn't upset the evap system but of course there's no way to know for sure until someone tries. In any case he said he would be happy to sell a tank to any 05+ owner willing to take the chance but don't expect any tech help, you are 100% on your own.

I know you said you're not interested but take that yeti off your bumper and put two jerry cans there.

The Yeti lives there when in camp mode. It travels inside.

Last edited:
FWIW, I put a LRA replacement tank in my ‘03 LC and it is wonderful.

The ‘03 has rust problems (which is related to the fact I needed to replace the original gas tank) so I recently bought an ‘05 LX470.

I eliminated ‘06-‘07 from my criteria due to the fact that they will not fit the LRA tank from my ‘03, which will be swapped into my “new” ‘05 LX two weeks from now. (The LC will be relegated to winter beater status).

40 gallons is the right amount for this vehicle. The ability to drive by gas stations without worrying about getting to the next is well worth the price of admission. Especially if you need to replace the tank any way as I did.

Last edited:
FWIW, I put a LRA replacement tank in my ‘03 LC and it is wonderful.

The ‘03 has rust problems (which is related to the fact I needed to replace the original gas tank) so I recently bought an ‘05 LX470.

I eliminated ‘06-‘07 from my criteria due to the fact that they will not fit the LRA tank from my ‘03, which will be swapped into my “new” LX two weeks from now. (The LC will be relegated to winter beater status).

40 gallons is the right amount for this vehicle. The ability to drive by gas stations without worrying about getting to the next is well worth the price of admission. Especially if you need to replace the tank any way as I did.

What is the build month on your '05?

What is the build month on your '05?
I forget off hand but it’s late ‘04… as I understand it any ‘05 will work for LRA replacement tank. I believe it is only the vvti 100 series that are not compatible. So ‘05 is the most recent model year that will work.

If I ever turn this LX into a legit overland rig I will almost certainly add the LRA aux tank too.

I forget off hand but it’s late ‘04… as I understand it any ‘05 will work for LRA replacement tank. I believe it is only the vvti 100 series that are not compatible. So ‘05 is the most recent model year that will work.

If I ever turn this LX into a legit overland rig I will almost certainly add the LRA aux tank too.

Not exactly. The evap system change came first. Post May 2004 is not supported.

Not exactly. The evap system change came first. Post May 2004 is not supported.

Well that's really interesting. Earlier this year I contacted their support site. I just took these screenshots from the exchange...

LRA 1.jpg

That "FIT UP TO MAY 2005" text was an actual copy/paste from their website at that time.

LRA 2.jpg

FWIW, I did not buy the vehicle from that photo... I wound up buying a different LX470 with a date of of 08/04.

That tank better fkn fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom