More complex of an Ackerman angle question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got the high steer and knuckles back for the SD D60 front axle. I’m wanting to start getting things setup for TRE’s gonna roll a wheel/tire in the garage and check arm clearance by throwing a brake rotor and unit bearing in the wheel and then drop the knuckle on it maybe later today.

the question is thus:
When you line up Ackerman angle for drilling location, your lining it up to the kingpin, ball joint or pivot point. The centreline of this point isn’t a straight line up or down but rather points outwards towards center of tire patch.

so, am I using the centreline of the pivot point at the height or location of the steering arm (at point where it attaches) or just the average point of centreline )which would be a floating point that exists in the middle of the hub around where the middle of u joint or birfield pivots at its most central point) ?

CAE50695-07CF-404D-8EE1-F737DE0ADD91.jpeg

2BEEAD6E-C4C2-46DC-B723-C1AEEC8475B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Upper ball joint in this case since it is in the same horizontal plane with where the tie rod connection will be. That is per my suspension expert friend

1049DEA1-CAA4-44D9-89BA-3D85005B7919.jpeg

I like the way you keyed that arm into the knuckle

he's asking about determining the short linkage vectors. which would be the shortest distance from the tie-rod connection to the kingpin axis inclination. which in his case would be the upper kingpin/balljoint.

I bet there's so much compliance from the 42" tire on the 17" wheel that it doesn't matter if your ackermann angle is a few degrees off between paper and reality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom