Monthly meeting place at Kilroys 730pm on first wed each month (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Happy Friday,

New to the scene and was turned on to this club by captainva from another thread on this forum. Looking to listen, learn and get to know local enthusiasts.

Cheers!
Hope to see you at one of the meetings but will for sure be at fall crawl if you can come

Happy Friday,

New to the scene and was turned on to this club by captainva from another thread on this forum. Looking to listen, learn and get to know local enthusiasts.

Cheers!
welcome to the club! What do you drive? What do you want to do with your truck? Did you know that DiffKraken got a 200-series?

welcome to the club! What do you drive? What do you want to do with your truck? Did you know that DiffKraken got a 200-series?
Hi Kevin, I have a 2008 GX470 Nordic Blue completely stock with 112K miles. Currently ordering Bilstein 6112 2" lift front and 5160s rear w// Icon rear coil conversion kit and SPCs. I just got a quote for over $3K to install this equipment. Does anyone know of a local mechanic or member who you know that can do this for less?

No I did not know that.

Cheers!

Hi Kevin, I have a 2008 GX470 Nordic Blue completely stock with 112K miles. Currently ordering Bilstein 6112 2" lift front and 5160s rear w// Icon rear coil conversion kit and SPCs. I just got a quote for over $3K to install this equipment. Does anyone know of a local mechanic or member who you know that can do this for less?

No I did not know that.

Cheers!
If you have the struts assembled, you can do this in your driveway over two half days.

OTRAMM, Extra Mile Performance, Ayelstock Automotive, GT Peace, Iron Pig Offroad, and NOVA Speed Shop are some of the shops in the area that club members have used. It may be worth reaching out to get some quotes, as $3000 in labor to install a lift kit doesn’t sound right. You should know that most of these shops require you to buy the parts through them, they are tired of dealing with incompetent owners bringing them the wrong parts among other reasons (not saying that’s you, but they never know until it’s inconvenient for them).

No I did not know that.

Cheers!

If you get the 6112s those should come with the front already assembled so that removed the sketchiest part, compressing the springs to make them work. Installing the struts and UCAs is something that you can easily knock out in 8 hours as long as you have the right parts and basic tools. If you want to send me your part list I can double check it. What @bkfj40 and @TTViper said is right on the money though

No I did not know that.

Cheers!
Does that include the parts? That is insanely expensive.

OTRAMM, Extra Mile Performance, Ayelstock Automotive, GT Peace, Iron Pig Offroad, and NOVA Speed Shop are some of the shops in the area that club members have used. It may be worth reaching out to get some quotes, as $3000 in labor to install a lift kit doesn’t sound right. You should know that most of these shops require you to buy the parts through them, they are tired of dealing with incompetent owners bringing them the wrong parts among other reasons (not saying that’s you, but they never know until it’s inconvenient for them).
That kind of makes sense, and would be open to it if it helps. Thanks for the info, I will call right away.

If you get the 6112s those should come with the front already assembled so that removed the sketchiest part, compressing the springs to make them work. Installing the struts and UCAs is something that you can easily knock out in 8 hours as long as you have the right parts and basic tools. If you want to send me your part list I can double check it. What @bkfj40 and @TTViper said is right on the money though
This order summary is from Shock Surplus and was reassured I would not need anything else for this install:
Order summary
Icon Rear Coil Conversion Kit for 2003-2009 Lexus GX470 4WD × 1
$75.96

Specialty SPC Adjustable Control Arm Kit 25480 × 1
$695.95

Bilstein 6112 Strut & Spring Assembled + Rear B8 5160 Reservoir Shocks Set for 2007-2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD RWD × 1
All Specs / #5
$1,376.94

Icon 2" Lift Rear Coil Spring Kit for 2003-2009 Lexus GX470 4WD w/2" lift × 1
$234.95

I had to take off the Dobinson springs as OTRAMM will not touch them, they work w/ cruiser outfitter which seems to only use OME.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Does that include the parts? That is insanely expensive.
That's what I thought, I had originally searched for a local shop that would recommend, order and install the parts but was unable to find one that had experience with a GX470. When I asked if they have any experience with GX470s they recommended I call cruiser outfitters for advise and as stated previously they only deal with OME vs the parts I previously listed. So I had to locate another shop to order from, so although I get that they may be frustrated with owners not ordering complete or correct parts but here is where I am.

Hello out there! I’m a bit new to the NCR & this is my first post on IH8Mud. I’ve looked through these local forums since I got out here in Jan ‘21. But last week I ran into one of the club members & we BS’d for about 45 mins. Figured I should finally check in and say hi.

I’m military and was stationed on Okinawa Japan before coming to VA. I brought back a 1989 HJ60/12HT, in my profile pic. I’m hoping to make it to Kilroy’s next time & say hi in person. Cheers

@Uri welcome to the club.
There’s another HJ60 from Japan in the club @kevin in okinawa his is heavily modified.

Reactions: Uri
Hello out there! I’m a bit new to the NCR & this is my first post on IH8Mud. I’ve looked through these local forums since I got out here in Jan ‘21. But last week I ran into one of the club members & we BS’d for about 45 mins. Figured I should finally check in and say hi.

I’m military and was stationed on Okinawa Japan before coming to VA. I brought back a 1989 HJ60/12HT, in my profile pic. I’m hoping to make it to Kilroy’s next time & say hi in person. Cheers
Welcome!

Reactions: Uri

Hello Uri and welcome! I too came here from Okinawa with a RHD HJ61, congratulations! From the single photo it looks like you scored a really clean and well-kept version. I assume it's an auto, does it have cable lockers down there to the left of your driver seat? I look forward to seeing it some day. The guys in this club are quite helpful and knowledgeable, the cost of membership is worth the access to so many resources. What branch of the service? There are a few other veterans in here to; me, USMC.

NCR you mean "national capital region?" if so, use DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia), you'll sound like a local in no time. :)

Last edited:
Hello Uri and welcome! I too came here from Okinawa with a RHD HJ61, congratulations! From the single photo it looks like you scored a really clean and well-kept version. I assume it's an auto, does it have cable lockers down there to the left of your driver seat? I look forward to seeing it some day. The guys in this club are quite helpful and knowledgeable, the cost of membership is worth the access to so many resources. What branch of the service? There are a few other veterans in here to; me, USMC.

NCR you mean "national capital region?" if so, use DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia), you'll sound like a local in no time. :)
Thanks! Yeah it’s automatic, no cable lockers. Pretty sure it used to have a stock/ built in winch. No winch anymore but it has the control/lever to the left of my gear shift. Eventually I’ll see about adding that. I tried to look at the club by-laws but that page was blank, so other than meeting the club member randomly a few weeks back, I don’t know much about membership. I’m AF and really appreciating Okinawa now that I’m out here in the big city! Looking forward to meeting up sometime & thanks for the pro tip (DMV). Take care

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom