Builds Montana 65 FJ45LV "Tin Zen" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to clarify, Classic Cruisers has been great. The questionable donk was purchased from a private party, Classic Cruisers just re-seal it for me. In their defense, the engine noises couldn't be heard over the racket of not having an exhaust system. Classic Cruisers then were also really good sports about acquiring that old motor from me.

Well that’s good to hear. I was trying not to be negative in my post.

Glad you are getting it sorted! That new engine is 🔥!!! You will be back up and running soon it looks like!

Bump for progress update... Anything? Bueler... Bueler?
Barely any progress. The most recent chapter has been long and frustrating. I tried to set up an Offenhauser twin-carb intake with a pair of SD40's but after trying several configurations and adjustments it just wasn't right. It was no small task assembling the pieces for the Offy intake, such as a split fuel rail, split air filter, and the dual throttle linkage, all period correct first Gen FJ40 mods. The Offy intake also necessitated that the oil filter housing be re-located. Currently though it's all yanked and sitting on the shelf and it's running the OEM intake.
20230918_185419.jpg

20230918_185410.jpg

20230918_185404.jpg

20230918_185359.jpg

20230910_151158.jpg

Wow! That was snuck in in the dark of night 😂.

You beat me to using SD40’s in your dually carb setup, mine are sitting on the shelf and I’m still running the Carter WA1’s. Runs pretty good so I haven’t been inclined to swap them out (have to put rebuild kits into the SD40s first as well). But I’m not pushing the rig, just motoring around on dirt roads and the dry ground hills. What is “just not right” alluding to? I think you and I are the only misfits running the dual carb thingy on 1Fs.

Where’d you get the air horn intake adapters for the carbs? I have’t found anything like yours that fits the small 1-barrel carbs. So I’m using individual air filters, with lots of chrome so everything looks really redneck 😂.

Are you pulling dizzy vacuum advance from just one of the carbs? Not sure from first pic but looks like it.

Last edited:
Always thought how cool that would be (and difficult to build), the dual single barrels. I'm curious too what wasnt working? Too hard to dial in? Hesitation? Idle?

I've wondered about using three side draft Carter YHs from the '53 Corvette set up. Not sure how to source a manifold though. The carbs aren't hard to come by, as they were also used in the turbo'd Corvair and marine applications.

Barely any progress. The most recent chapter has been long and frustrating. I tried to set up an Offenhauser twin-carb intake with a pair of SD40's but after trying several configurations and adjustments it just wasn't right. It was no small task assembling the pieces for the Offy intake, such as a split fuel rail, split air filter, and the dual throttle linkage, all period correct first Gen FJ40 mods. The Offy intake also necessitated that the oil filter housing be re-located. Currently though it's all yanked and sitting on the shelf and it's running the OEM intake.
View attachment 3489042

View attachment 3489043

View attachment 3489044

View attachment 3489045

View attachment 3489046
I have for years been curious about the dual carb setups, just mostly for coolness sake but after studying up on it it did seem like it would be really difficult to get it all dialed in. Had not even got as far as to see of the clearance issues that you experienced. And I definitely didn't ever have the complete setup either! Just the intake and carbs. Sounds like probably not worth all the effort? Wish it had been that would have been interesting! The rest of us mudders appreciate the effort, if thats any solace :)

I wonder if there’s any Offenhauser expertise still around anymore with the dual carb setups? I believe they still make manifolds, etc. Anyone ping them recently? The street rod community that still dabbles in the dual carb world is a smidgeon of help, also the VW gangsters, but being in a different application realm it’s not too much help. I haven’t put my 45 rig into any extreme offroad situations but of which I have I haven’t experienced a fuel delivery issue at angle with the dual Carter setup like I have with my single Carter carb’d 40, FWTW.

Still waiting on some OP input on related experience.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, Classic Cruisers has been great. The questionable donk was purchased from a private party, Classic Cruisers just re-seal it for me. In their defense, the engine noises couldn't be heard over the racket of not having an exhaust system. Classic Cruisers then were also really good sports about acquiring that old motor from me.
Thank you for the kind words Steve, the engine is looking great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom