Monstalining my project Need help deciding color (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's this costing you guys? Or how much are you using to coat the whole 80?

Was thinking of something along these lines down the road. Looks cool!

Edit: turns out all my questions are answered in another thread I had not noticed.

It's the best $300 paint job you will ever find! Here's what I posted in my thread. The more time you spend in prep and tear-down the better it will look. If you're sloppy with removing parts and taping things off, it will show when all's said and done. If you want a good looking finish, REMOVE everything you can, don't just tape it off. Lights, emblems, trim, etc etc. Door handles were a pain in the ass to remove but it makes it look THAT much better since you can separate the black rubber trim from the paint.

- Prep, prep, prep. Don't try to save time here. Make sure the surface is completely clean and use lots of MEK

- MEK is no joke. Even using it outdoors will get you light-headed. This is a seriously nasty solvent. Use common sense.

- Make sure you have lots of light. Get some big halogen shop lights and aim them at the panel you're painting.

- You can't take your time while rolling. This stuff sets up FAST, even on a day that was in the 80s. By the end of the gallon it was like painting with oatmeal.

- 2 gallons is BARELY enough to do the entire exterior on an 80. I barely had enough to do a thick 2nd coat on the passenger side so the texture isn't as nice as the driver side.

- Buy lots of extra rollers. I went through 7 of them. As the paint sets, it gets thick and starts to tear off chunks of the foam while rolling.

- Have a set of tweezers ready to pick crap out of the paint.

- This stuff is messy, be ready for it ahead of time. Lots of plastic drop clothes and gloves.

- Having a helper is a good idea to remove the masking tape AS SOON as the 2nd coat is done. Otherwise it will set up and make it more difficult to remove after you're done with the whole truck.

- If you have the space and the tools, definitely spray this stuff on. Would make your life a whole lot easier. Rolling isn't hard, just very time consuming.

- Remove all the parts you can instead of masking them off. Takes more time, but gives a much cleaner look. Door handles for example. Pain in the ass to remove but I'm glad I did since I was able to separate the piece of black trim from the rest of the paint.

Sorry. Carry on. Good luck choosing. I'm sure it'll look good either way.

Last edited:
Your truck looks very matte in this picture, as opposed to the Jeep at the top of the thread. How shiny/matte is this stuff normally?

It looks very different depending upon the current conditions... that picture, the sun was on the other side...

Slightly different angle that same day:
LCtracks002_zpsbab7e24e.jpg

In my driveway, in direct sunlight:
FJZ80_liner1_zpscc976b1e.jpg

Overcast and rainy:
FJZ80_liner_zpsa89c7ec1.jpg

And it almost disappears at night:
StealthCruiser_zpsb871d9f0.jpg

NO BLACK!!! The white over black is overdone. (I've never liked it, personally)

Have Monstaliner tint it to your factory white color-code is my vote.

I luv the the orange with blk or with white on top and orange on bottom this is my plan same line for the paint

image.jpg

this was my thought, i went with desert tan, as my truck was orig white, blends well without to much contrast . imo.

This is what I was talking about in regards to the tan not contrasting as much with the white. The door jams, etc left white.

IMG_0190.JPG

This is what I was talking about in regards to the tan not contrasting as much with the white. The door jams, etc left white.

View attachment 959012

In your pics the tan looks really light, lighter then the old Toyota tan. Hummm... Maybe it's the light.

In your pics the tan looks really light, lighter then the old Toyota tan. Hummm... Maybe it's the light.
Trying to think of 40/60 tan LC around here I could compare. I really didn't put much thought into it. When I dropped my truck off at the shop that did it, I hadn't picked a color yet. The owner owns a toyota mini truck that was done in the tan color that looked good and since he already had a batch of up it tinted and mixed up I just had him go with that. FWIW it's done with Raptor liner. The shop is: http://www.hncusa.com/

Monstaliner really plays tricks on you depending on the lighting. Don't trust the color samples on their website. After all, look at what they say Sans Panties is:

monstaliner-sans-panties-150x150.jpg

compared to what it looks like in daylight. Sometimes it's a dark green. Sometimes it looks very yellow. Don't make a decision based on web pics. Spend the $7 and get the full set of color chips and view them from all angles to make sure you're happy.

15241177626_900256c5ec_h.jpg

@autoluxury I have the full sample kit with me, Pyroclastic is nearly black. 1st column, 2nd chip down.

Dessert sand sample doesn't look like sand at all, 2nd column 3rd row, it is slightly olive green.
The sample on the right of it is yank my doodle, I think i like that one best so far.
20141029_072402_zps08tgad08.jpg

@autoluxury I have the full sample kit with me, Pyroclastic is nearly black. 1st column, 2nd chip down.

Dessert sand sample doesn't look like sand at all, 2nd column 3rd row, it is slightly olive green.
The sample on the right of it is yank my doodle, I think i like that one best so far.

I think your color chips are mislabeled... Desert sand should be second over on the top, that looks like my color chip that's labeled desert sand.

That green one that seems like it's WWII green.

Again these darn things look so different depending on light conditions.

Personally I'm leaning towards Barbaric...

You might be right about the mislabeling, but I doubt it, they paint a large sheet and cut it out.
The WWII OD is much darker in comparison, here's a pic for visual.
Black vs Pyroclastic, Barbaric.
Dessert Sand, WWII OD, Yank my doodle.
20141029_082129_zps3civzeol.jpg

That is not right at all. 1st column 2nd chip is Black. 2nd column 2nd chip is Pyroclastic. 3rd column 1st chip looks like Medium Quartz Gray (or Light). 2nd column 3rd chip is NOT Desert Sand. Could be a new color, doesn't look like WWII OD Green. Desert Sand is 2nd row 1st chip.

From my samples...middle is Sans Panties and right is WWII OD Green

8545522999_da3d08a9bb_h.jpg

I'm just going by the labels they have on there, glossy make you think it's black but it's very dark gray.
You can see on my second pic black next to pyroclastic at a slightly different angle.
Keep in mind we have different monitors and settings so you may have a different perspective, in addition, not everyone see the same colors.

Here's a few more real life pics. I've never seen Pyro look that black from any angle when looking at my color chips.

Pyro

1385937d1401809062-monstaliner-interiors-exteriors-photo-1.jpg

Pyro

IMG_20140811_185255_000_zpscf24e4f0.jpg

Pyro

1434122d1403741106-introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-pyroclastic-rolled-86-chevy-k10.jpg

Pyro indoors, as black as it will look

1121609d1393393029t-introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-20130115_211854.jpg

Pyro (same truck from above)

1434130d1403741106t-introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-20130209_143931.jpg

OD Green

1409081d1402776831t-introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-65635_10151643719992931_249463713_n.jpg

OD Green

1409073d1402776831t-introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-mike_breaker_5-94yj-dsc06627.jpg

Medium Quartz Gray

1434146d1403741106t-introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-s6300630.jpg

Ok but we all agree barbaric is pink right... :p no matter who's eyes or monitor or lighting condition.

Pyro

1037369d1390887699t-introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-img_0225_zps58657449.jpg

Pyro

1037377d1390887699t-introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-img_0229_zps4794e751.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom