MONSTALINER on a 100 Series Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

atnolan94

I'm Your Huckleberry
Threads
I did something I have been talking about for two years....I monstalined my 100!! @magnetman
AF411C56-2FE0-4936-AA00-7CB32C6A9192.jpeg

When I got my 100 I knew the paint was not great. To my dismay about a week later when I pulled my fender flares to find thedealer I bought it from applied the rear flares with thick black epoxy. The epoxy that didn’t peel paint of completely was completely stuck on there. There was no getting it off without paint damage. On that day in February 2018 I said I’d monstaline it, and I finally did.

There are countless resources (YouTube) and the instructions are very clear, so rather than regurgitate those, i will just provide some random commentary. There’s a YouTube video called something like “what I’ve learned after

I did the tintable liner in Light Quartz Grey. It reads like a cement in daylight. It’s not quite matte, but definitely not glossy. The texture is much like a textured drywall in a house. Not that gritty abrasive liner like lineX. You could easily run a towel across it without it getting hung up.

Prep is key! I spent a ton of time prepping. A ton. Follow the monstaliner instructions closely. 150 grit sandpaper worked better for me than the scuffing pads. Tape as accuaratepy as you can, but just know this stuff is THICK and you’ll never quite get the lines perfect, but for a $350 paint job I could not be happier.

Rolling is on is easy, but mixing the color and catalyst is downright stressful. Be sure to use new everything for the second coat; new mixing wand, new roller tray, new brushes, new roller.

I used foam brushes to cut in panels before rolling them. Cut in a panel and then roll it. Then move to the next panel. This stuff dries ridiculously fast.

Speaking of fast dry. It will cake on your roller tray, in the roller, on the brushes. If it starts caking, stop. Geta new roller, get a new tray, get new brushes.

People always say they have issues with roller degradation in the rollers they provide. First, you 100% need to use those rollers to get the texture. Second, don’t apply any pressure on the roller. If it runs out of paint, go back for more. It’s thick, lay it on thick. I used a full gallon on coat one and like less than half a gallon on my second. Mind you I did my roof in black with a black liner, and that would’ve taken a tremendous amount of monstaliner.

I would be hesitant to do a massive color change, because you'd have to be way way more thorough, and I was pretty dang thorough, like 18+ hours of work....I pulled my front bumper, roof rack, sliders, lights, grille, etc.

Im beyond excited by the results. I know there hasn’t been much discussion about monstaliner onnthe 100 board (some 80s some 60s), so I really just want to open it up for questions. Ask away!

C1D02807-82E5-488F-929B-EB15C5106EBA.jpeg
FBD92ABA-8354-4116-9203-8451BDB31038.jpeg
6AFC1712-C28D-479C-AF38-F9EA97B998B2.jpeg
25EDFB7D-BE69-4468-BBAC-5CE4C043FD8D.jpeg

Good color choice. If it ever chalks up due to UV rays, it should still look okay.

It's not for me, but that cement color looks AMAZING. Nice work!

Definitely a no go on a generally stock vehicle. And at the end of the day it’s a $300 paint job, but I’m super happy with the finish quality given that. Thanks!

Looks really good. Bed liner as a paint job is just the dumbest thing a person can do to their vehicle, but this product actually looks presentable. My clear-coat is peeling in several places and I don’t want to pay good money just to go pinstripe it on the trail. May end up going this route.

Looks really good. Bed liner as a paint job is just the dumbest thing a person can do to their vehicle, but this product actually looks presentable. My clear-coat is peeling in several places and I don’t want to pay good money just to go pinstripe it on the trail. May end up going this route.

For a trail/trip rig on 35s and tons of practical offroad goodies, I think this coating is very on-brand. Practical as can be. To your point, would you rather have a bedlined truck or pinstriped paint? But yeah I 100% get your point, nothing worse than a brand new, expensive TRD pro 4R (or whatever) sprayed with black LineX. I think the tintable monstaliner is super professional. It is a bedliner, but was ultimately designed to be a vehicle coating. Ironically based on the texture I think it would make a pretty poor bedliner! Look, its a $300 coating job, but given that, I am super happy with it.

For a trail/trip rig on 35s and tons of practical offroad goodies, I think this coating is very on-brand. Practical as can be.

Agreed. It looks like an industrial type paint used on mining equipment or something.

To your point, would you rather have a bedlined truck or pinstriped paint?

LineX just looks like vomit as a “paint job”. I would rather have my current pinstripes and flaking clear-coat.

You've got all the right mods to pull this off, and rig looks great! Don't think this would work on a stock 100.

You've got all the right mods to pull this off, and rig looks great! Don't think this would work on a stock 100.

Agree 100%. Headlights and grille, bumpers, 35s, etc.

Would you say that your application was pretty uniform?

I've seen probably 6 60s and 80s now up close and they've all had thick/thin spots that I think make it not look great. That's my main hesitation, in addition to all the required prep...

Would you say that your application was pretty uniform?

I've seen probably 6 60s and 80s now up close and they've all had thick/thin spots that I think make it not look great. That's my main hesitation, in addition to all the required prep...

Yeah honestly I think sticking close to your original color helps. It also seems that this stuff turns out better in lighter colors. Everything I saw and read, the darker you go the more inconsistent you get. If you lay it on thick it helps as well. Here is my hood.

F6E9C65B-3007-4827-995A-1E11B7C834A2.jpeg

Andrew, that looks awesome! Love the cement color. Perfect shade for this type of coating on a light color rig. I can appreciate that prep work and the fine tuning required to get the texture right. On our SS1 systems it took quite a few attempts to get roll-on bedliner to look right.

You're gonna turn a lot of heads with that.

I'll have to stop by and check this out next time we make it to the same event. HIHX?

Yeah honestly I think sticking close to your original color helps. It also seems that this stuff turns out better in lighter colors. Everything I saw and read, the darker you go the more inconsistent you get. If you lay it on thick it helps as well. Here is my hood.

View attachment 2255068
It turned out great!

Now that you mention darker being an issue, most of these were darker colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom