MONSTALINER on a 100 Series Land Cruiser (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Andrew, that looks awesome! Love the cement color. Perfect shade for this type of coating on a light color rig. I can appreciate that prep work and the fine tuning required to get the texture right. On our SS1 systems it took quite a few attempts to get roll-on bedliner to look right.

You're gonna turn a lot of heads with that.

I'll have to stop by and check this out next time we make it to the same event. HIHX?

Hey Andy thanks! Yes I’ll be at HIHX. I was just saying to a couple friends I think I’ll get a lot of questions and comments about the liner at HIH.

Looking forward to catching up!

It turned out great!

Now that you mention darker being an issue, most of these were darker colors.

Yeah it’s just a running theory, I still think the big deal is how close you stick to original. For example here are my jambs (which btw don’t look completely ridiculous since the color is close).

BD84344D-6457-49A3-A48F-983CE7842121.jpeg

Looks great.
So you brushed a whole panel then rolled it, or just brushed all the edges and tricky bits, then rolled the hole thing?
How did you deal with the door handles, texture wise? I saw they recommend a sponge to get the texture after you brush an area. Got my color chips yesterday. Really liking the deep blue and maroon but not sure if i could live with them every day so may go with a shade or two of greys.

Looks great.
So you brushed a whole panel then rolled it, or just brushed all the edges and tricky bits, then rolled the hole thing?
How did you deal with the door handles, texture wise? I saw they recommend a sponge to get the texture after you brush an area. Got my color chips yesterday. Really liking the deep blue and maroon but not sure if i could live with them every day so may go with a shade or two of greys.

You just cut in with the brush, so all the edges and corners and tight spaces and panel gaps. Then you roll the whole panel. The instructions tell you to cut in the whole vehicle first then roll the whole vehicle, but I think it makes more sense to cut in one panel and roll one panel. If you cut the whole think in it would be dryby the time you come Back to roll it for texture.

You're truck looks great! Nice work. Not sure I would do it, but your result looks better than I have seen before.

See ya at HIHX

Honestly when I read the title of the thread I cringed. But after seeing your work I’m super impressed! I requested some samples because I’m considering doing my hood and roof. Thanks for the inspiration! I think it looks awesome! Good color choice too!

I like the “paint” job but let’s talk about what’s going on with those front hubs!!!

@cruiseroutfit !! This is the new part time kit that works with US Spec CV’s. The hubs bolt right on!

I think it looks great. Couple of questions, as I want to do this to use this stuff on my ski boat trailer.

I see in the close-up pictures there are areas where you were able to lay it down almost perfectly, and some areas with "inclusions" aka little pieces of something. Is it dust, roller, brush, bits of the Monstaliner gumming up on you?

What temperature did you lay this down in?

These are the inclusions I'm curious about. Just to be clear too; I'm not being critical of how this turned out, I've done paint on vehicles before in my own garage and know its all balancing the result with prep and cost. I think a lot more people are going to want to do this as their cruisers age and am interested in how we learn from your process.

1585751740964.png

From other Monstaliner posts the "chunks" start to come from rollers as the coating starts to gel during application, and pulling pieces off the rollers.

I think it looks great. Couple of questions, as I want to do this to use this stuff on my ski boat trailer.

I see in the close-up pictures there are areas where you were able to lay it down almost perfectly, and some areas with "inclusions" aka little pieces of something. Is it dust, roller, brush, bits of the Monstaliner gumming up on you?

What temperature did you lay this down in?

These are the inclusions I'm curious about. Just to be clear too; I'm not being critical of how this turned out, I've done paint on vehicles before in my own garage and know its all balancing the result with prep and cost. I think a lot more people are going to want to do this as their cruisers age and am interested in how we learn from your process.

View attachment 2256470

All good. In my experience it one of 3 things. 1) roller chunks (myrollers really didn’t degrade) 2) just honest textural irregularities 3) chunks of dried liner from the bottom of the tray

this stuff dries insanely fast. To me this is basically a “$300 paintjob issue” and looks totally fine up close.

Was maybe 75-80 degrees moderate humidity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom