mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 LX450 110k on it, straight up stock. Looking to do some mods this spring. What do you guys think is good to start out with. I'm thinking ARB up front to start with, after that, who knows. It's not locked.

Have you PMed it yet, what do you want it to do, and what is your budget?

When I purchased my LC 4 years ago it had 103k and was completely stock. My goal was to have a reliable rig to get to trail heads back in the mountains. So I caught up on PM, then bought Bridgestone A/T REVOs (stock profile) and replaced the springs and shocks to improve the ride on rough roads. This has mostly met my needs - your mods depends on your goals though.

I think an ARB bumper is a great first mod, although I am waiting until I can afford both the bumper and the OME suspension upgrade at the same time. I don't think the old suspension has enough umph left in it to support the weight of the ARB without significant sag. If you have the LX, then the extra soft factory suspension compounds the problem.

I think if you are going to keep the truck, it is worth it to do the silicon PHH so you don't have to worry about it ever again. I did the silcon PHH and the FHH.

all depends on what you want to do with said rig.

but if you havn't already baseline first.

My first $ would be spend on sliders and tires. The front bumper and winch can wait. I've only used my winch once to pull myself off of a smart car size rock, I've used it a number of times to help others. Stuck tractors, bobcats, etc...

The OEM running boards will give you a little bit of rocker protection. But they eventually will kink and get into the rockers.

PS have you changed all of the fluids?? Flushed the radiator, etc...

id start w/ the FAQ and slees newbie guide to familiarize yourself w/ the vehicle and your options. Agree on the sliders then tires after baselining. Where in NC, there is a group axle build session coming up if you can get your parts in in time and make it to the mtns. A 2.5'' lift and a rear locker down the road and you should be able to go most everywhere you need and most places you want to.

update

Have you PMed it yet, what do you want it to do, and what is your budget?

I have a baseline on ALL the fluids, new air filter(not a K&N). The plugs/cap/wires were all done just before I bought it. I have read a lot a lot about the PHH. Sounds like it sucks, so I might need some help with that. Also, the FSM is ALWAYS out of stock, but I keep calling.

You guys bring up all good points. I guess I need to make sure that all the parts that make it move are good to go and PM'd.

Last edited:
I got my FSM on ebay. Just keep bidding low and you'll get it eventually.

Newb question: What's the difference between the FSM and Chilton's?

Newb question: What's the difference between the FSM and Chilton's?

I don't have a FSM but I've seen one. The largest difference besides about 6" of thickness, and the FSM refers only to the Cruiser.

My "Land Cruiser" Chilton has a info for a number of vehicles besiders Cruisers, including pick up's.

Get the FSM, its worth it. Has all the torque specs for everything and has much more detail than either the haynes or chiltons can give you. If you are going to get a generic manual I would go with the haynes over the chiltons, IMHO haynes is better.

I would do a baseline, then suspension then tires and take off the running boards. Everything after that is gravy! It will look and drive so much better after the above.:beer:

And welcome!:flipoff2:

Get new tires 285/75r16 (33inch) will raise your tuck an inch or so and then the OME lift of your choice, drop the running boards and your cruiser will look and feel like a new vehicle.

FSM

Get the FSM, its worth it. Has all the torque specs for everything and has much more detail than either the haynes or chiltons can give you. If you are going to get a generic manual I would go with the haynes over the chiltons, IMHO haynes is better.

I called, the FSM for the Lexus is $99.00. I am sure it will pay off i the long run. Still on back order.

FSM then baseline. I went with OME stock suspension and ARB w/ winch second. Made it drive like a new rig. Probably go with rear bumper and gears next. The bumper and winch give peace of mind. Although you might rarely need a winch, it is kind of like a gun-when you need it, you need it bad!

New idea

After baselining, tires and sliders would get my vote. I would even do sliders before ARBs.

Wife is back to work after having a baby, so I will have all kinds of money to set my rig up. I like the new tire idea. Do I need to lift it right away if I go with bigger tiers like you guys suggest????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom