Modding/Cutting OEM Front Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replace it.

@MongooseGA has the killer idea - replace the sub-bumper with structural steel and hide that and the winch mount with the O.E. bumper. I did this years ago with a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I loved the look of the O.E. front end, but wanted to mount a Warn 8274 winch. We built the sub-bumper and mount, slotted the O.E. aluminum bumper and slipped it over the winch mount. The winch looked like it just stuck to the front of the Jeep.

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 4.50.28 PM.png

This is the point in the thread when someone who's actually fabricated bumpers for a 100 will chime in tell me why ^that^ won't work. And... I'll have to agree. I built a lot of Jeeps. I have only put parts on the 100. ;)

Last edited:
Replace it.

@MongooseGA has the killer idea - replace the sub-bumper with structural steel and hide that and the winch mount with the O.E. bumper. I did this years ago with a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I loved the look of the O.E. front end, but wanted to mount a Warn 8274 winch. We built the sub-bumper and mount, slotted the O.E. aluminum bumper and slipped it over the winch mount. The winch looked like it just stuck to the front of the Jeep.

Ooh I like that idea as well. I personally like the look of the front bumper and never felt I need an aftermarket bumper if all I needed it for was for approach clearance. Most folks who have them nowadays only use them for the looks anyways so it didn't make sense to me.

It looks fine as is to be honest. Plus you don’t wanna cut off too much (you found the sweet spot), might be a negative affect on the MPG gain if you cut off any extra.
If you do as much as crack a window in a 100 series your MPG is gonna drop. o_O I gave up on that battle years ago.

Replace it.

View attachment 2126129

This is the point in the thread when someone who's actually fabricated bumpers for a 100 will chime in tell me why ^that^ won't work. And... I'll have to agree. I built a lot of Jeeps. I have only put parts on the 100. ;)
I have a soft spot for waggys. Nice!

I know there's been some sarcasm about mileage in this thread, but holy cow, that's it? Are you the guy running 20s? What do they weigh??

I'm on 285/66/18s and believe me the weight of 18d vs 17s or 16s is really overblown. Maybe because I have a led foot? I also drive about 95% streets as opposed to highway. When I drive all hwy miles I get closer to 15 or 16

I agree I have used this tread for inspiration too but my buddy did a little more aggressive trim and it turned out quite well in my opinion as well as a winch mount.. View attachment 2951321View attachment 2951322View attachment 2951324View attachment 2951326View attachment 2951327
I think I like this. Need to let it marinate a bit. Like the added lights and black paint for sure. Kind of a cool cheap mod(especially if you are already thinking about a different number in future anyway) . What size tires is he rolling on?

I think I like this. Need to let it marinate a bit. Like the added lights and black paint for sure. Kind of a cool cheap mod(especially if you are already thinking about a different number in future anyway) . What size tires is he rolling on?
Sorry for the late response but in these pictures I believe he was running a 285/75 with those newer 17s but he has since upgraded to a 35/12.50/17 now..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom