Mod: Extending range of keyless entry (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would love to see someone develop and sell a harness extension.

Not sure if this box could fit behind the radio. What about a vertical mount in the center console? Would that be high enough? It would have less interference than under all the metal in the dash.

Any other thoughts were this box could relocate?

Would love to see someone develop and sell a harness extension.

Not sure if this box could fit behind the radio. What about a vertical mount in the center console? Would that be high enough? It would have less interference than under all the metal in the dash.

Any other thoughts were this box could relocate?
Looks like there’s a perfect spot in the center console right behind the cup holders, below the armrest latches. That’s pretty far from any metal and would probably perform better.

Or inside the driver’s seatback, below the headrest. :)

Looks like there’s a perfect spot in the center console right behind the cup holders, below the armrest latches. That’s pretty far from any metal and would probably perform better.

Or inside the driver’s seatback, below the headrest. :)
Any known companies out there that could make a custom harness extension for me? I would be willing to pick up a used box on EBay to send out to have this done?

I think this mod is too easy to warrant having someone make a harness. For under $25 and about an hour you can do it. I could probably do it in 30 minutes 2nd time around. Also, with the extended range with the antenna next to the radio, I can’t imagine it would increase by moving the box. The OEM antennas are still tiny even if you moved them to another place.

Running all of those wires (if you had a harness) to another place would be more difficult than just doing this mod.

I think this mod is too easy to warrant having someone make a harness. For under $25 and about an hour you can do it. I could probably do it in 30 minutes 2nd time around. Also, with the extended range with the antenna next to the radio, I can’t imagine it would increase by moving the box. The OEM antennas are still tiny even if you moved them to another place.

Running all of those wires (if you had a harness) to another place would be more difficult than just doing this mod.
Guess I am just a bit nervous to modify my OEM box. How much better is your reception with this mod? Right now I have be within 5-10 feet for it to work.

Guess I am just a bit nervous to modify my OEM box. How much better is your reception with this mod? Right now I have be within 5-10 feet for it to work.
My range was the same, pitiful. Now it works from up to 50 yards line-of-sight, no kidding. Even with the keyfob in my pocket it works far enough that it may auto-lock if I don't walk fast enough (30-seconds).

As long as you steer clear of the other components and don't splatter solder on the circuit board it's pretty low-risk. You could also re-install the OEM antennas back to stock if you like, i.e. you're not permanently changing anything. There's also lots of room for the soldering iron since you're working near the edge of the circuit board.

@sleepycruiser what sort of range are you seeing now?

Last edited:
I don’t think I am getting 50 yards, but definitely 50 feet, whereas before I was getting 5 feet...10 feet maybe . I want to test it at night in a parking lot, but haven’t had a chance.

Is there room to mount an SMA connector to the board? It would make for a cleaner install, I think.
soldering-sma-connectors-t-pcb

Is there room to mount an SMA connector to the board? It would make for a cleaner install, I think.
soldering-sma-connectors-t-pcb
Mounting a rigid SMA jack directly to the board would depend on the jack’s design, there are a ton of different configurations. A better option would be to install a jack through a hole in the plastic cover with a short coax pigtail to the board. That would also eliminate strain on solder joints.

15FF8A25-5729-4766-89C6-79DB4179829C.jpeg

Something similar to the above is: 0897611670 Molex, LLC | Cable Assemblies | DigiKey

Last edited:
Reactions: BEG
I will, thank you again for finding the solution and documenting it for us.

Mounting a rigid SMA jack directly to the board would depend on the jack’s design, there are a ton of different configurations. A better option would be to install a jack through a hole in the plastic cover with a short coax pigtail to the board. That would also eliminate strain on solder joints.

View attachment 1874559

Something similar to the above is: 0897611670 Molex, LLC | Cable Assemblies | DigiKey
This looks like a great solution, actually. The thinner coax would be easier to work with in the box and the bulkhead connector would be an easy install. Any reason why you couldn't use the more flexible RG178 all the way to the antenna? Seems like it'd be much easier to run.

This looks like a great solution, actually. The thinner coax would be easier to work with in the box and the bulkhead connector would be an easy install. Any reason why you couldn't use the more flexible RG178 all the way to the antenna? Seems like it'd be much easier to run.
You could use any type of 50-ohm coax cable. The pigtail cable above uses smaller coax because it's meant to install in an enclosure (like ours) and a tighter bend radius helps to wind around internal components for easier assembly. For outside the box the smaller coax may be too fragile and more expensive in longer lengths. The black jacket of the larger coax cables are mostly for durability.

Reactions: BEG
All done! I was a little worried when I finished because it seemed the same. I don’t think I soldered the ground as well as I could have. I also ran the coax just above the steering column. I tried it before I walked the dog and it seemed like I had to be right next to the truck. I tried it when I got back and it worked from across the street while the truck was in the garage. I’ll try it later to see how far I get.

All done! I was a little worried when I finished because it seemed the same. I don’t think I soldered the ground as well as I could have. I also ran the coax just above the steering column. I tried it before I walked the dog and it seemed like I had to be right next to the truck. I tried it when I got back and it worked from across the street while the truck was in the garage. I’ll try it later to see how far I get.
As long as the coax shield is connected at all to the circuit board ground it should be good. There is no power that flows through the solder joint, its just for RF.

How you route the coax doesn't matter, it's entirely where & how you position the new antenna. As I said before, the antenna must be positioned vertical for the range to be improved. Horizontal will actually be worse than before... I had mine like that for a few days and I had to be literally next to the truck for it to work.

If your antenna is vertical and not adjacent to any metal bits, but your reception is still poor, I would re-inspect the coax connections on the circuit board to make sure they're well connected. The key to a good solder joint is making sure BOTH sides of the joint are hot enough for the solder to flow.

I will try re-soldering. I just took it out to an open space and tried it. Same as before. I mounted the antenna exactly where you suggested. I have the same circuit board as @sleepycruiser
I considered soldering a piece of wire and then running that to the ground screw holding the circuit board to the mounting plate.

I will try re-soldering. I just took it out to an open space and tried it. Same as before. I mounted the antenna exactly where you suggested. I have the same circuit board as @sleepycruiser
I considered soldering a piece of wire and then running that to the ground screw holding the circuit board to the mounting plate.

Ok, also be sure that no part of the coax’s shield (ground) is touching the center conductor (ANT connection). The coax’s shield wires are fine and it can be difficult to gather them all up.

Best way to solder to the board is to add some solder to the board’s exposed copper and the coax shield separately, then join them together as a final step.

If you do the leg work of finding the connector pair available through a vendor somewhere (digikey, mouser, Toyota maybe, Tyco, etc...) I'll develop it and give you the first one for free. I probably have all the needed pins, proper colored wire and crimpers in my garage right now. Chasing down the connector housing pair is likely the tough part. If you find it, PM me and we'll make it happen. I'm just short on time to play detective.

If you do the leg work of finding the connector pair available through a vendor somewhere (digikey, mouser, Toyota maybe, Tyco, etc...) I'll develop it and give you the first one for free. I probably have all the needed pins, proper colored wire and crimpers in my garage right now. Chasing down the connector housing pair is likely the tough part. If you find it, PM me and we'll make it happen. I'm just short on time to play detective.

Let me see what I can find. Will let you know.

Think a great spot to relocate box would be right behind the front cup holder inside the console. I know it would at least be better than where it is now. I would gladly take 15-20 feet versus 5 feet reception any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom