Military Trailer Titles in NC?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you for this post. I just picked up a1967 M416 military trailer with no tags or title. I've got to fix some items before it can be road worthy but I have the bill of sale.
The one for $50 on marketplace? I was tempted to grab it but no time.

The one for $50 on marketplace? I was tempted to grab it but no time.
No, mine was a LOT more expensive but in much better condition than that. I did reach out to the seller but he said it was sold. I wanted the lunette off the end.

Still waiting on the title of course. I did receive a letter from NC saying that since the bill of sale wasn’t notarized that the title would take 4 months from the date that I registered so they could check for liens, etc. That is basically what the lady at the tag office mentioned so the process so far has been to the expectations they set. Will update when I receive title.

Is a trailer even a “vehicle “ to have a vin# ?

Is a trailer even a “vehicle “ to have a vin# ?
If it can haul property (i.e. anything) then yes. If it's something like a pig cooker, then no, doesn't need reg or a plate. This is why the club pig cooker doesn't need a reg or a plate.

The license and theft inspector just left my house after looking at my trailer.
My data plate had been removed from the trailer so the VIN on the plate can no longer be used.

The inspector completed my application for the VIN. I've got to take the paperwork to the license plate agency and request value for the endemity bond and have a VIN assigned. I've got to complete the rest of the paperwork provided once I have the new VIN and stamp the VIN on the axle and tongue. The inspector then has to come back out and inspect the stamping and collect the paperwork.

While he was here he didn't look at the lights I retrofitted, the new reflectors I installed, or ask about the longer tongue I am building. Maybe that comes with the second inspection.

The trailer is safe and I will be riding dirty when I bring it to CRR.

My data plate had been removed from the trailer so the VIN on the plate can no longer be used.

The inspector completed my application for the VIN. I've got to take the paperwork to the license plate agency and request value for the endemity bond and have a VIN assigned. I've got to complete the rest of the paperwork provided once I have the new VIN and stamp the VIN on the axle and tongue. The inspector then has to come back out and inspect the stamping and collect the paperwork.

While he was here he didn't look at the lights I retrofitted, the new reflectors I installed, or ask about the longer tongue I am building. Maybe that comes with the second inspection.

Strap a gas grill on it and call it a pig cooker.

Last edited:
What if I just strap a pig on it?

Bonus points awarded if you shanghai the cop that pulls you over to use as the "pig."

The DMV told me that if they require you to stamp it that you can’t use a plate…like have someone make a decent looking plate. It either has to be stamped using those little metal stamps or scratched/etched in with a dremel. Only in NC!!

The DMV told me that if they require you to stamp it that you can’t use a plate…like have someone make a decent looking plate. It either has to be stamped using those little metal stamps or scratched/etched in with a dremel. Only in NC!!
Yeah, I was told to use a Dremel on the axle to "write" the VIN.

Yeah, I was told to use a Dremel on the axle to "write" the VIN.
I have the stamp set I used to put a VIN on a trailer a long time ago if you'd prefer stamping.

i got a stamp set as well

I know of at least 4 stamp sets then :)

It now has functioning brakes lights, turn signals, and running lights. I gutted the military lights and installed offroad LED pods for brakes and turn signals and mini lightbars for the running lights. The seller sent me the original reflectors in the mail but I purchased new ones of the same style and manufacturer.

The tongue has been extended thanks to @fourtrax letting me borrow his welder. The lunette was split and an 18" piece 2x2 .250 square tube was installed between the two ends.

After CRR, I will be getting it sand blasted in preparation for priming and painting.

1713272065599.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom