Military Trailer Titles in NC?? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
I’ve been reading this all over the internet. Looking to buy a military trailer and as you probably know…most do not have titles. If I buy one from SC then they don’t require titles. I have seen on Steel Soldier that several people will register their trailers in Maine. However, they do not title the trailers if they are under 3,000 pounds…so I would have a trailer registered in Maine, but still no title. Does anyone have any experience getting a title in NC on one of these? It would not come with the SP-97 form or whatever it is called. I did call the DMV and the lady was very friendly, but could not give me an exact answer. She said they can give titles with just a bill of sale, but she couldn’t guarantee me that would work…..um….ok. So sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t…sounds about like our government.

Any ideas?

You just have to take to dmv to be inspected

I have done it 3 times ,with no issues.

I went to dmv and paid for a form the made an appointment to have it inspected

I went to dmv and paid for a form the made an appointment to have it inspected
Thanks. I think that is the process I am going to hopefully use. The ‘homemade’ trailer.

Go to a dmv that has an inspector. He will walk out and do it right there.
They confirm the vin or serial number or whatever on the vehicle.

But I do think that ever since Covid they have been doing it differently.
Might need an appointment. I know at one point they also just coming to you. But again. I don’t know what the current procedure is for the inspector to verify the number.

What kind of trailer are you looking for?

Pics or it....
True.

It has Lexus/Toyota 6 lug hubs on it. I need some adapters to get it to 5 lug to match the wheels on my LC200. And I need 2 LC wheels.

IMG_3283.jpeg

IMG_3284.jpeg

IMG_3285.jpeg

IMG_3286.jpeg

Fwiw, the Maine registration process is super easy. I’m not sure on the yearly registration costs are in nc for a trailer, but in Maine it’s $99 for a 5 year tag.

Fwiw, the Maine registration process is super easy. I’m not sure on the yearly registration costs are in nc for a trailer, but in Maine it’s $99 for a 5 year tag.
I called them yesterday. They will register it….$99 for 5 years, but they won’t title it since it is under 3,000lbs.

Update: DMV seemed ok with just the bill of sale but they didn’t know which number was the VIN on the plate so I have to get someone to come check out the plate to either tell me what the VIN is or they will assign a new VIN. More to come….

I took the trailer to the inspector today. They were really nice. He started to say that I’d need to get an indemnity bond (not what I was hoping) and I let him know the tag office was cool with JUST the bill of sale I had. The inspector wasn’t sure what the VIN was either and I told him it was the serial number. He had someone else come out and look at it and they were more interested in how to get one! He typed up the paper and I took it to the DMV. She didn’t bat an eye and gave me the tag and said the title will take 3-4 months since the bill of sale wasn’t notarized. Hopefully there isn’t an issue down the road…but I have the lifetime tag!

Lifetime tag? Hmm how much did that run you? I may need to get that for mine.
It was $105 for the ‘multi-year’ tag. But it is lifetime. It says it on the tag. She said it would pay for itself in 4 years. No sticker needed and I think it takes the place of the $25 yearly registration fee, as I understand it.

I took the trailer to the inspector today. They were really nice. He started to say that I’d need to get an indemnity bond (not what I was hoping) and I let him know the tag office was cool with JUST the bill of sale I had. The inspector wasn’t sure what the VIN was either and I told him it was the serial number. He had someone else come out and look at it and they were more interested in how to get one! He typed up the paper and I took it to the DMV. She didn’t bat an eye and gave me the tag and said the title will take 3-4 months since the bill of sale wasn’t notarized. Hopefully there isn’t an issue down the road…but I have the lifetime tag!
Thank you for this post. I just picked up a1967 M416 military trailer with no tags or title. I've got to fix some items before it can be road worthy but I have the bill of sale.

Thank you for this post. I just picked up a1967 M416 military trailer with no tags or title. I've got to fix some items before it can be road worthy but I have the bill of sale.
Hopefully this works for you bc out of all of the potential outcomes this was the one I was hoping for. I’ve heard nightmares about getting indemnity bonds, etc. The inspector I got was very nice. Good luck and keep us posted and hopefully you have the same experience. You could also tell them ‘My buddy just had his registered and titled’. The serial was the VIN (not a standard 17 digit vin) and the mode they put into their system was ‘Cargo Trailer’. Also, if you plan on keeping it longer than 4 years go ahead and get the multi-year/lifetime tag….it is the same thing, but some of the DMV call it one or the other. I’ll circle back when I get the title for awareness on how long it took. Had my bill of sale been notarized it would have only taken a few weeks she said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom