Mileage on Junkyard LC? No key... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirt J

SILVER Star
Threads
Any ideas on how to pull the mileage?

Found a 2000 MY locally. Thinking about pulling the TC to rebuild to use as my core/donor for part-time spool (and maybe underdrive and 3.1 low). Would like to know how many miles are on it. No battery but can use a donor/jump box. Is there way to get to Key On without key? Or other ideas?

Get the VIN# and run a carfax on it. Only way i know of. Junkyard landcruisers are very, very rare ... at least in my neck of the woods. In maybe 10 years of looking, i think i've seen 2

Yeah, I'm wondering what all I should pull from it...

Everything you can carry home. I've seen a few more than @excessive, but not many.

If you're going to take the transfer case, get the entire transmission too. Most of the larger internal components are NLA. The A/T cooler hardlines are money.

Please elaborate on the hardlines...I've about convinced myself to pull the trans and TC as a unit tomorrow.

Thinking about the rear axle too...

Pull everything you can. Small bits and pieces can be bought for pennies on the dollar and resold for a decent profit. That's what I do, sell the parts I don't need/want and it pays for the parts I do.

Please elaborate on the hardlines...I've about convinced myself to pull the trans and TC as a unit tomorrow.

Thinking about the rear axle too...
Cooler lines from the passenger side of teh gearbox case to the oil cooler. They are NLA and if you break one, you're SOL.

BTW, the 2000 FSM & EWD are in the Resources section. The mileage is stored in the ECM. You do not need a key to energize it. You only need a key to bypass the immobilizer and start the engine.

How would I pull the mileage from the ECM? Also, do you know the ECM location offhand...

It's behind the glovebox; details in the FSM.

As to pulling data out of the ECM, no idea offhand. Would be a good general use trick to know, though.

Let me know when you figure it out ;)

Has this been rolled? Else the only reason why it went to the crusher is probably a faulty trans. Drop the pan and inspect for metal pieces if you are going to pull the trans. Whats the color of the interior? and exterior?

Has not been rolled. Got the TC today. If there are shavings/chunks in trans pan, would it be worth it to pull to have as core for a rebuild? Planning on to go back Saturday for some more bits and pieces.

Black exterior, tan interior (nasty).

FYI: A rebuild on a 2000 due to faulty needle roller in OD could cost about 3000 since it is out of the vehicle. If the failure is bad clutches, usually never heard on any LC, then the rebuild will be about 1800 or less. Yeah, check the pan. I once saw a 2000 rolled in LA Shreveport, I pulled transfer, blend door actuators, blower motor resistor, instrument cluster, rear both half axles. Pull the AC compressor, alternator, fuse box.

The mileage info is stored on an eeprom in the cluster. It can be easily read, but is coded in Hex.

The mileage info is stored on an eeprom in the cluster. It can be easily read, but is coded in Hex.
Ok, thanks. I suppose I could just plug that cluster into my LC to see the mileage unless there's a shortcut?

Ok, thanks. I suppose I could just plug that cluster into my LC to see the mileage unless there's a shortcut?
That would probably be the easiest way.

Why didn't I just say , "ask @Mauser"? I knew he knows more about the 100 electrical system than I do...

That blend door actuator looks like a pain to get to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom