1999 Land Cruiser Key Reprogramming (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first post...the unlock button on my existing 100 series (original key from 99) key is toast (doesn't rebound when pressed) so it's useless as far as unlocking the car remotely (half the benefit of the remote FOB). To remedy this for the cheapest amount of money I bought a $30 key off amazon in the hope I could just swap the new keys' module/transmitter into my old keys' housing (key/housing are fine). I did this and then successfully programmed the "new" key (old key, new transmitter module in old key) to lock and unlock. I thought I was in the clear.... until I went to start the car and it just cranks. I don't know what security mechanism this is but it doesn't something about the key. Any ideas how to get the car to start using the new module in the old key or something in the security of the car just not going to accept this? Thanks!

Did you retain the original 4C transmitter chip? This is what is coded to the immobilizer chip in the ecm. Without it the security light will just blink and the engine crank/no start.

Did you retain the original 4C transmitter chip? This is what is coded to the immobilizer chip in the ecm. Without it the security light will just blink and the engine crank/no start.
I don't know what that is, ha, so probably not. I literally just took the old key and swapped out the internal guts from this new key I ordered off amazon.

The programming is not that difficult either. You simply took the modue inside the old key housing and placed it in the new key housing? isn't the old module contain the loose buttons and moved into the new housing?

Ok , I successfully programmed the new key , I didn't know until googling more that you had to program not only lock/unlock functions but also ignition (step by step below for ref). The issue I'm having now is the distance the new key works is very short like I have to be within 10ft of the car. Have any of you noticed perhaps cheaper/quality keys maybe don't have the same signal power or something? It's kind of annoying, for my setup I'd pay a little more to have a little more distance (unlock/lock from inside my house to garage is 40ft before heading outside for example). The original key will lock from maybe 50ft away where as this new key.

For reference so someone hopefully doesn't spend as much time as I did searching for the 2nd step. In my case, I bought a $25, not genuine toyota yet 1998-2002 Toyota specific key PN 89070-60090 off amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2DYZQ3?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1). When programming a new key there are 2 steps, this worked first time through for me.
1. Program the unlock/lock function, nice 3 min video on youtube explains it, super easy...
2. Then program the ignition function of the key once inserted into key cylinder (otherwise car won't start with new key) https://tlcfaq.com/main/2013/02/key-programming/

I have a chinesium fob. It didn't work after few months of use. Replaced a new battery, no go. went with another new battery and same (voltage is 3.2 V on both). Then installed a used battery (3 .1 V) and it started working. Not sure how this magic happened and I am staying with the used battery now. The distance is about 30-40 feet for me.

@BenM -- Your issue can easily be resolved by swapping transponder chips, please reference my post here...

You need to take your two remote modules (old and new) and swap the transponder chips between them. Just use a small flathead screwdriver. Then you're good.

Ok , I successfully programmed the new key , I didn't know until googling more that you had to program not only lock/unlock functions but also ignition (step by step below for ref). The issue I'm having now is the distance the new key works is very short like I have to be within 10ft of the car. Have any of you noticed perhaps cheaper/quality keys maybe don't have the same signal power or something? It's kind of annoying, for my setup I'd pay a little more to have a little more distance (unlock/lock from inside my house to garage is 40ft before heading outside for example). The original key will lock from maybe 50ft away where as this new key.

For reference so someone hopefully doesn't spend as much time as I did searching for the 2nd step. In my case, I bought a $25, not genuine toyota yet 1998-2002 Toyota specific key PN 89070-60090 off amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2DYZQ3?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1). When programming a new key there are 2 steps, this worked first time through for me.
1. Program the unlock/lock function, nice 3 min video on youtube explains it, super easy...
2. Then program the ignition function of the key once inserted into key cylinder (otherwise car won't start with new key) Transponder Key Programming - https://tlcfaq.com/main/2013/02/key-programming/

I always advise customers to buy a genuine remote from Toyota - Yes, it's not cheap and yes, you're getting what you pay for. The aftermarket cheapies are all very hit or miss. I've seen some last a few years and others fail in a month. It's enough hassle to swap out keys and reprogram that unless you're bored and looking for ways to fill your time, you should just buy the real thing from Toyota/Lexus. The real deal has a solid range and lasts for 15+ years.

Disposable goods (especially third party knock-offs) are no good for anyone in the long run.

Programming:

There are two "systems" in the remote and both must be programmed independently.

1. Remote Entry (lock/unlock)
2. Immobilizer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom