Midwest Performance Parts - reproduction parts for 4* series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steve is usually far too busy to tackle stuff like this and still be able to make enough coin to eat - the guy works way too cheap and I can't do that to him . I will be producing the parts myself , considering farming out the handles since I'm well past the limit on my bender , and at my age not willing to buy a hydraulic unit . His dad , Lyle , was a legend around here , guy could fix/weld anything on earth .

If you know the family well and the area/neighborhood - I live in the old Catholic school east of his shop in the next block .

Sarge

Yes, I got it. I have not seen it in years. Good to hear that it is in livable condition. It had years on it then, so it must be receiving care and maintenance.

Lyle was know for doing some amazing things, especially custom projects that he found interesting and tackled them in his home shop (garage).

Melvin Grossman also did some amazing projects too in the 70's. As a kid, it was always very interesting to get to watch either of them work. The opportunities were always only limited to the project at hand ... dad broke something so we had to take the broken bits to Lyle or Melvin to magically bring back together or replicate on the fly. As soon as the repair was complete, then it was rush back to re-assemble and get back to our work.

Steve demonstrates how much can be learned working with and mentored by craftsmen like Lyle or Melvin. I hope you can make time to watch and learn from Steve.

I grew up around a whole group of guys like Steve , mostly in Princeton at the old shops in the '70's - hard lessons learned from those old guys - but you don't forget easily , either . Steve has always been a great resource for metal stock and the occasional input on engineering/welding something I'm building . I go well out of my way to lend a hand in any way I can for Steve , been able to provide some good savings on supplies and we share a lot of info on new products available to the welding world . BTW - he still works around 10-12hrs a day/sometimes 7 days a week keeping the locals moving .

Wife probably knows you - she was one of the Cassidy girls here in town . When I mentioned your name , she knew it right away - thinks you guys lived on the northwest corner of Rt. 92 7 Rt. 26 , the house is now owned by her youngest brother - Randy .
The old school building we live in (been here 28yrs) is starting to get to a sad state of repair . It hasn't had a lot of upkeep over the years and it's starting to show it's age pretty badly - 113yrs this fall . The old Opera House , on the corner next to Steve's shop is long gone - torn down over 10yrs ago I think . It's still a nice , relatively quiet old town - kids still run amok and everyone looks out for them. School is still going strong , had a recent upgrade on it's windows and the town supports it whole-heatedly . We are down to 1 bar , from having 3 years ago - times have indeed changed a little . Other than Spratt's gas/convenient store , no other real businesses here left , Brandau's retired years ago and the grocery store closed .

Sarge

Hey Sarge,
Just read this thread and I will also tell you: Health first! I'm one to talk though. I get so wound up in my day job and in helping MUD members that I forget that I have a life. Sometimes you just have to take a break from it. Like I'm doing today. No wiring work, just answering emails, cleaning the shop and surfing MUD.:D

Not spending most of the winter in the shop has not only hurt progress on getting these parts figured out , but holding up a lot of other projects as well . Gonna be a really busy spring , but hoping work season kicks off early too ...

I know a lot of folks here have pickups as well as their Cruisers , many here own Tacoma's and Tundras too . I've been considering building some Swing Case style tool boxes - but instead of the junk plastic I'm looking into doing them in steel or aluminum . I need a decent place outside of the interior of my Dodge for hitch/straps and such - and hate plastic's weaknesses . Once I get a general pattern done , probably farm out this one to a local fab shop if there is any interest ....
Sarge

Hey Sarge. Stumbled on your EBay listing this morning and just ordered the Bumper Guide. Wish I had found the thread earlier. I have all the parts you guys were talking about last year. My rig came over with most everything original and in great shape. I'll be posting more pics soon on a build thread.

In any event, glad you're on the mend and thanks for a great unique part.

Ken

Working on it , very slowly . Trying to source a job shop to make the handles - my bender it past it's limit with that steel and I'm too old to buy into a new bender setup . Summer is my busy work time at the "regular job" , although not really enough highway work going on this year to keep us going . I need to get busy and fab another big batch of bumper guides soon , I'm out of stock right now .

Sarge

Working on it , very slowly . Trying to source a job shop to make the handles - my bender it past it's limit with that steel and I'm too old to buy into a new bender setup . Summer is my busy work time at the "regular job" , although not really enough highway work going on this year to keep us going . I need to get busy and fab another big batch of bumper guides soon , I'm out of stock right now .

Sarge
Thanks for the update Sarge!

I just happened upon this thread. Is this project/product still going on?

I would be in for 10 as I just made the handles and need the bumper brackets

Here I am late to the party as usual. Any crank handle guides available?

None in stock - I haven't been in the shop for a long time other than short repairs on my vintage garden tractor parts. I'm considering selling off the pattern for the bumper guide to someone that can either fabricate them or find a vendor that will do these parts. Just not up to spending the time in the shop anymore knocking this stuff out and I'm headed for semi-retirement next spring if I can pull it off. Time to go do something else that doesn't destroy me, 20yrs of abuse is plenty enough. I just finished a job with an explosives demolition company taking down an old Pennsylvania truss bridge nearby - we had to do the pre-cut work with demolition torches on the structure to allow the blasting charges to cut and drop it on the ground. First two spans are on the ground and the rest goes down next week. My part is done - enjoyed it but climbing all that iron at 120' off the river took it's toll - again.

Here's what I want to do -

I'll sell the pattern/info for making the bumper guides, cheap. It's actually pretty simple to do and only requires a few specialized tools - square (4-corner) file, Blair annular cutter, and a press bender ( I built my own). Believe it or not, the center hole is drilled first, then the slots are rough cut with a jig saw and bi-metal scroll blades, then filed to match the scribe marks from the pattern with the square file and finally bent to the proper 90* with the bender. Glass bead them for prep to paint, done. It's not about the money - I want someone that will dedicate the time to making these parts or source someone that can them. At the price point I set these at it paid for the metal stock, blades and time - but only a few bucks profit at best. Making these parts by hand takes a fair amount of time - nearly an hour each, so it's not a get-rich money maker but more of a passion project. A person could have them laser cut and press bent pretty reasonably if done in decent sized batches, but that will cost a lot more up front - it's an option to remove all the hand work.

So, the requirement is dedication - don't want to see this sit by sidelines and not get tackled so it takes the right person. If interested, shoot me a pm and we'll go from there.

Sarge

For the last few months or even the last year I've gotten quite a few PM's about the availability of this part. I did finally have time to repair the press brake after damaging the bending ram die with a piece of unmarked hardened steel :mad:. So, I decided to spend the time to make a small batch with the rest of the stock I have on hand and had to source another piece to finish what I need - iron has really gone up a lot lately.

So, I'll have 6 ready this morning and another 6 done by the weekend - 12 total in this batch. Due to the increase in the cost of steel (US made) and having to put more money into cutters I've had to increase the price. Hate to pass on the cost, but the material and shipping cost has gone up so much (almost 50%) I have no choice unless I just quit making parts. To add insult to injury the Postal Service and UPS has increased their shipping costs quite a lot - as well as PayPal fees have increased along with eBay's seller fees. It just doesn't end and these brackets aren't the only thing I produce here - so the price increases have to go up along all of the products made here.

The new price is $39.50 each shipped via USPS Priority Mail Flate Rate box in the USA. For overseas orders/requests or to combine shipping for more than one bracket - shoot me a pm here so we can work out a fair deal. I would prefer selling them via PM on Mud versus eBay any day - I'm sick of dealing with their profit margin demands and constantly making changes in policy to hurt sellers as well as buyers.

Again - I apologize for the price increase but the costs to produce and ship parts has risen so far I cannot absorb it. Even with the price increase I will lose almost half of any profit made - which wasn't much to start with and that was never the intention anyway. I've developed these type of restoration parts for the passion of the hobby - not for money.

Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom