Michelin Defender LTX 285/60 R18 on 2021 HE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm (ahem) a bit of a lead foot - this return to the LC is causing me to re-learn appropriate following distances, braking points, appropriate on- and off-ramp speeds, necessary sizes of "holes" in highway traffic, etc. Everything with the LC is definitely more "gradual" than I'm used to driving. And the flying brick aero and relatively poor MPG/smallish tank/pessimistic fuel gauge combination is definitely keeping me below 75-80 mph more often than I would otherwise prefer.

Based on the comments above on Defender vs. Latitude, I think more highway / highway speed oriented is probably most important for me for my "summer" tires, so maybe I'll stay with the Latitudes for this set, as I'm already half way into them (1 on the truck, the other one just arrived). I appreciate the wet weather characteristics, safety and performance, but after running genuine winters (Bridgestone LM001) on a second set of wheels on my last M3, I'm hooked on running actual winter tires for Nov-Feb/Mar for the expected weather patterns up here, rather than all seasons....plus it gives me an excuse to get a set of the TRD BBS wheels to go with the stock ones.

Also running these tires and they are fantastic, in my case have put about 15K on them so far. They "look right" on the car which is important, plus they are great in the snow and great on the highway which is what the car is on most of the time. Previously had the Revo2 275s on there and it looked ridiculous with that narrow tire, that tire was also awful in the snow and noisy. The Michelins have a nice wide look (both by being the stock 285 size as well as just how they look) which suits the car and the handling is tighter, ride is better in general.

So I asked Michelin technical about difference between regular P-metric and P-metric XL. This is their response:

“The only difference between the P Metric XL and the regular P Metric tire is that XL means the tire had reinforced or stronger sidewall but the compound and inflation pressure are the same. “

Hmmm almost seem like an ideal tire…. :)

Last edited:
Had E rated KO2s and loved looking at them. Have Defender LTX MS and love riding on them. Only experienced the LTX in summer, but based on comments here, should handle well in rain and light snow. Eventually I will try something else, but for now enjoying the soft quiet and light ride + braking and acceleration performance.

Had E rated KO2s and loved looking at them. Have Defender LTX MS and love riding on them. Only experienced the LTX in summer, but based on comments here, should handle well in rain and light snow. Eventually I will try something else, but for now enjoying the soft quiet and light ride + braking and acceleration performance.

What size did you get?

Anyone run highway speeds on snow/ice with the defenders? My biggest threats running around Lake Michigan weekly is winter storms coming off the lake. And deer.

Lots of highway driving, mostly dry pavement, but the occasional pretty dangerous snow and ice. But it can be still dry at home and o'hare, so I have to keep going when it gets dangerous.

Various tires have served me well on previous LC, always looking for something a little better.

09BFF223-8E92-4811-9D1F-A9BF6B0280C7.jpeg

Spent the afternoon cleaning her up.

Does anyone by chance know if there's a difference in compound when you step up to the E load 285/65-18 version of these tires?

Anyone run highway speeds on snow/ice with the defenders? My biggest threats running around Lake Michigan weekly is winter storms coming off the lake. And deer.

Lots of highway driving, mostly dry pavement, but the occasional pretty dangerous snow and ice. But it can be still dry at home and o'hare, so I have to keep going when it gets dangerous.

Various tires have served me well on previous LC, always looking for something a little better.
I run Defender LTX in 275/65-18 in the weather conditions you describe but definitely not at highway speeds. I slow down, figuring late is better than not at all. If I had to run highway speeds and had to keep going when it gets dangerous, I would invest in a second set of wheels and mount the Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV in stock size. I use the Michelin X-Ice on other vehicles (Honda, Audi, and Subaru) and they are outstanding in the snow/ice. With those, I no longer fear the lake effect.

Does anyone by chance know if there's a difference in compound when you step up to the E load 285/65-18 version of these tires?

Yes. See source: https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/09/michelin-defender-ltx-m-s-tire-review.html

“Part of it is the silica we use in the E-Metric tires,” said Tony Marconi, product development manager at Michelin. This allows them to include a denser elastomer for better resistance to chipping and degradation, particularly while driving on gravel surfaces or rough terrain.

Further beefing up the LT range, Marconi said they feature resin instead of oil, which is usually used for the plasticizer. “It gives us a stronger, more durable compound,” he said, tires that are tougher “on a molecular level.””

I run Defender LTX in 275/65-18 in the weather conditions you describe but definitely not at highway speeds. I slow down, figuring late is better than not at all. If I had to run highway speeds and had to keep going when it gets dangerous, I would invest in a second set of wheels and mount the Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV in stock size. I use the Michelin X-Ice on other vehicles (Honda, Audi, and Subaru) and they are outstanding in the snow/ice. With those, I no longer fear the lake effect.
Slowing down is always better, but having the best tires for the conditions makes me safer. I've run dedicated winter tires, but they wear quick as most of my winter driving is dry highways. I have had to cross the median or cut across mud/snow to get away from a big accident, that is one of the reasons I'm driving a Land Cruiser. Seems a shame to drive on tires that can't do that. I keep looking for a tire that has aggressive enough tread to handle some mud, snow, and rocks, but does well in slippery snow and ice.

I've run Nokian all-weather tires, looking at their Rotiiva 275/65-18, it is a "snowflake" winter tire. Previous Nokian all-weather tires wore a bit faster, but did a good job otherwise. No details on their website about weight and construction, would like more info.

Slowing down is always better, but having the best tires for the conditions makes me safer. I've run dedicated winter tires, but they wear quick as most of my winter driving is dry highways. I have had to cross the median or cut across mud/snow to get away from a big accident, that is one of the reasons I'm driving a Land Cruiser. Seems a shame to drive on tires that can't do that. I keep looking for a tire that has aggressive enough tread to handle some mud, snow, and rocks, but does well in slippery snow and ice.

I've run Nokian all-weather tires, looking at their Rotiiva 275/65-18, it is a "snowflake" winter tire. Previous Nokian all-weather tires wore a bit faster, but did a good job otherwise. No details on their website about weight and construction, would like more info.
Have Followed thread and thank all.
Have driven the Defender on our 97 80 for 16 years and about two worn out sets . Currently on third set. Have defender on all other 4x4 T100 and tried Latitude for a while on HIGLANER AWD. Switched to defender which was much better in the snow, SNOWSTORM, PACKED WITH GEAR.

Defender is tire for probably most everything. Rough 4 Wheeling NO
Snow, Ice, Rain, Highway, Noise, Steering, Longevity, SAFTEY , YES

Personally upgraded to a 10 ply sidewall which extend life span to 100, 000 Miles. Second set
Stiffer ride ride but handles better alone and better with weight.
YKOT

Has anyone had the opportunity to try the defender in the xl load 285/60-18 and also the 285/65-18 in e load? I'm now set on getting these tires but am really conflicted on which size/load rating to go for. I really want to fill out the wheel well but I also don't want ride quality to take a big hit. Maybe the difference is negligible. I don't know. Can someone make a decision for me?

Has anyone had the opportunity to try the defender in the xl load 285/60-18 and also the 285/65-18 in e load? I'm now set on getting these tires but am really conflicted on which size/load rating to go for. I really want to fill out the wheel well but I also don't want ride quality to take a big hit. Maybe the difference is negligible. I don't know. Can someone make a decision for me?
Get the 285/65/18 and you’ll be happy. That’s what I have and plan on buying another set once these wear out, but that won’t be for many years.

You will have to make the decision for yourself, but maybe some information will help you.

If we are still talking about the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires, and you are going to be using these on your 2021 LC200 HE, then here are the RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure) numbers for the two sizes you asked about:

The RCTIP for the ISO-Metric 285/60R18XL 120H tires on your LC200 is 33psi F/R.

The RCTIP for the LT-Metric LT285/65R18 125/122R Load Range E tires on your LC200 is 42psi F/R.

The increased tire pressure of the LT-Metric tire, along with the 10-Ply rating of the Load Range E tire's stiffer sidewall, is going to make the ride quite noticeably stiffer/harsher than your stock tires.

The ISO-Metric tires, which enjoy the same RCTIP as your stock tires, should exhibit ride qualities virtually indistinguishable from your stock tires.

Also, please bear in mind that the laws of physics still apply to your LC200. Any tire larger in diameter, or heavier, than stock will, to a greater or lesser degree, result in slower acceleration, longer braking distance, reduced maneuverability in extreme circumstances and poorer gas mileage.

The offsetting positives of larger tires like appearance, increased ground clearance, etc. all come at the cost exacted by the laws of physics.

Let us know what you decide.

HTH

You will have to make the decision for yourself, but maybe some information will help you.

If we are still talking about the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires, and you are going to be using these on your 2021 LC200 HE, then here are the RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure) numbers for the two sizes you asked about:

The RCTIP for the ISO-Metric 285/60R18XL 120H tires on your LC200 is 33psi F/R.

The RCTIP for the LT-Metric LT285/65R18 125/122R Load Range E tires on your LC200 is 42psi F/R.

The increased tire pressure of the LT-Metric tire, along with the 10-Ply rating of the Load Range E tire's stiffer sidewall, is going to make the ride quite noticeably stiffer/harsher than your stock tires.

The ISO-Metric tires, which enjoy the same RCTIP as your stock tires, should exhibit ride qualities virtually indistinguishable from your stock tires.

Also, please bear in mind that the laws of physics still apply to your LC200. Any tire larger in diameter, or heavier, than stock will, to a greater or lesser degree, result in slower acceleration, longer braking distance, reduced maneuverability in extreme circumstances and poorer gas mileage.

The offsetting positives of larger tires like appearance, increased ground clearance, etc. all come at the cost exacted by the laws of physics.

Let us know what you decide.

HTH
Well said gaijin. I went through the same dilemma for weeks thinking about sizing up my tires. Ultimately I decided to stay with the stock size Defenders as the trade offs of a larger, stiffer and heavier tire were not worth it to me.

Well said gaijin. I went through the same dilemma for weeks thinking about sizing up my tires. Ultimately I decided to stay with the stock size Defenders as the trade offs of a larger, stiffer and heavier tire were not worth it to me.
For the mostly highway driving I do, that is probably the safer, more comfortable, more efficient tire. My insecurities lead me to want a tire for the worst situation I rarely encounter. The taller heavier tire will protect me when I hit giant potholes and road debris at highway speed. 1 inch more clearance will help when I depart the highway intentionally or not, into deep snow or sloppy turf. Hey somewhat more open block tread will also help me get back on pavement.

I'm still not sure what tire will be best, but I just ordered five nokian Rotiiva AT Plus in 275/70R18. 10 ply, Max 80 psi, 49 lb each. I suspect they will be a harsher ride. I'm curious if the stiffer side walls and higher pressure will make them still somewhat responsive, despite being one inch more sidewall?

For the mostly highway driving I do, that is probably the safer, more comfortable, more efficient tire. My insecurities lead me to want a tire for the worst situation I rarely encounter. The taller heavier tire will protect me when I hit giant potholes and road debris at highway speed. 1 inch more clearance will help when I depart the highway intentionally or not, into deep snow or sloppy turf. Hey somewhat more open block tread will also help me get back on pavement.

I'm still not sure what tire will be best, but I just ordered five nokian Rotiiva AT Plus in 275/70R18. 10 ply, Max 80 psi, 49 lb each. I suspect they will be a harsher ride. I'm curious if the stiffer side walls and higher pressure will make them still somewhat responsive, despite being one inch more sidewall?
On another forum (Tacoma), a user trashed the Rotiiva AT Plus while off-roading. Despite the sidewall having fancy tech to prevent puntures, he found that they were not very robust. YMMV.

(I was very interested in that Nokian tire because it was fairly lightweight and cool sidewall tech.)

On another forum (Tacoma), a user trashed the Rotiiva AT Plus while off-roading. Despite the sidewall having fancy tech to prevent puntures, he found that they were not very robust. YMMV.

(I was very interested in that Nokian tire because it was fairly lightweight and cool sidewall tech.)
I've not found much real-world unpaid reviews, kind of taking a chance. The size I want is unfortunately or fortunately much heavier than the stock size, 10-ply sidewalls, heavier and probably more robust and stiff than the 4-ply in our stock size. Did he actually puncture the sidewalls, or find them not robust in some other way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom