Messed up HG while attempting to reseal timing cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, while trying to redo my timing cover gasket I feel as though I compromised the integrity of my head gasket.

A few people including the machine shop have told me I don’t need to mess with the valves unless it’s burning oil or unless “I need to”.

I haven’t noticed any oil burning in the 80 in the short time I’ve had it, and I’ve had better fuel economy in the 80 than my 99 4Runner. 16.5 mpg is not bad on the highway.

Should I spend more and mess with the valves/valve seats or should I just resurface the head

Did you pull the head to adjust the valves?

Why do you feel you messed up the head gasket. What did you do to try and seal the timing cover
I took the timing cover off because the PO had an invoice from a shop that wanted to reseal it due to an oil leak.

I’m hindsight I should have probably tried cleaning it first but it. Turns out it wasn’t even leaking, but now I know for sure

I took the timing cover off because the PO had an invoice from a shop that wanted to reseal it due to an oil leak.

I’m hindsight I should have probably tried cleaning it first but it. Turns out it wasn’t even leaking, but now I know for sure

Ok and what is happening that makes you thing the HG is messed up

So you pulled the lower and upper oil pan pulled the timing cover? Replaced what? Hopefully the timing chain slipper and dampener. Then sealed it all back up with oem gaskets and fipg? And now you have a problem but are not alluding to what it is? Don’t think your gonna get a lot of help here with out more info.

So you pulled the lower and upper oil pan pulled the timing cover? Replaced what? Hopefully the timing chain slipper and dampener. Then sealed it all back up with oem gaskets and fipg? And now you have a problem but are not alluding to what it is? Don’t think your gonna get a lot of help here with out more info.
Ok and what is happening that makes you thing the HG is messed up

I haven’t put the timing cover back on. While mock fitting the timing cover onto the block I bent the HG on the front of the engine. The HG material which is compromised of a few layers of materials is now separated and bent up preventing the Timing cover from sitting flush with the block.

Time to pull the head to be sure! It’s not that hard if you can pull the upper pan you can pull a head. Lots of write ups on here. Let me know if you need anything pm me and we can talk if you got questions. I am in the middle of one right now. And have done two others.

A6CE2D0D-15DD-405B-BD98-AB15387ECF81.jpeg

D97C1F01-9E0F-4717-BD8F-AE403D811509.jpeg

I haven’t put the timing cover back on. While mock fitting the timing cover onto the block I bent the HG on the front of the engine. The HG material which is compromised of a few layers of materials is now separated and bent up preventing the Timing cover from sitting flush with the block.
Sounds like you bent the section outside of the combustion chamber. That area just seals cascading oil from lubricating the slippers. I think your fine.

So bend it back. The pressure containment is sandwiched between the head and the block, the stuff that hangs out is just that, stuff that hangs out, has Zero function.

Valid points above by the some veterans, I’m a dummy don’t listen to me.
You're not a dummy. I mean seriously, who dosen't love doing a HG job? Especially if it's not necessary. Just teasing you, it's a MUD tradition.
When I did my rebuild this time last year, my new OEM HG was bent in that location (for no extra charge). Wasn't an issue. A bend practically anywhere else would be a no go.

If your looking for an excuse to do the hg than send it!!!!

But honestly if it were me I would hammer that s*** straight and keep running. Don't fix it if it ain't broke..... or in this case if it can't be hammered straight 🤣

Time to pull the head to be sure! It’s not that hard if you can pull the upper pan you can pull a head. Lots of write ups on here. Let me know if you need anything pm me and we can talk if you got questions. I am in the middle of one right now. And have done two others.

View attachment 3101489

View attachment 3101490
I appreciate it! If I run into anything I will let you know. I have the FSM and a few YouTube videos to reference so hopefully I won't run into any speed bumps! By the way the paint on your 80 looks mint. have you done a respray?

Sounds like you bent the section outside of the combustion chamber. That area just seals cascading oil from lubricating the slippers. I think your fine.
Ill try again after work tomorrow. Got any tips? (pictures several posts above)

You're not a dummy. I mean seriously, who dosen't love doing a HG job? Especially if it's not necessary. Just teasing you, it's a MUD tradition.
When I did my rebuild this time last year, my new OEM HG was bent in that location (for no extra charge). Wasn't an issue. A bend practically anywhere else would be a no go.
Hey im already pretty much there at this point lmfao.

IMG_2121.jpg

Agreed, in for a Penny, in for a Pound.
So how was the valve clearance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom