Builds Meet Uma and not the one you are thinking of (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20200606_100746.jpg

20200520_183104.jpg
20200520_183057-jpg.2331398

The back end lift is done!!!!

Last edited:
I had to bore out the center hole to fit the Pro Comp leaf springs.

I recently picked up a set of pro comp springs for my 81. What's up with having to drill out the center hole. Can you provide more specifics? Thanks

I recently picked up a set of pro comp springs for my 81. What's up with having to drill out the center hole. Can you provide more specifics? Thanks
The alignment pin/nut was just a little to big and wouldn't fit cleanly in the hole

Glad to be seeing a build thread for this one...

Don't paint it! :rofl:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Looking forward to seeing you make this your own.

I wan to break out of the beige parade on the next CSC classic cruise

Well I did it. I started the disc brake conversion with out getting the leaf springs done. I am still trying to find one last piece of one bushing for the leaf springs. So last night I dropped off the bushing at a suspension shop that re arches leaf springs in a hope to find that match. When I got home after doing my regular house chores went out and pulled the front brake lines so I can get new ones made. Making new ones because I am going from the straight hose fittings for the old drum brakes to longer banjo'd fittings to get the new calipers on. This bushing quandary is really starting to piss me off. I have tried to reach out to ProComp and when they send me a bushing it is only 1 ( half of one, not the complete bushing.)

20200628_123542.jpg
20200628_123533.jpg

Well I got all 4 leaf springs in. I had to buy a bushing kit from a spring shop locally, come to find out that 64 mustang bushings will fit a Pro Comp leaf spring set up for my 69. So now I have a very expensive bag of bushings in my garage that I will probably never use. I thought that the front leaf packs were like the rear with the writing of the part numbers goes to the front of the 40. I could not be more wrong. In doing so I pulled the front axle too far forward and separating the slip yoke on the drive shaft. After sweating my balls off yesterday morning with 100°+ temps I stopped and decided to fix my mistake today. Today was the arduous task of taking the leaf springs back out, flipping them around and the truck almost falling on me and putting them back together. Before anyone asks no it is not sitting on harbor freight jack stands. Today I got the leaf springs in and done along with the new front shocks.

Right now it looks as though I am going to be getting quite a lot of time this week to do more to it. One of my coworkers tested positive for covid-19 and i had direct contact with him, so as per doctor recommendation I need 14 day self isolation to make sure I don't have it.

Tomorrow at least one side of the brake conversion both if it doesn't get too hot by 11:00.

20200629_112751.jpg

Getting closer. Tomorrow I will do the passenger side. That shouldn't be as hard as the driver's side. The thing that took the longest was the tedious process of backing out the wheel cylinders to get the drums off. I picked up the brake lines today and if all goes well Wednesday I'll be done with the wheels back on ready to drive. I painted the calipers with the same blue paint that I did my valve cover.

20200701_134912.jpg

20200701_134900.jpg
20200701_101646.jpg

It feels good to get one project done but to get 2 done feels fantastic. And a side note got the mountain bike done too. Lift is done and the front brakes. Rides a whole lot smoother and stops a whole hell of a lot faster. Even on my test drive i had to take some poser jeep shots

Now that I am pretty much done with the bigger projects on Uma I can't wait to get the paint done and have it looking like the vision that I have always wanted for it.

This is the list of things things that are needed to get done;
fuel neck
Ducts
Parking brake
Bumperettes
Paint
turn signal switch
Weather stripping
Seals
Re-Tint
paint and window tint will happen at nearly the same time when I have all of the interior out and it will be easier to get to all of the windows.

FB_IMG_1595723712307.jpg

Took her out to a trophy car show and doing my part with a new mask to represent what she will look like.
20200725_192449.jpg

Local band Alien Atmosphere presented the trophies because the sponsoring club couldn't find a trophy girl
20200725_193335.jpg

Uma got best work in progress.
20200725_201936.jpg

All of the extra hardware that she has gotten. Past show best 4x4 and best work in progress. Needless to say my wife doesn't really understand why i get happy winning trophies. I know i already have a cool truck i just want validation.

@unimog There is a collector local to me that has been collecting 40 series parts for 40+ years. he has forgotten more then I will ever know about 40's. I was at his place looking for an oil gauge and asked if he had a front disc brake conversion for sale. To which he replied it might be my lucky day. A few minutes later he said that he had found his disc brake kit, including hubs, knuckles, spindles, rotors and mounting brackets, and gave me a price that I couldn't say no to. So when I was doing the lift kit for the front I did the front disc brake conversion. Color painted the calipers to match the valve and push rod covers. Which is going to be the color she is going to be painted when I get the money to do so. The braking quality is so much better with the disc brakes up front. I am however still running the original master cylinder and no brake booster but I haven't seen a drop in braking performance. While I was in there I had longer braided steel brake lines made up with a more universal 10m fitting instead of the old 9m fitting that I couldn't find hardware for to save my life. therefore accommodating the 2.5 lift kit. That way I avoid any future headaches while dealing with the brake lines.

I have been temped to take the plunge and buy a kit. The whole booster/master cylinder thing is confusing on the 69’s because of the rib that runs down the firewall where the booster mounts. I am glad to know you are satisfied with the performance of front disc brakes while using the non boosted MC.

I have been temped to take the plunge and buy a kit. The whole booster/master cylinder thing is confusing on the 69’s because of the rib that runs down the firewall where the booster mounts. I am glad to know you are satisfied with the performance of front disc brakes while using the non boosted MC.
Jt outfitters makes an adapter spacer to move the booster out but depending on the master starts to get close to the carb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom