mblakec's Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello mudders,
Over the last year since I acquired my FJ62, I have been trying to soak in all the great info on this site, but haven't done much in the way of posting, so I thought I would change that now (you're welcome internet ;) ). The 62 is a family vehicle that my grandfather bought new in Oklahoma and owned until ~2008 when my father bought it and moved it out to New Mexico. Last year, when my Dad decided to sell it, I scooped it up from him. It's a great stock example apart from the NM sun doing some damage to the paint and a dented passenger front fender. It has 190k on the clock, the last 6k of which have been with me.

It will be a camping, snowboarding, and (more often) running for coffee and groceries truck. I need to take care of some maintenance to make sure it stays reliable, clean up some cosmetics, do some minor repairs, and eventually replace the suspension with an OME 2.5" setup and throw on some 31's to replace the passenger tires on there currently.

I've been a car enthusiast as long as I can remember, and for the last 10 years my DD has been a Subaru WRX STI. First car was an 88 VW Golf, then a couple Honda Civic's one of which I turbo'd and then replaced the clutch on. The STI is still my DD, which makes for quite a change of pace (literal and figurative) when I hop in the Toyota. I've always been more of a fast car type of guy, but something about driving the 62 just puts a smile on your face.

My mechanical skills are moderate at best. The most I have taken on is that turbo kit and clutch replacement on my Honda in college. With two little ones running around, I don't have as much time for such things now, but would still like to do a bit of wrenching and learning myself.

Currently, I would like to get the power locks working again. I've read about the relay mod which sounds like the route to go. I started off with greasing all of the linkages behind the door panels. That got the rear passenger lock working again for a few weeks, but now none of the locks work except the drivers. I think i may have used the wrong type of lubricant and gummed things up a bit, but i have yet to pull the panels off again and take a look. Any product recommendations for lubing up those metal and plastic linkages for the locks?

Here are a few pics from last year when I got it. I'll get a few more on here later with what has been done since then. Cheers!
IMG_8035.JPG

Last edited:
One of the first little projects I embarked on was cleaning up the OEM wheels. Following the advice of some other folks on here, I used bar keepers friend to polish the chrome.

IMG_8088.JPG

Then, I removed the wheel center caps and used a wire wheel to remove all of the old paint and rust, and repainted in black. My wife used a gold paint pen on the rear caps for the gold circle and Toyota logo. It turned out pretty nice.

EFF6022D-823F-4F80-A7CA-ED331ACC210E.jpg

RPTvx6hoT7y3hz7Rz3MrSA.jpg

Sharp truck and good work on the wheels. Nice to keep such a truck in the family and on the road.

The window lock toggle switch had broken off on my truck, leaving me with only the drivers window working. I bought a replacement drivers side switch unit from switch doctor and swapped that in and everything is good to go. And it matches the oem unit surprisingly well.
11757347-D50B-4B56-8419-6293724F4C98.jpeg

I also bought a $25 clothing steamer from the Wal and used that to remove the old purple and bubbling tint from my rear windows. There’s lots of good YouTube videos on how to do this. Took me a few hours to do mine. Not bad and certainly better than scraping with a razor blade.

I’m enjoying the old school fish bowl look for now, but I am intrigued by the“clear” ceramic tint others have mentioned to cut down on heat. Or maybe replace with regular tint at some point. Here’s a before and after. The purple tint looked worse in person.

D50C48D2-5E84-4A9C-88D1-B4FF06EBB4FE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom