Builds Maytag. 1967 LPB, a daily driven survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Because I was getting incredibly tired of having exactly zero visibility with the canopy on.. I replaced my mirror with a rear-view camera from Amazon. Brand is Vantop it was $99 and it works great!

What you'd see out of a normal mirror

20200207_100249.jpg

What you see with the camera

20200207_100244.jpg

Camera mounted on the license plate frame

20200207_100310.jpg

Video in action

Also has a front camera and works as a dashcam recorder if you add a micro sd card

Well not a great day in my neck of the woods.

Temporarily closed my business in the interest of social distancing, so I've got a bit of time.

I haven't been driving the 45 lately as it recently developed a pretty gnarly exhaust leak at the manifold (2nd port from the front). Decided since I've got the time I'd tackle that.

Well.. everything came off smoothly.

20200316_125524.jpg

20200316_133815.jpg

20200316_133809.jpg

Once off I discovered the heat rise valve was VERY stuck partially open, so that might explain some of my issues with performance before it's warmed up.

Decided to separate the intake and exhaust and work on that as well as give them some nice paint (Yes I know the gasket is NLA, was going to make one with remflex)

Well once I got them separated that's when things went downhill. Not only was that flange surface rusted to hell, I also discovered what appears to be a crack.

20200316_160659.jpg

Needless to say that won't do... Luckily I found a good intake/exhaust combo. I'll just have to wait for that to get shipped.

These projects always have a way of getting out of hand don't they?

Patrick McManus (RIP)
”Vortexing”

Decided to separate the intake and exhaust and work on that as well as give them some nice paint (Yes I know the gasket is NLA, was going to make one with remflex)
The entire gasket kit (including head gasket, side cover and valve cover gasket) along with the manifold gaskets is still avaialable from Toyota...for now. I would recommend buying a kit or two while they are still available. They are +/-$70.00 each per kit.
04112-60062

When we last left off I had discovered my early manifold to be cracked, and needing replacement.

Luckily I found one for sale on the early FJ25/40 marketplace from @Jdc1. He was able to get that out to me super quick. Thanks again!

The heat riser even works!

Yesterday set to work freshening it up. New studs fresh paint etc. I wanted silver paint for the exhaust manifold, but given the current situation and the fact that silver paint was going to take 2+ weeks to ship i opted to just go black and get her back on the road.

20200323_141347.jpg

20200323_141341.jpg
20200324_091928.jpg

Fun little junkyard run today. Picked this up for about $20... leather, integrated 3 point belts the right size. 3rd row bench from a 2000s suburban.
20200904_155952.jpg

Now I just have to make some brackets to mount it, but with the dimensions it should actually make the cabin feel a little roomier for my long torso 6'2" self. Might eventually get it reupholstered in salmon, but this is fine for now.

Interested to see the legroom as I am 6’2”. I have always been a big fan of factory seats, I feel like the aftermarket/ other makes take away from the vintage feel. That being said, it might make for some comfortable long drives!

My stock seats are getting a bit tired, and to be honest I really like the idea of having 3 point belts....since this is my daily driver that comfort and a little more safety wins out over originality.

I'm keeping the original seats and frames, and won't be changing anything about the way they mount so it would be very easy to go back to stock.

This can definitely be reupholstered and given a more vintage look which if I ever go that route I'll do. The brackets I'll be building will also preserve the fold and tumble aspect of this bench, so easy access to fuel tank and under seat storage.

Will also be easy to pull out and stick in the bed when the wife and I go to the drive in theater!

Interested to see the legroom as I am 6’2”. I have always been a big fan of factory seats, I feel like the aftermarket/ other makes take away from the vintage feel. That being said, it might make for some comfortable long drives!

I should add that it was important to me that I found something with a simple look, and that the overall dimensions would lend themselves to keeping the gas tank in place.

This fits the bill. It's very compact because it's made to be stowed out of the way 90% of the time, and it's actually almost the exact width of the stock split bench (just an inch or so narrower). The cushions are plush, but actually a couple of inches thinner than the stock ones which should give a nice space upgrade.

The only other seat conversion with belts I've seen in a 45 was an electric split bench from a Buick Park avenue and those definitely didn't fit the feel of the truck, and required relocation of the gas tank from the look of it. They were large bulky and electric. This suburban bench is none of those.

Edit: here's the post with the park avenue seats in a 45. After market bench seats for 76 fj40

I would pay special attention to the mounting location and the leg support for your right leg if possible. I have found that the least desirable part of driving my 45 now is a lack of support for my gas pedal leg. As the seat foam has softened on the original seats there is a pretty big gap between my leg and the seat when my foot is on the pedal. This results in fatigue when driving long distances.

I can stuff a small camp pillow under my leg for some support but getting a new seat in the right position would be a big win for long term drivability.

Good luck!

Pulled the stock seats for a little proof of concept.

Actually really happy with the driving position this provides. Very comfortable. It's a little narrower than I though, giving a few extra inches towards the doors, but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing here.
20200904_182605.jpg
20200904_182627.jpg

I would pay special attention to the mounting location and the leg support for your right leg if possible. I have found that the least desirable part of driving my 45 now is a lack of support for my gas pedal leg. As the seat foam has softened on the original seats there is a pretty big gap between my leg and the seat when my foot is on the pedal. This results in fatigue when driving long distances.

I can stuff a small camp pillow under my leg for some support but getting a new seat in the right position would be a big win for long term drivability.

Good luck!

That's my main issue too. My foam is so worn and soft now that there's next to no support. This bench is nice and firm.

I would raise the rear as high as you can go, my old 45 with bucket seats, it really improved the legroom, just raising it a couple inches. And,,, I want proof you can sit comfortably!! Yes a pic of you sitting in the seat!!!

Ha! Unfortunately I already pulled it out and put the driver's seat back in so you have to take my word for it for now.

But yes the goal will be to have it so the back rest is more or less vertical and the lower half fairly level.

I've discovered I can actually easily take some of these brackets off this bench to give it an even slimmer profile so I'll be able to mount it fairly flush with the gas tank on a custom frame.

Should have plenty of room.

Stay tuned...

Back in the days I drove the 43 as my daily and we travelled a lot ... more than 33 years with a bucket seat on the driver side.
The first thing I did after a longer drive was the change of the driver's seat into a bucket seat.
Landcruiser seats are junk.
If you drive a lot (not only in a radius of 45 miles )* nothing is better than bucket seats.
The first was a König bucket seat in brown the second a Recaro in black in the 43.
sm_IMG_0053.jpg
toyoffen29bky5bka-1 2.jpeg

*See the steering wheel cover this car was used .... by the way it`s the second steering wheel cover (pic after 34 years) & patched & patched & patched!:)
43.jpg

... forgotten: Why not stay period correct ?
A vintage bucket seat would be correct in your 45.
Stay period correct if you drive old cars or buy new ones.

Last edited:
What year vintage buckets do you have in mind? FJ40 seats from the mid 70s? Just curious....

There's always the battle of staying pure to an original vehicle vs. more modern safety and convenience. The vintage buckets would still leave the issue of seat belts open. @DailyDrive_FJ45 can always keep the originals, modify mounting points so the process can be reversed so the process can be reversed in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom