Builds Maytag. 1967 LPB, a daily driven survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In my opinion the only advantage of the 2H over a good 2F is fuel economy. Its steady and will run out on the highway great with H55 but wow. It’s a dog getting to speed. I spent the weekend in one this past weekend in a 60 and it really stuggles on any hill.

Im also in the process of doing a 3FE and it’s a super complicated motor to deal with for what you end up with.
Before the Holly sniper I would have picked the 3FE on your list but I’m so sold on the2F/Sniper setup I have to jump in with that one.

I agree, a well built 2f/ sniper will perform better all around, low end, top end pull, etc. What I really like about a diesel is the low maintenance, will run upside down, fording ability, and simple mechanical injection and literally one wire to fire up!

I agree, a well built 2f/ sniper will perform better all around, low end, top end pull, etc. What I really like about a diesel is the low maintenance, will run upside down, fording ability, and simple mechanical injection and literally one wire to fire up!

And yes. Swapping it into a 45 would be OK. Especially with 12v. Working on his Canadian HJ45 24v is a hassle. Too much going on to make the 1 wire comment.

I bet an H would be pretty sweet in a 45 if all bare and simple.

Still love the 2F :)

In my opinion the only advantage of the 2H over a good 2F is fuel economy. Its steady and will run out on the highway great with H55 but wow. It’s a dog getting to speed. I spent the weekend in one this past weekend in a 60 and it really stuggles on any hill.

Im also in the process of doing a 3FE and it’s a super complicated motor to deal with for what you end up with.
Before the Holly sniper I would have picked the 3FE on your list but I’m so sold on the2F/Sniper setup I have to jump in with that one.

True. But a built 2F plus the cost of the sniper is definitely more than I want to spend right now, and I've always been a nerd about diesels. I'm not really after speed, and I'll likely turbo the 2h anyway. Still not gonna be fast, but it will keep up with itself.

This is my thoughts too. I like simple. I'm sick of constantly tinkering with the F135 to keep it going properly.

I need to figure out a transmission option(guessing h41 swap and keep my transfer case) but for the moment I'm definitely leaning 2H (also might have the guy talked down to $850). It doesn't have starter or alternator, so that will add a bit to the cost, but looks like the alternator has a vacuum pump that I can run my stock transfer case shifter on. So that's cool!

I have a 3FE and 4 speed in my SWB. It starts right up and runs great but the MAF sensor/ECU does not perform well with the stick shift. I’m considering a new computer with much more advanced MAF sensor.

A lot of work in wiring etc for what you get.

I have a 3FE and 4 speed in my SWB. It starts right up and runs great but the MAF sensor/ECU does not perform well with the stick shift. I’m considering a new computer with much more advanced MAF sensor.

Yeah that's kinda what I'm seeing from my research too. I don't want to get caught in a wiring nightmare.

Not to clog up the tread but I’m fresh in the middle of dealing with my first 3FE.

Real time.

I am also building my 2F sniper right now real time and the difference in simplicity of the two is unreal.

I’m so ready to tap out on this 3FE I just can’t hardly deal.

Well I definitely like the 3FE. Unbelievable improvement from the F135 but I also had @cruiserbrett build the wiring harness so it was relatively painless for me.

I think keeping it simple is a good plan. Really depends on what kind of driving you’re doing. The 3FE has plenty of pull but there is a window where the ECU and MAF don’t provide the power needed at the right time.

EDIT: Really should clarify that this is only when heavy into the throttle going up a very steep hill or trying to launch on to the freeway like a banshee.

Last edited:
Well I definitely like the 3FE. Unbelievable improvement from the F135 but I also had @cruiserbrett build the wiring harness so it was relatively painless for me.

I think keeping it simple is a good plan. Really depends on what kind of driving you’re doing. The 3FE has plenty of pull but there is a window where the ECU and MAF don’t provide the power needed at the right time.

Majority of my driving is to/from work on I-5 at about 55mph. The occasional home depot and or garbage run... Etc. Stuff you'd do with a pickup truck. I think a slow and steady diesel will be just fine.

I know, I know, ... but an ls 6.0 is pretty hard to beat. Starts and idles smooth, quiet, power everywhere, very drivable( think chevy suburban! 3 wires to fire! It does add up, but if you really want to use a rig to its full capacity this is it! At the end of the day, a 2h will do you just fine, heck, they have been used all over Australia for the last 40 years!! Many have over 500km and still going strong!
1E0D6244-3A34-4EEC-8DCB-F6DA43A26A5B.png

I know, I know, ... but an ls 6.0 is pretty hard to beat. Starts and idles smooth, quiet, power everywhere, very drivable( think chevy suburban! 3 wires to fire! It does add up, but if you really want to use a rig to its full capacity this is it! At the end of the day, a 2h will do you just fine, heck, they have been used all over Australia for the last 40 years!! Many have over 500km and still going strong!View attachment 2453533

That right there is my sticking point. Gotta stay toyota.

Now a 1UZFE on the other hand....

Here's probably a dumb question...

But is it possible to mate my stock 3 speed transmission to the 2H?

The final drive ratio for 3rd gear is the same as 4th on the H41 (1:1) so it's not like I'm gaining a gearing advantage by going to 4 speed. I'm getting some "tire overdrive" by going up to 235/85s next week.

What would prevent me from doing this?

I don’t know if it will bolt up but from what others are describing I think you need the spacing of the 4 speed to get out of your own way. 3 speed with the F135 was really really really bad on hills.

I mean it wouldn't be ideal obviously, but it could definitely hold me over until I get around to a 5 speed swap... I don't really have problems with the f135/3speed combo in my normal driving.

Assuming it would bolt up?

Put a sniper on your F135 and save your pennies for the right driveline.
Zero chance I would go to the trouble of swapping any motor in and keep the 3 speed.

it’s not the 1:1 that is the same as my beloved H42 it’s the gear spacing to get there.

Put a sniper on your F135 and save your pennies for the right driveline.
Zero chance I would go to the trouble of swapping any motor in and keep the 3 speed.

it’s not the 1:1 that is the same as my beloved H42 it’s the gear spacing to get there.

It would just be temporary. I could go to an H55 pretty quickly, but 99% of my time is spent in 3rd anyway with where I'm usually going.

Was mainly just wondering if it was possible.

Well the 2H is more or less a done deal given the price I was able to negotiate... Hopefully picking it up next Sunday.

Here's the plan (I'm going to take it slow and do it right)

2H w/ turbo kit using 12HT turbo manifold
Air-water intercooler (possibly have to look at space /feasibility)
H41 or H55 mated to 3 speed TC (with conversion input gear) to maintain my stock vacuum TC shifter in the dash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom