Maybe a weird question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my lx450 has been sitting for somewhere around 6/8ish months. The last issue I had with it was the PHH bursting. Ended up replacing it and driving it for about a week before deciding to park it till I could figure out what’s causing a noticeable steering wheel shake from 20-45mph (which if anyone has an idea on that I could use some info). After parking it finally I notice a steady quick drip of coolant.
Cut to today. Here I’ve had it on jack stands for almost 2 hours with the driver side wheel off, waiting for the drip to return.
Alas, it hasn’t yet. The question: is it possible for a pinhole to plug itself from residue in the coolant system? I’m looking at the dried puddle that gathered before as I write this, so I know I’m not losing it yet.
I can’t imagine the absence of a leak is from not driving. Is there any way not having the engine under load is preventing it from happening?

So my lx450 has been sitting for somewhere around 6/8ish months. The last issue I had with it was the PHH bursting. Ended up replacing it and driving it for about a week before deciding to park it till I could figure out what’s causing a noticeable steering wheel shake from 20-45mph (which if anyone has an idea on that I could use some info). After parking it finally I notice a steady quick drip of coolant.
Cut to today. Here I’ve had it on jack stands for almost 2 hours with the driver side wheel off, waiting for the drip to return.
Alas, it hasn’t yet. The question: is it possible for a pinhole to plug itself from residue in the coolant system? I’m looking at the dried puddle that gathered before as I write this, so I know I’m not losing it yet.
I can’t imagine the absence of a leak is from not driving. Is there any way not having the engine under load is preventing it from happening?
Yes. Let it run and get to pressure.

For the steering wheel shake did you check the nuts on the bottom of the steering arm where they attach to the knuckle? Common for them to come loose.

Also check the preload on your wheel bearings.

And yes, residue can build up in the system plugging pin hole leaks. Run it for a while and it will probably come back.

Absolutely this happens. The coolant system operates at 190-220 degrees and at 1bar pressure. When cold and under no pressure, no leaks. When hot and pressurized there could be leaks. Totally normal for an older system that needs an overhaul.

Old trick is to 'push' the engine temperature up by tying off the viscous fan and keeping an eye on engine temperature. If you have a leak you will soon know.

Regards

Dave

That /\.
And cycle it.
Hot, wait, cold, hot cold...
As mentioned, run it and you will get your leak to leak again.

Where is the leak when when it does happen?? Left, right, front of engine
behind engine or??

Another option would be to buy or rent (from an autoparts store for example) a cooling system pressure test kit. A bright LED flashlight will help locate the leak in dark areas.

The shake is likely flat spots in your tires, I’m only home to drive mine every 3 months or so and it will never stop shaking the wheel until it gets a few hundred miles in from sitting for months. When it fist started I checked everything. Nothing wrong. Just big soft 35s with 2 corners on them.

Another thought on the wheel shake, I once had a shake start after a trip out wheeling but everything check out fine. Ended up finding a frame crack at the steering box, after I welded it up the shake stoped.

Just something else to look for after checking all the usual things. But probably just the tires if it didn’t shake before being parked for 8 months.

I had that on my 80 after it was parked up for months trying to get a gearbox over here, it had me pulling over and checking wheel nuts, but it turned out the tyres were out of shape, about 40 miles later the shaking stopped. As I cannot drive mine on the public road I took it along the farm track that runs past my house a couple of months and move it occasionally to stop them going square.

Regards

Dave

Well… the leaks back and it is indeed the PHH clamp 🙄 The shake began before the period of it sitting. Initially it showed up in a +/- 5 mph range (35-40 if I remember correctly). I rebuild the front knuckles ~10k ago, just went in and rechecked it all. Everything seems to be alright except for something I noticed reassembling: my driver side hub spindle locking nut is shot. Hell, I don’t even know how I got the first retaining nut on with how bad the threads are on the spindle itself. I’m thinking this paired with a desperate need for my wheels balanced could be the culprit.

I double checked my unit’s since previously I had similar shake due to a failed one. All are in good shape. Then I thought my driveshafts may have been reinstalled out of phase… but they both look right (front offset by 180, rear even).

I guess I’m curious if the locking spindle nut would be a factor… I just don’t see that being the case. All wheels have zero play in them with a small bit of front to back rotation when lifted. Wheel bearings are still like new.

I’m just taking shots in the dark at this point. I guess it <I>could</i> be one tire slightly warped from low psi. I’ll report back after some miles are out down.

That /\.
And cycle it.
Hot, wait, cold, hot cold...
As mentioned, run it and you will get your leak to leak again.
After a few cycles it returned🤦‍♂️ Guess that’s what I get for wishful thinking!

For the steering wheel shake did you check the nuts on the bottom of the steering arm where they attach to the knuckle? Common for them to come loose.

Also check the preload on your wheel bearings.

And yes, residue can build up in the system plugging pin hole leaks. Run it for a while and it will probably come back.
Preload is good. Nuts are good but I’m seeing two missing cone washers, might be just enough lack of tension to give some wiggle room? Where the hell can you even find that size cone washer?

Where the hell can you even find that size cone washer?
From Toyota?

From Toyota?

🤦‍♂️
In all fairness though, I would never have thought to search for axle shaft washers…

I’m thinking this paired with a desperate need for my wheels balanced could be the culprit.
I'd start here. Low hanging fruit and in my experience that's about the MPH range where an imbalance will become noticeable.

I could be way off, though. Happens often.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom