1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

matzell's stretched FJ40 build

Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by matzell, Aug 27, 2017.

1. matzell

matzell

Quarter panels are starting to take shape...

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

waiting for time and Mace like this.
  2. matzell

matzell

3. fjdiesel

fjdiesel

@matzell How many inches did you stretch the body and frame?

4. matzell

matzell

10"

5. fjdiesel

fjdiesel

That's what I thought it looked like. I just received my Aqualu 10" stretch tub as well. I think it will make a nice length for a 40. Yours is looking good!

6. matzell

matzell

without the flare but has larger wheel well opening but has lip like factory. This give me the option to install or not install the flare. Line shows where the lip of the flare mounts.

IMG_1625.JPG

gator25, G-Cat, incogrhino and 2 others like this.
  7. matzell

matzell

Progress has been slow but the tub is starting to take shape. Left side is almost done and the right still has a little fitting to be done. We used 16g so it should last a long time and be pretty solid. I hope to get it home soon!

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

76FJ40, TLEX, Stumpalama and 2 others like this.
  8. matzell

matzell

Fuel door cut in. I am using a s-10 tank and fuel system so the tank is in the back.

fuel fill 1.JPG

fuel fill 2.JPG

9. matzell

matzell

I am still waiting to get the body and chassis back from RVA Hot Rods and Restorations...In the meantime I have been collecting parts.

Like most builds this one is starting to take a different direction. I have been thinking about really wanting to keep a manual trans. I also really wanted overdrive. I ran across a deal on a NV4500-split case combo that bolts up to a SBC. OK I bought the combo. Now I have a pass drop t-case. No worries I have pass drop D60 fronts. Now the rear diff output if offset as well. Could always narrow a 14B housing and offset the pinion. Or put my nice 78 FJ40 axles back in it and save a lot of trouble.

This brings up the SBC that was in it. I have looked at A/C set ups and compressor mounts and relocation kits, it looks like the SBC set up is much better and easier than the LS option. AND the NV4500 will bolt right up and the SBC will bolt right back where it was as will all the plumbing and cooling and electrical. See where I am going with all this?

This all brings up the ride height. I have owned and driven a spring over FJ40 on 35's. This one appears taller or I am getting older! I know the current springs on it are 2.5" lift springs so it sits up even taller. This brings up mutliple options:

1. Go back to the 4" lift and Cruiser axles that were in it before

2. Keep the spring over and use stock lift springs with cruiser axles

3. Keep the spring over and use stock lift springs with a pass drop D60 and 14 Bolt

4. Go back to the 4" lift springs and do a SUA with pass drop D60 and 14 Bolt

Here is a pic of my 77 with the 4" lift and cruiser axles. 33" tires

I am thinking of putting the 2.5" springs on the 77, tall skinnys, and I found a nice 2F to replace the current SBC, and and make it more stock. I have been looking at some of the FJ Company builds and they do a 2.5 OME lift and skinnys.

Of course my wheels are spinning thinking of this 74 stretch project and my 77.

The green one is the 75 I drove everyday out of college. 33" tires and about 3" lift. I really like the way it sat and was easy to get in and out.

1977 FJ40.jpg

1975 fj40.png

76FJ40 likes this.
  10. matzell

matzell

While my wheels are spinning on the suspension and axles, RVA Hot Rods and Restoration media blasted the frame today. I plan on making new mounts and boxing the rear of the frame in for strength.

1074 fj40 frame blasted.JPG

11. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

Cast Saginaw box mount staying?

12. matzell

matzell

Jason,

Yes. I drilled and sleeved the frame with heavy wall dom for all the bolts. I am not worried about ripping it off the frame like I have seen done in the past with ones that were just welded. Good eye!

Body is supposed to be primed today and I plan to head over tonight to help re-assemble it so I can bring it home this week.

Race car is prepped and in the trailer and I have the home shop cleaned out for it. I plan on bringing the red 77 home as well to make sure I get all the hole measurements correct in the body. I have gone back and forth but decided on Ambulance doors for the 74 and the tubular spare tire carrier. I think I drooled over those FJ Company cruisers too much at SEMA. I actually spotted one here in Richmond last saturday. I chased him down and talked with him for a few min, also too some pics. I can only hope mine turns out half this good.

fj company 1.jpg

fj company 3.jpg

fj company 4.jpg

13. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

Very drool worthy!

14. matzell

matzell

More progress pics today...drivetrain back in for transport, body blasted and seam sealed all the joints. Found a little more pitting near the front side vent section that will need a little attention before putting those panels back on. I should be able to get it home this week! I hope!

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

15. matzell

matzell

Tub got seamed sealed and primed late last night!

stretched primed.JPG

16. matzell

matzell

It is home!

stretch home 5.jpg

stretch home 4.jpg

stretch home 3.jpg

stretch home 2.jpg

stretch home 1.jpg

gator25, GLTHFJ60 and 40Wanted like this.
  17. matzell

matzell

After measuring my 73 with stock springs on it, it appears now with weight on the front end, These may be stock springs, not the 2.5" lift springs I thought they were. Jury is still out. Either way it looks too tall on bald 35" tires. Either drop it down or bolt on some 37's? V-8 and 4:56 gears, it should do fine?

18. matzell

matzell

I threw on a 37 to fill the wheel well. What do you think?

stretch on 37s 1.jpg

stretch on 37s 2.jpg

19. A10Driver

A10Driver SILVER Star

Albums:
  20. FF LC FREAK

FF LC FREAK

Media:
    Albums:
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">