Marilee’s Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! I'm new to the Forum and just got a 1995 80 Series! My husband owns Land Cruiser Grilles and he is rebuilding it for me!!!!! I will attempt to help him, but I don't know much about it. Right now I am using a heat gun to try and take off Rhino Liner.....ugggg. I tried using paint stripper made by Klean Strip, but maybe need aircraft stripper? Kelly has a sander I could use, but I recently had carpal tunnel and not sure if I can handle the sander?!?! Tomorrow or Monday, we are taking it in to have the interior re-upholstered with Vinyl sides and cloth fronts. Right now all of the seats have camo gorilla tape on them. 3rd-row seats taken out and thinking about having him paint it an old 6H9 (Green). I am new and learning...this is FUN!

IMG_1960.jpg

Welcome to MUD !! You’re in a great place to learn how to work on your truck.

Rhino liner is a pain to take off.

There is a lot of "ouch" in those photos but looks like a fun project...oh and welcome..:flipoff2:

No idea if the following will work on bedliner but I used them to remove a complete, bad paintjob from my 80. General principal is that they melt then sling off glue, plastics, paint, etc. If the top coat, bedliner in this case, has a lower melting point than the paint beneath it then you may be able to remove the bedliner without removing the underlying paint. I was able to do this but it takes a while.

Here's the tool I'm referring to:

I'd buy one or two to test with as they are useful for other tasks too. If they work and you go this route you'll need many more to do the whole truck. Good thing about going this route is there is little follow up repair/cleanup needed after you finish the removal.

I'd avoid strippers/chemicals if possible as they can do damage where they seep onto plastics, into hidden areas, etc. etc. Sandblasting can require a lot of follow up to undo all of the impact it has but it's possibly faster than a lot of alternatives.

Good luck!

No idea if the following will work on bedliner but I used them to remove a complete, bad paintjob from my 80. General principal is that they melt then sling off glue, plastics, paint, etc. If the top coat, bedliner in this case, has a lower melting point than the paint beneath it then you may be able to remove the bedliner without removing the underlying paint. I was able to do this but it takes a while.

Here's the tool I'm referring to:

I'd buy one or two to test with as they are useful for other tasks too. If they work and you go this route you'll need many more to do the whole truck. Good thing about going this route is there is little follow up repair/cleanup needed after you finish the removal.

I'd avoid strippers/chemicals if possible as they can do damage where they seep onto plastics, into hidden areas, etc. etc. Sandblasting can require a lot of follow up to undo all of the impact it has but it's possibly faster than a lot of alternatives.

Good luck!
I tried the ereaser. Didn’t work
1593987387367.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom