Making “Dary” a Legend..........again. The rebirth of an ‘85 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
“The Wheels of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a memory catches hold. The memory was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheels of Time. But it was a beginning.”

Before introducing “Dary”, I need to apologize for butchering this Robert Jordan quote.

Anyways, Dary is my Third 60 series to own. Henceforth recognized as the Third age in my 60 series Land Cruiser evolution. First age was an ‘85 that I found in Tyler Tx. I ended up trading it for a FJ40 back in 2005 I think. Second age was an ‘88 FJ62 that spent it’s life here in Dallas. I daily drove it for about 2 years back when I needed something cheap and dependable.

So, while it has taken over 12 years to advance from the Second Age to the Third, I was only ever without a Land Cruiser for about 6 months during that time. I have owned several 40’s, a couple of 80’s, a 100, and currently daily drive a 200. But none of them have provided the feeling of being behind the wheel of an FJ60. Not even the 62. Not even close.

I always knew I would have another 60. I just didn’t know when. I could never bring myself to sell a stash of parts kept “just in case”. I could never pass up a good deal on a part I knew I would need “eventually”. As the Wheels of Time kept turning, somehow in mid 2020, things fell into to place. I finally had the time and budget to allow a memory to catch hold. With the rising popularity and ridiculous prices FJ60’s were commanding, I knew I needed to get serious in my search for a new Land Cruiser.

I can’t count the number of Cruisers I looked at before finally settling on this one. Suffice to say it was a lot. There was a failed attempt at flying across the country to buy one and drive it home. Still shaking my head at how the seller thought I wouldn’t notice everything they had lied about. I guess they thought I wouldn’t Uber back to the airport and head home after traveling all that way. After the failed plane trip, desperation started to creep in. With no prospects in sight, I am embarrassed to say that I low balled a local FJ62 owner. 🤮 Fortunately, before a deal could be made, I was notified of a some what local October of 1985 Dark Blue Metallic (8b4) FJ60 with 170k miles. Exactly what I was looking for. Had to be blue or gray with a gray interior. Would have settled for white, but luckily I didn’t have to. Lots of pictures and a few phone calls later, the deal was done and on November 06, 2020, I made the 8 hour round trip drive to bring Dary home.

I plan on documenting everything I can as I attempt to completely refresh this FJ60. I promise from this point on there will be more pictures and less writing.

Chad

Pictures from the day it was picked up.

FAB180BC-783F-4EF1-98B6-0F9DDC4E19D9.jpeg

E1EB3722-33AF-44E4-8C9C-DD811E5D70BC.jpeg

1EBAC955-EA1D-4080-BDC3-1A3DC0E362FB.jpeg

More pics and first mod.

Something about the way I drive an FJ60 must be weird. I have no idea why, but I can not be behind the wheel of one for more than a few minutes before the horn honks. It has provided for some head scratching moments from people who happen to be near me when driving down the road. City or highway driving doesn’t seem to matter. Sooner rather than later, the horn is going to honk.

Needless to say, the first mod had to be an FJ62 steering wheel. You will not hear too many good things said about a 62 from me. However, the FJ62 steering wheel might be the best Land Cruiser wheel there is. Today was the day the new wheel got installed.

From this:

61056074-2EC8-4CA0-905B-D4306A8C0BE4.jpeg

To This: I can’t stop smiling.

AF5457B7-0EA9-4C9C-B49C-73C8D661BBEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats on finding the 60. Can't say I love the look of the 62 wheel but completely understand bumping the horn switches, and it seems like a good remedy. Does the horn wire/pin in the headlight switch harness clip into the 62 horn pad? Overall it looks pretty clean.

10/85 60s UNITE! Welcome back to the madness!

The 62 horn wiring is a part of the wheel, not the cover. Simply bolt it on.

FE76ADAF-6E56-4A8A-86F5-A50B64C59F9A.jpeg

Below is the 60 cover. You can see the wires are part of the cover, not the wheel. You have to disconnect that wire to remove the cover. On the 62, you just remove the cover.

FD1AD420-292F-482E-AE29-9A74F9D95166.jpeg

Finally had some time to work on a few things. I am at some point going to move this project to the shop and deal with issues from front to back. But for now, while it sits in the driveway, I will keep plugging away at some of the little stuff.

I had one of these hand throttles on a previous 85 FJ60. Always thought they were cool.

645DD1DC-8D33-4093-8CF3-1BE5FEB0D396.jpeg

This is a 1 :banana: job. Or at least it should be.

Remove the plug on the dash and slide the cable through. Use the included split nut to tighten it to the back of the dash.
7FD41E5F-1DA2-41B7-A47A-75CC6C4DF537.jpeg

There are two holes near the top of the accelerator pedal on the firewall that the bracket bolts to. The fitting at the bottom of the cable slides into the bracket to hold the cable steady as it is being used.
3F153816-FE83-41E5-83AC-144EAFDDC2F8.jpeg

As you can see in the above picture, the end of the cable has a hammer shaped fitting that fits at the top of the gas pedal. The pedal has a split at the side of that hole that the cable will slide into. It helps to use your elbow to depress the pedal as you are doing this as it adds a little slack to the cable. After sliding the cable in, there is a plastic lock with a slit that slides over the cable and fits into the hole to lock the cable to the pedal.

5AE074B4-4C4A-41D0-B140-FB48C2B2FB29.jpeg

I have attached the above picture as a public service announcement as to what not to do. Common sense will tell you that no matter how nice it looks with the plastic plug on this side of the pedal, just don’t do it.

Fast forward a for a few minutes.

The cable included this Allen wrench to loosen the nut to allow you to adjust and straighten the pull.

A51D583D-CB5E-419C-B550-1E77ADD14CD9.jpeg

Pull the cable out to test it and you should be done. Remember to turn the knob to release the cable so that it can be pushed back in. Like I said, 1 :banana: job. Unless, you put that clip in on the front side of the pedal (like the pic in the previous post) so that when you pulled the cable to test, it shoots to God knows where to never be seen again. Trust me, it will happen.

I spent the next hour looking for it. Pulled the carpet back and tried feeling into every crevice I could find. Finally! Success!!!!

It was hidden in the hole behind the pedal adjuster.

5A373D9A-065A-4E40-9897-A460CF195F67.jpeg

This is what it should look like.

16E8C1E1-4D4E-4D85-8630-BA58B4D21470.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that throttle just held where you pull it to by friction? Is there a way to rig a safety release when the brake is tapped or pressed like a regular cruise control? I had a vacuum-type cruise control on my ’87 60 almost thirty years ago, but i think it wore out in the late nineties and i never replaced it.

Not friction. You can not push it back in without turning the knob to release it. I can't see any possible way to safely make this a substitute for cruise control.

As you can see in the above picture, the end of the cable has a hammer shaped fitting that fits at the top of the gas pedal. The pedal has a split at the side of that hole that the cable will slide into. It helps to use your elbow to depress the pedal as you are doing this as it adds a little slack to the cable. After sliding the cable in, there is a plastic lock with a slit that slides over the cable and fits into the hole to lock the cable to the pedal.

View attachment 2649459

I have attached the above picture as a public service announcement as to what not to do. Common sense will tell you that no matter how nice it looks with the plastic plug on this side of the pedal, just don’t do it.
Does anyone know where to get those plastic locking things?

Sor.com 042-39. Described as hand throttle cable guide. Pretty sure that’s it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom