major major major tune up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
going on a long trip in a few months.. and i want to make sure everything is super fly..as in not breaking down and engine running good .. so i got a few questions about a few items that i dont know if they go bad or should have them replaced just cause its prob not a bad idea anyway....here they are( OIL PUMP, AIR PUMP, FUEL PUMP, THERMOSTAT, COIL, OIL SENDING UNIT AND WATER SENDING UNIT) i am gonna replace the water pump and hoses and the starter, i was just wondering about those and if there is anything else i should be on the look out for just let me know..oh i am gonna do the normal tune up cap, rotor, belts and so on...
thanks agian
-al

The pieces that you are talking about in quotes are things that you should not worry about. If your water pump is leaking, replace it. I would not worry about those things that you listed there, unless they are showing sings of a problem...

Look, a new water pump could fail on you, soon after you replaced it, not likely to happen, but it could...

Run it, do not worry about things, and have fun!

Good luck!

-Steve

Going on a long trip means you need to keep an eye on the fluids. I would bring some extra oil and brake fluid. Extra water to drink and for the radiator. Check the fluids regularly. Duct tape is a good temp fix if you have a hose problem. Also bring a tow strap. In case you break down, some one can tow you into town.

Being prepared with the above and a first aide kit is a good idea no matter what you are driving.

i talking about a 2000 - 2500 mile trip :)

Be brave, remember you're driving a Toyota. I took a 10,000 mile trip through Mexico two years ago I certainly did not replace all kinds of parts "just because". Mexico has NO Toyota dealers (well not quite I think there is one in Mexico City) and I still was not overly concerned. Did I have problems, yes, beginning in Chiapas no less, it's to be expected. Would I have carried the part to repair it, no, I didn't even know the part existed prior to the trip. Go, roll with the flow and if you need parts be glad there's a Toyota dealer in most every town! I ended up driving from Mazatlan to Vancouver, B.C. using ONLY 3rd and 4th gear!! It's no biggie.

Just carry the usual stuff, spare fuel filter, distributor cap & rotor etc. and have fun.

so i should not worry bout the oil pump because i dont want that to go... and be totally stuck with no engine...
Cruiser Guy sounds like a crazy trip, what cruiser did you take?

If your oil pump goes, you'll need more than a new oil pump. And there's a better chance you'll put it together wrong, if you replace it now, and end up with a blown engine than there is that it will happen to go whilst you are out and about.

thanks...well that saves some work :)

I agree with everyone else, the parts in () are not worth replacing unless showing signs, so save your money, and double check some other important stuff like: balanced tires, proper torque specs on wheels, suspensionn parts and steering, just double check them and make sure nothing is loose. Get an alignment tune up the engine and enjoy.

Save the money from the other things you were gonna spend on and HURRY UP AND GET SOME BIGGER TIRES!!! :D ;)

yeah i hear that i dont know if i should get bigger tires first and just burn the clutch out, or put the new in clutch before....hmmm i am super sick of those 31s tho :)

Hard to say on the above, 31's on a soa do look silly. By the way, where are you going on your road trip?

[quote author=lowtideride link=board=1;threadid=10203;start=msg91116#msg91116 date=1074319372]
so i should not worry bout the oil pump because i dont want that to go... and be totally stuck with no engine...
Cruiser Guy sounds like a crazy trip, what cruiser did you take?

[/quote]

The '82 gets to go on all the road trips. We drove from Vancouver, B.C. through to the Big Apple this past summer. Next summer Guatemala is on the list. :D It's in much better shape and I've had it for 15 years so I KNOW whats going on with it. It gets all the cool stuff. It didn't have the 5 speed, A/C or turbo on the trip to Mexico though. The mountains around Mexico City convinced me about the turbo real fast :D and the heat and humidity in the jungle told me A/C cannot be called a frivolous option, even on a utilitarian SUV and the interstate demands a 5 speed! :cheers:

My spare parts consist of a set of glow plugs, thermostat & gaskets, rad hoses & fan belts plus my tools and ever present OEM shop manuals!

i live in south florida... so im starting out there and driving up the coast. im taking all the small roads close to the ocean, checkin out the surf spots along the way.. and driving up thru the outter banks of NC, driving and offroading on the beaches and sand dunes there... and following the coast all the way up to PA. thats where i spend my summers. its pretty boring there but the offroading rules.. i figure the trip will take about 2 weeks annd 6000 gas stops...
if anone is along the way id be glad to hook up and go offradin at a local spot :)

-al

Ouch, Pa, never again will I drive through or even near that state. No offense to anyone, but after our little experience on our 2k mile trip, Pa about ended us. Crazy winds, crazy, on exposed ridges, snow squalls, 50 car pileup, and no trees to block the wind. I almost pulled off and rented a room until spring, too scary in January. But my new tires took it like a champ. Lowtide, have fun, Outer Banks should be killer. What size tire are you going with?

im going with 35s with stock gear for an over drive on the highway on the way up and when i get there im putting 4.56 in because there are some nasty hills there

yeah last winter in PA was crazy snow storms every weekend i barly got it out 4 wheel drive the whole winter... i was in a 50 car pile up comin back from the poconos last year tooo...wonder if you were there?

No, we just avoided a 50 car pileup with 34 semis in the mountains of I80, about 10 days ago or so. 60 miles of roadway was closed, took an extra 4 hours to navigate the back roads. That trip makes me appreciate sitting here on the computer at my house all warm drinking coffee. I thought we were screwed, even the dog needed a blanket inside the truck, and the snow blew so hard, it was building up snow on the blanket on top of me. Damn that hardtop!

No offense taken Archengine...I80 in snowy blizzardy conditions is pretty scary. A major truck route..add in some non snow country drivers and it is a recipe for disaster in bad weater.

Lowtide where do you end up once your in PA ? I'm in SE PA...when you get closer look me up....maybe I'll help you get your sheet metal welded on your rig, ;) if it hasn't been done yet.

One place you should check out would be Assateague Is. just south of OC Maryland. 13 miles of beach to ride on....ponies...pony shiite and skeeters won't be out this time of year. Costs @ $70 for the permit but its good for a year...and goes to fund the Is. good cause. camping shouldn't be a problem this time of year either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom