MABDR Weekend Run, June 22-24 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We thought is was time to start finalizing plans for a weekend on the Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route!

The idea is to explore some of the southern routes starting at the PA/ MD line and head south.
The following showed initial interest in the trip but all that are free are welcome to come.
@JohnVee, @BROKEROB1, @caz, @Crusha, @gearwrench.

We want to keep this as informal/ fluid as possible to allow for some discovery if it presents itself. I personally haven't spent any time in this area other than passing through so am looking forward to new scenery!

A few of us are planning on meeting up at @BROKEROB1 cabin Thursday evening, June 21st, vic. Blairs Mills PA. and spend the night there.
Friday morning we will head towards the PA/MD line to link up with route along Section 4/5. From there we will run most of 4 (120 mi =/-) to Moorfield area, continuing into a portion of Section 3. By continuing south into Section 3, we will enter into the northern section of George Washington National Forest. Several camping options are available although I'd prefer to take advantage of the dispersed camping option which will give us a lot of freedom to setup camp wherever we can find a decent area. Campfires are allowed and rules do apply, but it seems fitting for the weekend.

For folks that can't run on Friday, this would be a good link up area for Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Saturday we'll continue south on Section 3 of MABDR ( Moorefield to Covington 192 MI) and look to camp somewhere in the southern portion of GWNF. There is alternative camping locations and lodging if you are interested.
By the end of the day on Saturday, we should be in the Roanoke/ Blacksburg area for reference.

Sunday is at your leisure... You can continue south on Section 2 (Covington to Newport 80 mi) or head home.

That's all for now and all suggestions are welcome! Let's see if we can put our heads together and get this finalized.

Thanks for setting this up, Jody! Weather dependent, I’ll be on a motorcycle. If anyone else wants to tag along on a bike, feel free! Any and all are also welcome at our cabin on Thursday night... there is plenty of space! If you’re interested in staying at our cabin on Thursday evening, PM me your cell number or email and I’ll send you the GPS coordinates. FYI... we do not have any cell signal there as it is pretty remote.

Teaser for day one (Friday)...

And @Crusha I’ve got some Jefferson’s Presidetial Select 16 with your name on it!

Last edited:
Oh man, I so want to do this. Might be joining @BROKEROB1 on the bike though. Will confirm after I check with the boss lady.

It's not looking good for me to meet you guys on the early, northern legs of this. Probably can't get out of CLT until Saturday AM so I'm currently thinking, departure time dependent, of running some of it south to north and catching up with y'all for Saturday night. I'd then either keep going up for a bit on my way to NOVA or just hit the highway north with y'all. I need to be in NOVA Sunday evening. Honestly, the possibility of Sunday lunch at this German place in Staunton might dictate my path north! Yes, I'm very food motivated.

There's always a chance of my original idea of catching you guys Thursday or Friday but I'm gonna have to plan on the above and hope for the possible early option.

My fallback plan for shˆt VA weather is to hit the Low County Land Cruisers 'Low Country Boil' on Saturday but that's almost 3 hours in the wrong direction and I'd prefer slogging it out to backtracking that far that fast on Sunday.

Last edited:
In!

I’ve sent everyone a message with directions to the cabin (except @Stoshu as his inbox is full).

If you are thinking about joining us, shoot me a message...

Rob

I'm sorry guys, but I am going to have to bow out of this one. I would not be able to get away until Friday night at around 5 when my wife gets home from work. You guys will be long gone by then!

Also have not quite finished some work I am doing on my truck.

Have fun!
Andy

It looks like we're a trio now! @BROKEROB1 @joabmc and myself.

Rob, are you still taking a bike?

I should hopefully be at the cabin before dark on Thursday.

We'll miss ya @caz !

Sorry about that @BROKEROB1 , I didn't even realize there was a limit on the conversations. That problem has been solved. However, I have a graduation party Saturday that I can't get out of. Trust me, I've tried and Mrs. Stoshu will have none of it. I'm going off to pout now. :crybaby: Totally bummed out about this as I was stoked when the mabdr opened up. Going to try to hit it on the bikes later this summer with my son.

I’m still debating... I have a carrier for my bike for the 40 so I’ll throw it on and decide tomorrow evening... it’s looking pretty good for the weather!

It looks like we're a trio now! @BROKEROB1 @joabmc and myself.

Rob, are you still taking a bike?

I should hopefully be at the cabin before dark on Thursday.

We'll miss ya @caz !

I may have to run to Hummelstown tomorrow evening. If so, I’ll link up Friday morning. What’s the departure time?

How about we plan to meet up around 8a on Friday?

That sounds like a plan.

Should we meet somewhere else, or is the cabin still the best rondevous point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom