LX470 Stereo Upgrade with Nakamichi (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I installed a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS in my '99 LX. It does have a remote turn on wire. This is connected to both the factory Nak amp and power antenna. Been working great for months now. When I turn the head unit on, the amp turns on and the antenna goes up.

On a side note, using the Pioneer speaker outputs to the factory amp doesn't cause any issues. I had previously tried the preamp outputs, with rca adapters on the amp side, but there was nothe enough gain, and an excessive amount of noise.

Is the antenna powered from the amp on the Nak systems? So all I would need is a Pioneer head unit equipped with a remote turn-on wire?

Ah, this has Car Play, but a little more coin than I want to dump into a head unit...

Take a look at the Pioneer AppRadio4. Doesn't have a disc player but does do Car Play. I've had mine for a couple years and it's been great. Can't tell you anything about the antenna. I gave that up to avoid the drama with the snorkle install :cool:.

I have a 2000 LX470.

1) I don't see in the TLC FAQ what the #1 +B (white) wire on the harness is for. Anyone have an idea?

2) I also have a #12 (brown/white) wire that the TLC FAQ indicated was blank. Their are comments there stating that others also had this wire, but no reply as to what it was or what to do with it.

3) Anyone see a problem with connecting the #5 Antenna to the #10 Acc? The MicroBypass (MB) instructions advise against connecting the MB to the power antenna wire and suggest connecting it to the #10 Acc wire.

4) Also noted in the comments of the TLC FAQ was a problem with connecting the two illumination wires #4 and #13 to the same radio illumination wire (Pioneer orange/white). Console lights were ON when car lights were OFF, and then OFF when car lights were ON. Anyone else have this problem or were you OK with connecting both #4 and #13 to the same radio wire?

upload_2017-1-28_11-2-41.png

Will be doing this (RCA to pre-Amp). On the initial install test I am getting hiss with the direct wire connection to OEM AMP. Tried Radio Schack earlier today and they had nothing, suggested I get RCA cables and cut them.

Thanks for your help. I just finished my install.
I ran the ebay double din knock off version from the ebay seller "spiral installations" it was 40$. The fitment was ok and sounds a lot like you described with the beatsonic needing a touch of superglue. After that was done it looked very clean. Well worth its cost.
I had to run RCA to speaker wire kick downs with my install. I installed an avic 4000nex carplay and when SIRI came on she sounded terrible and was overpowering even on low volume. This when I was running through speaker the wire hookups on the back of tIhe radio. I could hear a little feedback as well. Its funny because the radio sounded great, but in carplay SIRI and using apple maps it was terrible.
I was able to retain my factory subwoofer using the RCAS because the 4v preamp was closer to the actual output of the original NAKAMICHI.
For me running through pioneers original internal amp disabled the subwoofer.

I would recommend using the RCA to speaker wire method if you have front and rear speaker outputs. looks something like this.

Will be doing this (RCA to pre-Amp). On the initial install test I am getting hiss with the direct wire connection to OEM AMP. Tried Radio Schack earlier today and they had nothing, suggested I get RCA cables and cut them.

Any updates?

I have the RCA to speaker connections ready to go but have been held up trying to understand why the day/night dimmer wont function. Minor annoyance I am going to put aside and I am going to move on to the RCA connections after this post.

The #4 Illumination measures .02 volts with the lights off and .03 with the lights on.
The #13 Illumination measures .03 volts with the lights off and .05 with the lights on.
Any ideas?

upload_2017-1-30_17-48-30.png

What's the largest double Din one can fit in a '99 LX 470 HU space especially when one is using the " Beat-Sonic SLA-100fb"

Thanks
I am using the $20 version. Its a loose fit, slides forward and back. I will correct with some adhesive. The limiter for me has been the space behind the HU. I am connecting two USB's to my 4200NEX for Apple and Google car play. They extend out the back creating a tight fit when screwing the deck to the dash.

WIN_20170130_16_40_31_Pro.jpg

Off topic a little bit, but....

My original goal - replace defective headunit and keep the Nak amp.

I ended up getting frustrated enough with the wiring system after I swapped out the headunit that I bought a Clarion XC2510 Marine Amplifier(for less than $200 at Amazon). The Clarion is pretty small and I hope the marine rating helps deal with the amp's placement under the Passenger seat.

At the headunit end I only used the #4 (illumination) and #10 (Accessory) wires. Ran common ground and power wiring to amp and headunit. Ran all channels via RCAs from the headunit to RCAs at the amp. Also ran a dedicated blue wire from the headunit to the amp for a remote turn on -- probably could have reused the #14 Amplifier + (black/red) wire - but I wanted the wiring scheme to be as clean as I could easily make it. At the amp I tied the Clarion amp speaker outputs to the wires that went from the OEM amp to the speakers.

I currently run a Kenwood headunit so a parking brake bypass is as simple as running that wire to the same common ground as the headunit and amp. I have the Tundra fixed antenna mod so the antenna wiring doesn't matter to me but I note Kenwood units have a dedicated antenna wire.

Amazon.com: UCEC SHORT SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Male to Female Extension Cable, Left and Right Angle - Black (Pack of 2): Cell Phones & Accessories

did you find out Is the antenna powered from the amp on the Nak systems? So all I would need is a Pioneer head unit equipped with a remote turn-on wire?

Yes I believe you're correct that the remote wire on any deck would supply the antenna relay. But more that likely it comes from the deck, not the amp. *i only know the 2006 LC. I probably have no business offering anything about the LX

Finished changing over from the HU speaker wire to the RCA's. Much better sound and no hiss.
Still can't get the illumination to work, will look at fuses next.

I bought the Panasonic mic for setting sound level and really like the sound after it does its magic.

Labeling all the wires beforehand really helped.

WIN_20170130_21_51_32_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170130_16_38_37_Pro.jpg

looks great. Possible to post some day light picts looking straight at the HU? Is that the ebay trim kit and any link?
Thanks

Finished changing over from the HU speaker wire to the RCA's. Much better sound and no hiss.

I bought the Panasonic mic for setting sound level and really like the sound after it does its magic.

I am sorry to ask, it probably sounds like I am not keeping up, but I need to make sure I understand where you are, as I think I am on a parallel path to do what you are doing...

Are you using RCA pre-amp output from the head unit to the Nak amp, and that resolved the hissing?

I hope you can figure out illumination!

Is the mic for using the stereo to make phone calls?

Thanks!

My experience was exactly the opposite. I first tried the preouts to the factory amp on my x4800. Turning it on for the first time, there was a huge amount of noise and hiss. The volume had to be turned up really high just to get minimal volume.

I switched to speaker outputs and everything works like it should. I'm very happy with the results.

Once our Wisconsin weather improves, I do plan on swapping out the amp and speakers with new stuff.

Sorry about the messed up post. I was just trying to avoid posting redundant photos.

I just wanted to say my outcome was better using the speaker outputs instead of the preouts on my new Pioneer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom