Lx450 randomly won’t start...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
Early today I drove down South to Keizer, waited in the In N Out line for around a hour. 80 idled the whole time, went and ate in the car at idle. Drove to a store, was in there for maybe 10min, come out and starts right up. Go into another store, in there for around 15min or so. Come back out and the 80 starts back up. Then drive 10min to go get gas. Turn the 80 off and get gas. As it was done filling up I went to go start it, and it won’t start. I try again as if I thought I was doing something wrong. It would just click once when I turned the key over. The electrical worked, stereo came on, light and everything. Only thing I noticed out of the ordinary is the Ultraguage I have plugged into the OBII port didn’t turn on like it usually does when I turn the key. Ended up sitting there for a little over 5min, went and tried it again, fires right up like nothing happened. Drove north for 20min, had it parked for a hour or two, went to start it, fired right up, Anybody got ideas what could have happened? Things to check for? I’m stumped.

I’ve had the same problem. It turned out to be the fusible link. Swap a good one into your truck or check for continuity. Mine was obvious. If I moved the fusible link to one side, the truck started. Move a different way, the truck was dead in the water.

Check this FAQ out for more troubleshooting.

I’ve had the same problem. It turned out to be the fusible link. Swap a good one into your truck or check for continuity. Mine was obvious. If I moved the fusible link to one side, the truck started. Move a different way, the truck was dead in the water.

Check this FAQ out for more troubleshooting.

Thank you! I will check that out. It was very random and have not had that happen. Even when I drove it 2930 miles home.

Thank you! I will check that out. It was very random and have not had that happen. Even when I drove it 2930 miles home.
Same here. I only had the problem affect the truck once. I drove it home 60 miles with no further issue. I bought a couple fusible links and now have an extra in the truck.

Since reading that link above, I also bought a EFI relay, fuel pump relay, a 50 amp fuse and made sure I had every part that could leave me stranded on the trail, waiting in the spare parts box.

Since you were idling that long, you could have been low on charge on the battery. Then heat soaking the battery.

If my belts are not tight, I can pull up to a light and watch my voltage drop on my Ultragauge down to about 11.7V. If I sit there too long, my turn signal relay will start to buzz with every blink. A soon as I rev the engine, it charges at 14.4V and no issues. It typically occurs when my belts are getting worn and loosen up again.

I tighten my belts and they're good for another 5K.

Same here. I only had the problem affect the truck once. I drove it home 60 miles with no further issue. I bought a couple fusible links and now have an extra in the truck.

Since reading that link above, I also bought a EFI relay, fuel pump relay, a 50 amp fuse and made sure I had every part that could leave me stranded on the trail, waiting in the spare parts box.
Sounds like these are good additions. I keep a fusible link in the truck but do you have links or part numbers on the EFI & Fuel pump relay as well as the 50amp fuse? I'm sure it's buried in here somewhere but I hoped you might have it handy.

Thanks in advance!

do you have links or part numbers on the EFI & Fuel pump relay as well as the 50amp fuse?
You can find all part numbers for any vehicle.
partsouq.com and enter the VIN.

Sounds like these are good additions. I keep a fusible link in the truck but do you have links or part numbers on the EFI & Fuel pump relay as well as the 50amp fuse? I'm sure it's buried in here somewhere but I hoped you might have it handy.

Thanks in advance!
Fuel Pump Relay - 28380-66010
EFI Relay - 90987-02004-83
COR Relay is the same part number as the EFI and is located under the left kick panel.
The 50 amp fuse can be found at an auto parts store.

Last edited:
Since you were idling that long, you could have been low on charge on the battery. Then heat soaking the battery.

If my belts are not tight, I can pull up to a light and watch my voltage drop on my Ultragauge down to about 11.7V. If I sit there too long, my turn signal relay will start to buzz with every blink. A soon as I rev the engine, it charges at 14.4V and no issues. It typically occurs when my belts are getting worn and loosen up again.

I swear, you’re always replying to all my threads! Not complaining, just showing appreciation! Well I thought it was strange because the two stores I went to before were close to each other, and it was parked for longer then I was when getting gas. Plus when I was headed to get gas, I was driving at hwy speeds. But I will check my belts this evening. Thank you!

Early today I drove down South to Keizer, waited in the In N Out line for around a hour. 80 idled the whole time, went and ate in the car at idle. Drove to a store, was in there for maybe 10min, come out and starts right up. Go into another store, in there for around 15min or so. Come back out and the 80 starts back up. Then drive 10min to go get gas. Turn the 80 off and get gas. As it was done filling up I went to go start it, and it won’t start. I try again as if I thought I was doing something wrong. It would just click once when I turned the key over. The electrical worked, stereo came on, light and everything. Only thing I noticed out of the ordinary is the Ultraguage I have plugged into the OBII port didn’t turn on like it usually does when I turn the key. Ended up sitting there for a little over 5min, went and tried it again, fires right up like nothing happened. Drove north for 20min, had it parked for a hour or two, went to start it, fired right up, Anybody got ideas what could have happened? Things to check for? I’m stumped.
How long since your starter was replaced/rebuilt? That perfectly matches the intermittent conditions that accompany the need to replace contacts. Also, as many of us have found, a starter solenoid relay becomes a need after time due to the degradation of the original wiring. I used the painless kit and have never had another issue with my truck giving the click.

This is true, but the starter wouldn't impact the obd2 port not powering... the two combined may point to the key cylinder

How long since your starter was replaced/rebuilt? That perfectly matches the intermittent conditions that accompany the need to replace contacts. Also, as many of us have found, a starter solenoid relay becomes a need after time due to the degradation of the original wiring. I used the painless kit and have never had another issue with my truck giving the click.
The starter was replaced with a Denso before i bought it back at the end of September. I think itd be a good idea to check connections on the starter.

about 3 weeks ago i put in a new stereo, it had an aftermarket one in it when i bought it. A friend of mine thinks it could be the stereo. As in the stereo could be drawing. But im still confused on how it would happen so random and just this one time. Also. im second guessing the ultraguage now, as of right now, the ultraguage doesnt turn on until i start the 80.

This is what I was thinking as well. Those quick stops barely helped to recharge your battery.

I remember reading in one of my Toyota manuals that there was a warning against idling it for long periods of time.

BTW, an hour wait for In-N-Out? Bloody hell! Then again, that’s the price for good proximity to trout and steelhead water.

^^^^ this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom