LX450 locking differential conversion parts list and good pictures? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm looking to get all the links to all the appropriate posts for this and also see if i can get a parts list for this (including the obvious stuff since i'm a noob) as well as any more pictures. also any links for removing and reinstalling the axles or servicing the differentials. not in a hurry but would like to make sure i have it all together at some point.

any better links for this with a good walk through?

what about for removing and reinstalling the axles?

anyone got parts numbers for the axles or some of the other parts?

basically i would like to slowly start gathering the small parts and install the rear subharness etcetera in the event i get some time and money to do the mechanical part.

THANKS

LINKS:

PARTS (working on this):

front locking axle with locking differential (or just the front locking differential?)
rear locking axle with locking differential (or just the rear locking differential?)
rear passenger side locking axle with shorter splines (?) or machine down the non-locking axle
rear subharness with the locker wires (82163 - 60052)
ECU (of some kind?)
ABS and diff lock connectors
6 pin plugs currently use is for your ABS connector (?)
vacant 6 pin connector is use for subtank.
bulb holders and bulbs for locker lights in dash controls

Last edited:
pictures from the above threads:

5 wire pin.jpg

Alarm Sys.jpg

Behind Kick Plate.jpg

Door Pillar.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

I realize this is a loaded question, but why are you doing all this? Just to get factory lockers that are slow to engage/disengage? I mean they just aren't all that great.
After coming from a ARB locked 80, the factory lockers are a bit disappointing in real world use.

I realize this is a loaded question, but why are you doing all this? Just to get factory lockers that are slow to engage/disengage? I mean they just aren't all that great.
After coming from a ARB locked 80, the factory lockers are a bit disappointing in real world use.
no that’s why i post. always up for intel and experience.
part of it is just being able to read up and make sure i understand what is involved while i have the time. then i can put it aside and get to it slowly if the opportunity arises. part of the deal is i like learning on this rig so aside from repacking knuckles i guess when the time arises this would be a good project if i was able to snag some axles cheap.
but from the sounds of it you don’t think it is worth the effort? or you are saying is if you want a locked 80 put in ARB’s?

no that’s why i post. always up for intel and experience.
part of it is just being able to read up and make sure i understand what is involved while i have the time. then i can put it aside and get to it slowly if the opportunity arises. part of the deal is i like learning on this rig so aside from repacking knuckles i guess when the time arises this would be a good project if i was able to snag some axles cheap.
but from the sounds of it you don’t think it is worth the effort? or you are saying is if you want a locked 80 put in ARB’s?
My point is that without swapping parts or jumping through hoops or swinging a dead chicken over your head, there are drop in options. ARB, Harrop, etc.
Yes, they all require some amount of electrical and/or pneumatic control to operate, but they mate to your existing axles, don't require massive harnesses and ECUs, and all work better/faster than the factory setup.
And as an added special bonus, Joey makes a harness that has the magic OEM dial.

I'm not trying to put the kabosh on your plans. People will pay a premium for the factory lockers for some reason that I can't understand.
Personally, I would rather spend the money on a well maintained 80. I would regear and rebuild all 4 corners anyway, so dropping in lockers is just a material cost at that point.

I'm not trying to put the kabosh on your plans. People will pay a premium for the factory lockers for some reason that I can't understand.
Personally, I would rather spend the money on a well maintained 80. I would regear and rebuild all 4 corners anyway, so dropping in lockers is just a material cost at that point.
no i’m up for input. i just researched this a little and decided if i did it OEM would be how i would go.
so now the issue is getting my head around the mod and keeping my eye out for parts (and making sure i know which ones to buy).
basically i would like to make sure i understand the full scope of the work and i am not really finding it i guess.

The simplest way to get OEM lockers is to buy complete axles/ housings.
Refresh them on the bench.
Then swap out complete housings.

I've retro fitted lockers into non locked housings, and it's a bit of a pain. I'll probably be doing it again in the near future, because I have the locked centres.
The locked centres don't just drop straight in. The non locked housings needs a clearance notch cut out to allow the locking mechanism to fit in the housing, and a couple of studs need to be relocated. Also, a bit of welding and grinding is needed to build up a matching surface for the different shape gasket.

Also, finding some of the parts can be a pain.

The short side axle (with LONGER splines) is no longer available as far a I can tell, which is a pain, because I need one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom