LX = Less Street Cred? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Street cred is 80% impressing pre-pubescent boys and 20% impressing other Cruiser owners (the latter if you own a Cruiser). Your success in the 80% will be seen in head turns from sedans, minivans, and SUVs from the back seat, and the 20% in anonymous acknowledgment waves on the road. Note that if your wife is pretty, or you are pretty, the 80% may also include teenage boys.

Trail cred, on the other hand, is getting yourself in, through, and out without breakage, damage, or getting stuck for any reason other than driver stupidity. For the unknowledgeable, you may pick up somewhat more trail cred wheeling a Lexus than a Cruiser.

Smart shoppers build for trail cred, street will follow as the trail dictates - you may desire to remove all that LX plastic, or all that LC plastic for that matter, over time.

In my experience, at least here in the Los Angeles area, a typical LX is cleaner and has 20-30% less miles on the clock than a similar LC.

And both the LX and LC have "FZJ80" stamped on the frame.

When I was searching for an 80 this is exactly what I observed.

While my rig is not factory locked, it was very well cared for. Something that IS unique to the Lexus, is access to full maintenance records if it was serviced at a Lexus dealership. I have a copy of everything that has been done to my rig since '97. It has proven to be a great platform for my build. Got a set of 4:88s and some ARBs on the way which will take care of the locker issue.

It is also awesome seeing the look on peoples' faces when you take on challenging offroad obsticals that other rigs dont even come close to-- That is my definition of street cred...

If that's true, it merely to compensate for the inferior drivers behind the wheel.:flipoff2:

True, some of us need all of the help we can get, so if a vastly superior rig helps, then that's what it takes!:p:hillbilly:

Ever since removing the flares and bed lining the lower half, people ask me what I am driving? Some think it is the new Land Cruiser, others think it is a foreign spec model and others ask if the bed lining was a factory option. It confuses the hell out of them. Once you mod it enough they get more indistinguishable. If I cared about "street cred" I would drive an h-2 or Escalade on the street but I care more about "off the street cred".

Look if you put spinners and blue fluorescent tubes under the running boards, your "cred" is gone no matter what.

Dont forget the tire dressing to make your brand new KM2s shiny on that waxed lifted Warn winched roof racked bunch of lights Jeep Rubicon JK.
But then what do I know about the driver?

I'd never give up my LX for a second class LC :flipoff2:

Only real men drive LCs.:flipoff2::hillbilly:

:meh::hmm:Buy the best one for you, doesn't matter, they're both 80s.

Go to tlca.org and check out the LX under the Tall Corn Cruiser Classic heading. I know, shameless plug for my rig.......but like others have already said, it's what you do with it that matters. Mine is full of tree pinstriping and a couple of scrapes from that photo. (no sheetmetal damage though, that's what the armor is for)

Tony

I have the LX and my wife hates it. She says it rides like a dump truck, the seats freeze your a$$ off in the winter, and you cant drive past a gas station without having to stop.

With an ARB and mean tires, nobody believes that my LX is a lexus anyway.
My sisters were confused as to why I would buy a truck thats not a toyota.
I call it a landcruiser. At this point the only distinguishing marks are the grille, the steering wheel, and the side cladding.
Personally I think a built Lexus is cooler, but it certainly doesn't matter. Plus I can tell my (future) wife I bought her a Lexus so she can feel like a :princess:

I know its a 100 and a very bad picture, but you get the point...

mud.jpg

Find the lowest mileage best condition LX/LC you can afford. You can't go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom