LX = Less Street Cred?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Evoking, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Evoking

Evoking

So I've been lurking for a while... Had a couple of softy trucks over the years like ML430, Infiniti QX4, GMC Denali. But I've always admired the LC. Particularly the FJ80.

To me its the last of the real trucks in both apperance and off-road capability. So I've just gotten rid of the 4 door and am finally about to pull the trigger in next few weeks.

Been shopping daily for LC and LX's. So now to my question... While I know they are basically the same truck, somehow to me it seems the LX looses some of its mojo because it's been deliberately softened and priced up and isn't the original article - at least in name. Also, this truck will be our family "daily" but I do plan on hitting the occasional trail (not sure how many here in Dallas).

If you're going to have an older rugged SUV does having the luxury version come off more "poser". Is the LX actually the better truck? Any feedback welcomed...

2. NLXTACY

NLXTACY Wits' End Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd never give up my LX for a second class LC :flipoff2:

Its the same truck so its doesn't really matter. The springs were slightly softer, the leather was nicer. More body cladding and lots of Lexus emblems. Get what you can afford and has what you need. It really doesn't matter if its an LC or an LX so enjoy!

3. bugsnbikes

bugsnbikes SILVER Star

in short- the image problems can be solved for them with some aftermarket parts--a few dents--and some tree limb scratches(even for the pink pantied LX models).

I do seem to see quite a few more LX;s in grocery grabber shape.

If i were you--id be searching for the lowest mileage-best service history model you can find within your budget...........LX or LC.

You also tend to have good bargaining power if you find one with cosmetic issues like torn seats- faded paint-dings-etc......... The real needle in the haystack is one that looks a bit rough around the edges(for bargaining purposes)---but has great service history and lowish mileage.

you would also be wise to look into the typical 100k-140k premaintenance issues and see how many of them you can find that are addressed by the previous owner as things like front axle rebuild- radiator- rotors/brakes- etc can add up quick. My previous owner had 4k in receipts of most of the aforementioned stuff between 90k and 120k.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  4. John Galt

John Galt

It sorta depends on what's more important to you. What YOU think of your truck or what you believe others think about you because of your truck. My LC is 70 series turbo diesel, what others think don't mean jack to me.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  5. sailor

sailor Jackass of all trades

Either or. I often get domestic truck owners looking over my rig. Came back from the donut shop to find a guy with his head in the front wheel well. Never happened with my Jeeps come to think of it... A young kid (20ish?) crawled all over it and proclaimed it the 'Royalty of Toyota four wheel drive'. I tend to agree.

6. tblume

tblume

I think I'm jealous of your truck;p

7. NLXTACY

Media:
    Albums:
    SAILOR, you don't play fair because your rig tips the scales too far into LC's favor over LX :flipoff2:

8. sailor

LOL... Seriously. It amazes me how many people are cruiserheads. Mine is nothing unusual but seldom a day goes by without a favorable comment or conversation about 80s. OP- get the bes.t one you can find

9. sailor

In this one area alone I am happy to say I will cheerfully go both ways! 3500mi and no issues.

10. NLXTACY

Media:
    Albums:
    Because every other time you swing both ways it wasn't a happy and gentle yet caring experience? :flipoff2:

11. alaskacruiser

alaskacruiser

Evoking- if you look at the FAQ, you'll see the differences between the Landcruiser and LX450 are negligible. Your "street cred" will depend more on how you use your vehicle than the badge engineering going on. If people only see your Landcruiser at the mall with a Warn brushguard on it, they will think of you one way. If people see your LX450 on the trail, modded, and you're not afraid of getting it dirty, they will think of you another way. But if you ask me- who cares what other people think?

12. sailor

NLXTACY. You swine.

ps. well done! ya got me. LMAO!

13. NLXTACY

Media:
    Albums:
    Look if you put spinners and blue fluorescent tubes under the running boards, your "cred" is gone no matter what.

14. d0ubledown

d0ubledown

its got street cred. if its good enough for biggie smalls..its good enough for you.

no seriously. its all good they're the same thing where it matters. only difference are just minor luxury appointments and body cladding. irrelevant stuff. you may get teased for needing to wear pink panties...but that just comes with owning the luxo-lexus vs the OG LC.

15. firetruck41

firetruck41

Substance over style. IOW, get the best 80 series, in the best condition you can find, regardless of miles or Toyota/Lexus badge. I've had both, I like the LX better because it is newer, has lower miles and is a color I like. I was just looking for an 80 I liked, could care less if it was a LX or LC.

16. Evoking

Evoking

firetruck41, I see you had a 470... How did you like it? Apparently you prefer the 80?

17. unwiredadventures

unwiredadventures www.unwiredadventures.com

In my experience, at least here in the Los Angeles area, a typical LX is cleaner and has 20-30% less miles on the clock than a similar LC.

And both the LX and LC have "FZJ80" stamped on the frame.

18. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

It's common knowledge that the pink panties rigs are the finest of the breed, anyone who says otherwise are just jealous of the far superior rigs!:D:p
    ltt_sticker.jpg

19. Box Rocket

Box Rocket SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    If that's true, it merely to compensate for the inferior drivers behind the wheel.:flipoff2:

20. badmuthatrucka

badmuthatrucka

It's the same vehicle with different badges. Screw other people and their little opinions, get what you can find in the best condition/best price. Debate closed!

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. Everybody loves their version of this vehicle, they are both tough to beat on road or off. They wheel like crazy, look good while doing it, and feel great to drive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.