Low Gear Manual Tranny Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.engusa.com
A few years ago I started my build and back then Classic Cruisers was making the plate style adapter and the drill/tap input shaft, with a nice washer. I was thinking about building another Fj40. I wanted to do a sm465 again or a sm420 to an Orion. I started looking around IH8MUD to recall the parts I would need. From what I have read it seems no one makes the adapter plate any more. I don't like the AA one as it's so long.

What are people doing now a days for a build with low gearing? Going with automatic swamps?

Does anyone have the design for this adapter plate?

A few years ago I started my build and back then Classic Cruisers was making the plate style adapter and the drill/tap input shaft, with a nice washer. I was thinking about building another Fj40. I wanted to do a sm465 again or a sm420 to an Orion. I started looking around IH8MUD to recall the parts I would need. From what I have read it seems no one makes the adapter plate any more. I don't like the AA one as it's so long.

What are people doing now a days for a build with low gearing? Going with automatic swamps?

Does anyone have the design for this adapter plate?

EBI makes the parts for the SM420 SM420 Adapter : Extremebends.com | Landcruiser Toyota Parts and EBI 4x4 Accessories

why not an H41 with no adapter

If using a GM V8 and feel the need for the 7 to 1 first gear would go a SM420 or SM465. Otherwise would search for a H41 with split case that has a hand brake. Can buy a gear set for 4 to 1 for the split case. If the transfer is 10/82+ can always use it to for a H55F when you want the OD to get to the trail.

An added bonus is you can steer away from the 10 spline output(known to wear)

Never run anything but a Land Cruiser transmission in mine. I know the 16 spline on the H41/H42 were more prone to wear on the splines. The 10 spline that had deep cut spline reduced the diameter of the output that was solid and tend to snap verses wearing the splines. Which makes wear an advantage because could feel the slap caused by the gap between the output shaft splines and input gears splines. You have a warning you need to replace parts. Snapped ten spline had no warning and towing it home.

I have been using the long AA on my SOA 40 for about 10 years no issues. 350 Chevy
It also was the 32 or 35 spline 2wd tranny Sm465. Can’t rember actual spline count ,I went with this option because I acquired three of these transmissions,,, It’s been working fine and no driveline issues I did move my rear axle back a little.

I like the idea of the split t-case and an H41 non-usa.

Will an H41 bolt up to a 1F or 2F bell housing?

Im looking online about the split t-case and from where I read I understand I want on the larger shaft diameter and a parking E-brake from at late model fj60. Is that correct?

I also think I understand the H41 non-USA might be a direct bolt or might not to a split t-case depending on the tranny year? Some configuration will require an OEM spacer/adapter and some won’t?

I like the idea of the split t-case and an H41 non-usa.

Will an H41 bolt up to a 1F or 2F bell housing?

Im looking online about the split t-case and from where I read I understand I want on the larger shaft diameter and a parking E-brake from at late model fj60. Is that correct?

I also think I understand the H41 non-USA might be a direct bolt or might not to a split t-case depending on the tranny year? Some configuration will require an OEM spacer/adapter and some won’t?

Not sure how big a deal having a 38MM verses 34MM idler shaft is for a 40 series. As for the hand brake that is the 8/80+ LWB FJ45 and HJ47 are the only ones with a hand brake. 8/80 the four speed moved from a sixteen spline output shaft to nineteen spline output shaft. Went from a one piece transfer case to split transfer case. The 8/80+ transmission is designed to use a crossmember but will bolt to the earlier bellhousing and use those motor mounts.

@csd1982 Sorry to bring up an old thread but wanted to see where you ended up on this journey. I currently have an SM420/Orion, but the 420 is giving me some issues as it is slipping out of gear. I'm with a local shop and Novak, but in case it doesn't work out I'm considering some other options. I would like to keep my current setup due to great low 1st gear, but also considering going something a bit more modern with more part availability. Thanks

I have a 350 V8 in my truck. I have an H41/3 speed case combo I’m hoping to drop in - though the Orion is still calling.

My second choice would be the H55/split case if I were starting from scratch but the H41/Orion is low hanging fruit (no driveshaft modifications).

I still have not gotten that far yet. I just bought my second rig, fj45 so now im starting to plan my build.

As for tranny and t-case...I put my name on the list at Marlin for a toybox. They have been collecting names I guess to understand demand.

I also was emailing with classic cruisers last fall about the sm465 plate they use to make. That is the adapter I have in my 1975 fj40. The new owner was talking with me and he did not even know they shop made the adapter. I was telling him what is was and he sent me some images of an adapter Templates and I told him those are what I would need if he ever made them again. He did not know what he had. It would be nice if it was machined again.

Thanks for circling back and will have to check out your 45 build if it is up here yet. This whole transmission question has me all sorts of confused on what is best and what to do. Interesting on the Marlin ToyBox, I will have to look into that.

Thanks for circling back and will have to check out your 45 build if it is up here yet. This whole transmission question has me all sorts of confused on what is best and what to do. Interesting on the Marlin ToyBox, I will have to look into that.
My sm465 to the Orion is in my 1975 fj40. It uses the classic cruiser plate adapter. I first tried the AA and it was way to long with the 2F. The sm465 is great IMO.

Thanks...I reached out to Georg at Valley Hybrids to pick his brain as well. The 465 does seem like a more modern option and probably more parts availability and will work with the Orion which a plus.

Thanks...I reached out to Georg at Valley Hybrids to pick his brain as well. The 465 does seem like a more modern option and probably more parts availability and will work with the Orion which a plus.
Did you decide to go with a sm465? If so where are you getting the plate adapter abs you need a sm465 10 spline output shaft that needs to be drilled and tapped.

Did you decide to go with a sm465? If so where are you getting the plate adapter abs you need a sm465 10 spline output shaft that needs to be drilled and tapped.
@csd1982 So I finally got my rig back a few weeks ago. Through my local shop and Novak, they were able to replace a few items, but ultimately it came down the input shaft. Even though they felt mine was in good enough shape, we decided to swap it out for one that was in just a little bit better condition. The shop had to add a few very small shims to get the alignment just right. Knock on wood…it appears to be working really well. It feels solid and is not slipping out of gear. I haven’t gotten it on the trail yet, so that will be the first real test.

@csd1982 So I finally got my rig back a few weeks ago. Through my local shop and Novak, they were able to replace a few items, but ultimately it came down the input shaft. Even though they felt mine was in good enough shape, we decided to swap it out for one that was in just a little bit better condition. The shop had to add a few very small shims to get the alignment just right. Knock on wood…it appears to be working really well. It feels solid and is not slipping out of gear. I haven’t gotten it on the trail yet, so that will be the first real test.
That’s good, so your sm465 is connected to a land cruiser transfer case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom