Loss of power on incline road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I have a questions concerning my '97 LX450 with 97K. I noticed when driving on highways or roads that's slightly uphill, I seem to not able to add more speed even when I step on the gas peddle. For instance, if I am driving 65mph on a road going uphill, it will remain at that speed on the incline portion untill I reach the flat portion of the road and then the truck starts to pickup speed. On a flat or slightly incline road it does not seem to have this problem.

Is this normal for a truck that weight's over 2 tons given the heavy load it needs to carry going uphill or do I have an engine problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jeff

Define two things for us:

Step on the gas pedal. IE enough to get it to pick up a gear or 2?

How steep a hill?

sounds like it doesn't wanna downshift?

Cruiserdan,

Not really a steep hill, but more like a long stretch of highway that's hilly. Mabe like a 25 or 30 degree incline. Yes and if I step on the gas peddle all the way it will shift into another gear.

Hltoppr, are you saying this is a normal occurance for this truck?

In all seriousness, you should be getting a downshift. My first guess is that the tranny kickdown cable may need a small adjustment. That being said, 25 to 30 degree inclines are close to prime avalanche territory, so I'd guess the incline is more like 6 to 8 degrees, FWIW.

Losing speed and ending up at 55mph on that hill in 3rd gear is a normal attribute of a 3FE... :(

-H-

Hltoppr, You're probably right about the degree of incline level and please excuse my igorance, what's a 3FE and is this the same engine type as my 97 LX450.

-Jeff

you can disregard the 3FE chat (it is the engine of 91/92 FJ80s).

We 3FE people live in a different land of expectation in regard to hills.....

We say "please just make it to the top!"

It sounds normal to me, perhaps a downshift a little sooner is appropriate.

Jeff, the 3FE is the 155hp 6 cyl. used in the FJ62s and 91-92 FJ80s; known to be quite the workhorse, but not too great in the power department.... That's the engine I have...

You have the 212hp 1FZE engine, which, 9 times out of ten is what most people prefer. What you are experiencing sounds about right, and I doubt that you really have any problems. Most people here who want even more power out of the 1FZE go with a supercharger, such as Cruiserdan, who also answered on this thread. Of course, that opens up some new issues in and of itself...

-H-

Its funny when people talk about the 3fe being slow, how about a Unimog with a 3.0L Diesel in it. About 100 horsepower, 150 pounds of torque in a 7000 pound truck. There is a reason those Mogs come with 400:1 crawl ratios :D :D :D :D

I actually talked to a guy that runs a Mog at the Rubicon, he says the whole way up to the trail on HWY 50 is 30-35 mph.

Cary

Hiltoppr, Dankunz and Cruiserdan Thanks for all the great information. I feel alot more at ease now my LX450.

LX,

Late to the party with additional comments. I too feel that what you describe is normal for a naturally aspirated 1FZ.

That being said, there is a cure for it ;) How does around 300 horses and about 400 lbs torque grab ya? :eek:

cruiserdan, how much would that extra horsepower cost?

around 3.5 g's, in the box.

Speed does cost money, you will also need to run premium gas at all times.

Jeff -
The supercharger makes the world a whole lot flatter, with the same effect on your wallet. Embrace 11.5 mpg and $2.25 a gallon and never look back. BigMac

Jeff, others -

>> I'd guess the incline is more like 6 to 8 degrees...

8 deg is a pretty steep climb for a highway, and Hltopper is correct - that is probably about what you are climbing judging from your description. At that kind of a grade, especially with any extra weight on board, you cannot get much more out of a 1FZ.

Your description sounds exactly like my '97 going up 8 deg. As the others have said, sounds normal to me as well.

Cheers, R -

Ummmm.....make sure your floor mat isn't stuffed to far up under the gas pedal........sometimes it's the REALLY simple things :D

John H

Well Jeff, I'm *really* late for the party.

Couple of things....

>> Is this normal for a truck that weight's over 2 tons <<

Nope, but your truck is over 3 tons. Normal.

Your 97 has a little button on the shifter that will turn off the over drive, dropping the transmission into 3rd gear (1:1 ratio.) This is the same thing that would happen if you floored the accelerator but without the WOT (wide open throttle.) Playing with the OD on and off will get you up those tiny 8 degree bumps without drama.

Now the 30 degree hills will be more of a problem. For those you'll want the super charger for sure.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom