Sudden power loss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, pretty much a total noob here but I could use some thoughts from the collective hive mind. I've got a 97 Toyota land cruiser and all of a sudden it has completely lost power. It drives fine up to about 30mph then suddenly it cant get up a hill unless I absolutely floor it. All the gears shift up fine no slippage, theres no knock from the engine and no codes are being thrown. No misfires. Gas mileage is naturally in the toilet. Reading through the forumn I'm thinking the one of the cats or both have gone bad or the MAF is dirty/shot. Is it possible for these to go without it throwing codes? Any other ideas?

Hi, pretty much a total noob here but I could use some thoughts from the collective hive mind. I've got a 97 Toyota land cruiser and all of a sudden it has completely lost power. It drives fine up to about 30mph then suddenly it cant get up a hill unless I absolutely floor it. All the gears shift up fine no slippage, theres no knock from the engine and no codes are being thrown. No misfires. Gas mileage is naturally in the toilet. Reading through the forumn I'm thinking the one of the cats or both have gone bad or the MAF is dirty/shot. Is it possible for these to go without it throwing codes? Any other ideas?
Any recent work done?

How many miles?

There should be about a 100 - 115 degree diff between before the cats and after the cats, with the after measurement being higher. This check really only confirms the cats are operating properly; not so much that they are clogged or not.
Except that clogged cats will provide a different (probably lower or less) difference between before and after.

The power loss sounds fuel pump'y. Not sure how to t-shoot that w/o replacing for replacing's sake.

I had a similar issue on a 97 4Runner that turned out to be the cats. I tired various diagnosing methods and that didn't yield much. I finally just unbolted them one day and bam, power restored. Although it was very loud! Haha.

When the cats are plugged up, the manifold vacuum will drop to near zero long before the engine gets to high rpm. It can be tested in the driveway with a vacuum gauge.

Hey thank you all that replied. After testing the resistance on the MAF and it coming up good ended up zeroing in on Cats as being the problem. Ended up biting the bullet and replacing them with a new magnaflow one and power has been restored and can now once again accelerate up hills again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom