Lose Rear Wing Rivet Nut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WTB

Threads
Mud Haters,

I removed my rear wing a while back to make room for some Maxtrax.

After removing the wing, I reinstalled the bolts to prevent water from entering the holes. I would now like to swap the OEM bolts with stainless cap screws. All of the bolts except one came out easily. The top left bolt, that came out before, cannot be removed because the rivet nut is spinning.

The washer on the bolt is larger than the rivet nut so I can’t get pliers on it from the outside.
I put some penetrant on the bolt and attempted to back out with no luck. I also pulled the 3rd brake light to see if I could reach the rivet nut with pliers, but no dice.

Do any of you fine members of mud have any suggestions that will not mar the paint?

IMG_5827.jpeg

Only thing I can think of is to cut the bolt from the side (after applying a few layers of tape to protect the finish), which would free up space for you to use pliers to hold on to the spinning nutcert and use a bolt extractor for the rest of the bolt. Once that's done, maybe try Loctite around the nutcert to prevent spinning and then carefully installing the replacement bolt?

Only thing I can think of is to cut the bolt from the side (after applying a few layers of tape to protect the finish), which would free up space for you to use pliers to hold on to the spinning nutcert and use a bolt extractor for the rest of the bolt. Once that's done, maybe try Loctite around the nutcert to prevent spinning and then carefully installing the replacement bolt?
Excellent Idea! I will try some loctite on the nut first. It will hopefully get sucked up between the rivetnut and body then harden, allowing me to back the bolt out. If not, I will bust out the grinder.

Red Loctite seeped right in between the rivet nut and body. I will let cure for 48 hours, reapply some penetrant to the bolt, and see if she backs out.

I agree, Loctite first, then cutting bolt. Would try a dremel or something with more precision than a grinder since you'll be right on the paint! :)

Reactions: uHu
Unfortunately the loctite didn't work. I don't think it will bind to the clearcoat. I may try JB weld.

Unfortunately the rivet nut cannot be accessed from under the hatch panel.

Put a wedge in between the bolt and the top of the rivnut. You want to try and spread the head of the bolt away from the rivnut while spinning the bolt head. A flat blade screwdriver works or plastic interior trim removal tools. If that doesn't work, cutting the bolt is the next option.

Mine was not rivet nut. They were loose nuts spinning inside frame rail from an aftermarket hitch installed by previous owner.
10-4. I tried getting a rusted bolt out of a rivet nut and stripped the nut. However, I agree that a quick shock may be able to brake it out if the nut was epoxied.

I may try packing some braided fishing line between the rivet nut and body to keep it from spinning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom