Looking to test drive HZJ77 in socal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

After researching the different 70 series models, I’m interested in purchasing an HZJ77 but have never driven a 70 series LC before so I’d like to test out how it feels on the road before diving in further. Would anyone be willing to let me test drive their 70 series in Socal? I’m in Claremont, near Pomona, and would happily drive to your location and treat to some beers!

Thanks in advance!
Meloh

Once my FZJ75 is done at Cruiser Tech you're more than welcome to drive my Troopy. So long as you know how to work a clutch that is..
Awesome! Is your Troopy a LHD or RHD? I can drive a LHD manual but have never tried a RHD manual.

Awesome! Is your Troopy a LHD or RHD? I can drive a LHD manual but have never tried a RHD manual.
You probably already know this, but the HZJ77 was only ever offered in RHD. I will say that driving RHD manual is not much different than LHD, and it is quite easy to make the switch.

You probably already know this, but the HZJ77 was only ever offered in RHD. I will say that driving RHD manual is not much different than LHD, and it is quite easy to make the switch.
Good to know the switch is easy! The listings I've seen lately for the HZJ77 seem to have a lot of automatic transmissions vs manuals for some reason. Was it an easy adjustment for you overall driving on the right side in the US? I'm slightly worried the turns may be tricky but have heard it's not too bad once you get used to it.

Good to know the switch is easy! The listings I've seen lately for the HZJ77 seem to have a lot of automatic transmissions vs manuals for some reason. Was it an easy adjustment for you overall driving on the right side in the US? I'm slightly worried the turns may be tricky but have heard it's not too bad once you get used to it.
It really is an easy adjustment. One of the big benefits of making the switch in something like a 70-series is that they have excellent visibility and are relatively small (especially widthwise). There is a lot of room left in our North American road lanes to get used to where the vehicle sits in relation to the driver. The biggest adjustment for me was remembering that the wiper and turn signal stalks are reversed; for a while I had a tendency to turn on the wipers when going to make a turn. Driving a manual helps with that: the left hand is occupied with the shifter, leaving the right hand to run the indicators.

It really is an easy adjustment. One of the big benefits of making the switch in something like a 70-series is that they have excellent visibility and are relatively small (especially widthwise). There is a lot of room left in our North American road lanes to get used to where the vehicle sits in relation to the driver. The biggest adjustment for me was remembering that the wiper and turn signal stalks are reversed; for a while I had a tendency to turn on the wipers when going to make a turn. Driving a manual helps with that: the left hand is occupied with the shifter, leaving the right hand to run the indicators.
Makes sense, thanks for the insight!

I’d say the major downside of a RHD in America is passing on 2 lane highways. It may not be an issue depending on where you live, and of course people always chuckle about passing someone in a diesel Land Cruiser.

I live in a rural area and have tractors/equipment on 2 lanes so passing can be dangerous without a trusted co-pilot.

Unless it’s a spot I can easily see no one is coming or it’s a tractor, I just don’t pass. Really that situation has only come up a few times in my years of ownership.

My 16yr old daughter (at the time) drove my rhd bj74 manual all over without issue.

What’s the saying?

RHD…so easy a mailman can do it.

just as a warning... not only will it be difficult to find a HZJ77 in CA, it will be expensive (or illegal) to own a HZJ77 in CA. California hates diesels, so to register one in CA, you need to make it compliant with CA emissions requirements. My understanding is there are places that will modify your car for you to make it compliant, but it takes many months and costs north of $10K. Maybe somebody who has done one or at least more closely researched it will add something.

I know a few CA residents who have diesel land cruisers, but they all register them in other states. I'm sure that technically must be a fineable offense if you don't keep the car mostly out of state. I know somebody who does this with a Montana registered RV for tax reasons, not emissions, and they have to keep records of how many days the RV is in state vs out of state.

Hi All,

After researching the different 70 series models, I’m interested in purchasing an HZJ77 but have never driven a 70 series LC before so I’d like to test out how it feels on the road before diving in further. Would anyone be willing to let me test drive their 70 series in Socal? I’m in Claremont, near Pomona, and would happily drive to your location and treat to some beers!

Thanks in advance!
Meloh
Hey just saw this. I currently own a white 1991 HZJ77 RHD Diesel and live out in Pacific beach. I can confirm that it is registered out of state and it IS a pain in the ass to get them registered in CA. However If you plan on using the car for everyday use, keep in mind, THIS CAR IS A TRACTOR. I say that not as a bad thing but its not going to ride like a normal post 2000 4x4. The thing is a beast with the 1HZ engine and leaf spring suspension allows you to feel every bump in the road. If you are interested in land cruiser of all varieties i recommend looking at Cascade Overland Imports out of Portland for exporting(mostly out of Japan). PM me if you would like to talk more but the HZJ77 is the KING of 70 series.

Hey just saw this. I currently own a white 1991 HZJ77 RHD Diesel and live out in Pacific beach. I can confirm that it is registered out of state and it IS a pain in the ass to get them registered in CA. However If you plan on using the car for everyday use, keep in mind, THIS CAR IS A TRACTOR. I say that not as a bad thing but its not going to ride like a normal post 2000 4x4. The thing is a beast with the 1HZ engine and leaf spring suspension allows you to feel every bump in the road. If you are interested in land cruiser of all varieties i recommend looking at Cascade Overland Imports out of Portland for exporting(mostly out of Japan). PM me if you would like to talk more but the HZJ77 is the KING of 70 series.
I ended up purchasing an HZJ77 from a great buyer after being able to test drive a PZJ. Thanks for all the advice and info everyone! Will not be dailying this but making it into an adventure rig for weekend trips. Very excited to start building it out.

Have you driven in snowy weather or gone snowboarding in big bear with it? Was curious how it would do in those conditions.

Have you driven in snowy weather or gone snowboarding in big bear with it? Was curious how it would do in those conditions.
I haven’t taken my FJ75 up to Big Bear yet but camped and a bunch with my BJ74. Did just fine. I’d be down to meet up in the spring if there’s still snow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom