Looking to purchase a 70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some advice....
I am looking to buy a 70 series from a seller in Arizona. The cruiser was imported and originally titled and registered in CA, It is now titled in AZ. The question is, with it originally titled in CA any difficulties re-registering it there?

I’m guessing it’s a diesel. If it is, pre-97 and it’s the original engine, you don’t need to get it smogged, and I’m pretty sure you’re set. It gets sticky when it’s not the original engine that matches to frame.

Also this thread:

Thanks for the reply
Yes, it's the original engine...I have heard nightmare stories of trying to title and register diesel imports in CA but I figured if it was originally imported, titled and registered there...should be good???

sorry, i misunderstood your original post... didn't realize you were trying to go back to CA.

Thanks for the reply
Yes, it's the original engine...I have heard nightmare stories of trying to title and register diesel imports in CA but I figured if it was originally imported, titled and registered there...should be good???

I'm in the middle of trying to get one registered in CA as we speak (got F-d by Coronavirus shutdown and now I have a kid I'm homeschooling and can't go sit and the DMV for 4 hours), I think I have a solid plan, I've done a little footwork to get to this point.

Anyway, I don't know what will happen when you try to bring it back. If it had CA registration and is still in the system I don't think you'll have the issue with manager approval that you'll need bringing in one fresh, but if it requires a VIN inspection you may run into the same tug of war over BAR vs CARB compliance that we all run into getting this things plated in CA.

If it doesn't pull up in the system and requires manager approval it'll be like starting fresh, and you'll be on the hook the same as the rest of us. My backup plan is to just register in Montana. I'm looking for someone who might want to partner in that whole thing... so if you're interested perhaps we can talk more, shoot me a private message.

I’m guessing it’s a diesel. If it is, pre-97 and it’s the original engine, you don’t need to get it smogged, and I’m pretty sure you’re set. It gets sticky when it’s not the original engine that matches to frame.

Also this thread:

You don't need to smog it, BAR doesn't want anything to do with it. I've been down this road before. The problem is if you get caught up in ARB bull****. If you don't get caught in the ARB trap you're home free and you'll be treated like any other older diesel, including that a****** rolling coal in his Super Duty next to you that doesn't have to pass smog either...

I have asked this question elsewhere but I have yet to see an actual 70 series that actually went through the process of being brought into compliance to pass and be titled. Does one exist here on mud at least?

I have asked this question elsewhere but I have yet to see an actual 70 series that actually went through the process of being brought into compliance to pass and be titled. Does one exist here on mud at least?

They're out there, but the process is corrupt, opaque and ridiculous. Unless you own some sort of classic or you have money to throw away it just isn't worth the risk and investment. This is coming from me, a guy believes in the concept of emissions regulations and is a closet tree hugger...

You basically have to pay a private company (there are two of these ARB accredited companies in the whole state) who gets to do whatever the **** they want, charge you what they want, and do business however they want, in order to award you some little sticker that goes on your door jamb saying that you are federally emissions compliant. The process costs $6500-8500 for a little bit of fuel pump tuning and the addition of an oxidizer, bringing it to some invisible standard that the owner of the company won't share with you. He writes you the quote on a sticky note in scribbled cursive. He will not provide you paper work and will not tell you what parts or process he will use to bring it to spec. All you're paying for is the sticker. After that since you actually do not have comply to any smog standard, you can completely uncork it, turn up the fuel and roll coal all over Southern California if you wanted to.

Without that sticker it's a roll of the dice and completely up to whatever DMV assclown you get, it depends on whether they know the laws, whether they care about the laws and how the manager who has to sign off on your short VIN number interprets the conflict between BAR and ARB requirements. If they aren't satisfied you get sent to CHP, where it is once again up to the whatever CHP officer you have the privilege of being saddled with who is then in charge of your case. When I was sent down this rabbit hole the CHP officer actually knew less about the laws than the DMV guy I got, threw the book at me and called me an "idiot" and an "a******" in front of my then 4 year old daughter for wanting to register the truck in CA, and told me that I needed all of these notes from BAR and I had to install air bags and antilock brakes, ect and needed to get ARB to sign off. After I spend several months debunking his BS I ended up getting stuck on ARB and decided it was better to sell the truck and start over again.

You basically have to pay a private company...to do whatever the f*** they want...to award you some little sticker...saying that you are federally emissions compliant.

I'm not in California (not for a long, long time), but I find this curious. Any foreign-market vehicle, diesel or otherwise, that's over 25 years old and was imported "by the book" is granted a Federal emissions exemption by the EPA. By virtue of that, they're all Federally emissions compliant. California has some special permission to have their own emissions requirements, separate from the Federal ones, so if there's some requirement these Landcruisers don't meet, it must be a California State one. If it exists, it has to be in print somewhere, presumably with CARB or in published statute.

Your d*cktard CHP officer was also apparently unaware that there would be absolutely no need to get air bags, antilock brakes, or any other modern safety feature installed on one of these old cars, since the NHTSA also exempts them from Federal compliance once they're over 25 years old.

Honestly, I feel bad for the guys in California who are trying to get these old cars registered. Seems like it's a total crapshoot over there.

They're out there, but the process is corrupt, opaque and ridiculous. Unless you own some sort of classic or you have money to throw away it just isn't worth the risk and investment. This is coming from me, a guy believes in the concept of emissions regulations and is a closet tree hugger...

You basically have to pay a private company (there are two of these ARB accredited companies in the whole state) who gets to do whatever the f*** they want, charge you what they want, and do business however they want, in order to award you some little sticker that goes on your door jamb saying that you are federally emissions compliant. The process costs $6500-8500 for a little bit of fuel pump tuning and the addition of an oxidizer, bringing it to some invisible standard that the owner of the company won't share with you. He writes you the quote on a sticky note in scribbled cursive. He will not provide you paper work and will not tell you what parts or process he will use to bring it to spec. All you're paying for is the sticker. After that since you actually do not have comply to any smog standard, you can completely uncork it, turn up the fuel and roll coal all over Southern California if you wanted to.

Without that sticker it's a roll of the dice and completely up to whatever DMV assclown you get, it depends on whether they know the laws, whether they care about the laws and how the manager who has to sign off on your short VIN number interprets the conflict between BAR and ARB requirements. If they aren't satisfied you get sent to CHP, where it is once again up to the whatever CHP officer you have the privilege of being saddled with who is then in charge of your case. When I was sent down this rabbit hole the CHP officer actually knew less about the laws than the DMV guy I got, threw the book at me and called me an "idiot" and an "a******" in front of my then 4 year old daughter for wanting to register the truck in CA, and told me that I needed all of these notes from BAR and I had to install air bags and antilock brakes, ect and needed to get ARB to sign off. After I spend several months debunking his BS I ended up getting stuck on ARB and decided it was better to sell the truck and start over again.

That pretty much sums up the state of CA, well said sir.

I'm not in California (not for a long, long time), but I find this curious. Any foreign-market vehicle, diesel or otherwise, that's over 25 years old and was imported "by the book" is granted a Federal emissions exemption by the EPA. By virtue of that, they're all Federally emissions compliant. California has some special permission to have their own emissions requirements, separate from the Federal ones, so if there's some requirement these Landcruisers don't meet, it must be a California State one. If it exists, it has to be in print somewhere, presumably with CARB or in published statute.

Your d*cktard CHP officer was also apparently unaware that there would be absolutely no need to get air bags, antilock brakes, or any other modern safety feature installed on one of these old cars, since the NHTSA also exempts them from Federal compliance once they're over 25 years old.

Honestly, I feel bad for the guys in California who are trying to get these old cars registered. Seems like it's a total crapshoot over there.

That federal emissions compliance sticker is a actually an ARB requirement, they ordain your vehicle with federal emissions compliance. It can even be the exact same engine of something founding the USA, if it doesn't have a USA VIN, you technically need to switch to a USA motor to pass smog via BAR. It's stupid, especially for diesels since there is no actual emissions requirement, it's just about the federal label itself.

Yeah the CHP officer I got was a real piece of work. I actually thought about filing a complaint and going all the way with it but in the end I figured it would just end up raising my blood pressure and causing a headache.

I'm on a similar boat here, only difference is that I'm thinking of registering in California for the first time after importing. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if anybody has any resources or information on the feasibility of getting a 70 series with a 3B Diesel engine registered in California I would greatly appreciate it. Is my best bet just registering it in another state for a year first? It doesn't seem like it's any easier to register even after it's been registered in another state? It would be good to have a sticky thread with the latest info and tips on this.

I'm on a similar boat here, only difference is that I'm thinking of registering in California for the first time after importing. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if anybody has any resources or information on the feasibility of getting a 70 series with a 3B Diesel engine registered in California I would greatly appreciate it. Is my best bet just registering it in another state for a year first? It doesn't seem like it's any easier to register even after it's been registered in another state? It would be good to have a sticky thread with the latest info and tips on this.

There is one here and it is a long read: California Title and Registration of Diesels

Hit me up I'll walk you through it.

My friend in California says it's way easier and faster to drive 4 hours and register it in Arizona rather than screwing around with the CA DMV.

I think I saw your Rig on Bring A Trailer, welcome to the forum!

Not sure what else is required for a pre-smog diesel but get a AAA membership and skip the DMV all together. They can do the VIN verifications....super easy.
I bought a membership just so I could do it there

Now it wasn't a diesel but I dealt with it recently bringing in a pre-smog gas from out of state.

Not sure what else is required for a pre-smog diesel but get a AAA membership and skip the DMV all together. They can do the VIN verifications....super easy.
I bought a membership just so I could do it there

Now it wasn't a diesel but I dealt with it recently bringing in a pre-smog gas from out of state.

They don't have "manager approval" to be able to push short VIN numbers through. If they did it would be a no brainer.

Some 70's have 17 digit VINs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom