Looking to buy this '78 FJ40-advice appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brings up a good point, check the classifieds section here as well.

My advice..run..fast. I live in NY too. Yes there aren't a lot for sale. $3500 is nuts. My first 40 i overspent too. I won it on ebay, freak thing actually. I sold mine for 2500 and it was on the road driving. My friends tell me they see it once in a while. Take your time. I am in the market right now as well. Our choices are really this ..ship it. If you find one and it cost a grand to ship but its clean, you will only spend that quickly later. Here is my lesson: $4000 winning bid ( fluke but still won my first 40 ), $950 to ship from Yuma Arizona. First week of ownership replaced rear spring perches and rear crossmember ( completely shot couldn't drive it), $1500 ( my labor), full tune up etc..oil changed ( air filter looked like the oil filter) $300. Clutch master cylinder week later $150. So in my first month of ownership my total was around 6-7 thousand. And I was lucky to get the 2500 when I sold, on Long Island. So either you pay more on the front end or the back end, either way your paying. Espeacially in NY. we are lucky because of the 25 year rule. No emissions only safety inspection. Im not trying to scare you, just sharing my well learned lesson.

I continue to learn each day how interesting pursuing an FJ is...I think thats definitely part of the attraction...this thrill of the chase kind of thing. Every truck has its own particular highlights and flaws and unless it's been restored there will always be a different combination of those factors. This can make it kind of difficult to compare or assess value, especially when you get toward the lower end of the pricing spectrum like me. I'm saving for a wedding in August so I can't really afford more than $5-6,000. I'm definitely more into the original/stock look and would prefer mechanical reliability over cosmetic appeal. I know I'm not going to get a cherry for that kind of money but I know I can do a lot better than the one I just looked at....just don't seem to be many in that price range.

some one on here was going to sell a nice 40 in va.should be on this page .around here the 40 you are looking at would bring 6 or 700.00 bucks.

Here in CA you can buy a mostly rust free clean cruiser for that much. Look into shipping cars from outside your area, it's not as much $$$ as you might think. I would be worth it to you to find something in better shape and pay a little to get it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom