Looking to buy- Is this 1992 LC worth it ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to get into a classic LC and found a rust free 1992 LC locally in DFW. Vehicle has original 207k miles with zero rust and paint in good condition. Clean interior and small oil leak that my initial guess would be valve cover or rear main but not enough to leave a drop on ground. Only tear is in drivers seat and no 3rd row seats. FT 4WD with center diff button and 4.0 engine. 4WD low seems to engage but light is not illuminated Seems unmolested and not offroaded. Negotiated price down to $8300. I do have a 2005 DCLB Tacoma as my family offroad / DD but wanted to replace my 98 TJ with another more reliable toy. Plans for the LC would be 3" lift, 35s and likely 4.88 gears due to weak 4.0. New to LC but not Toyotas. Pricing reasonable or is this pandemic pricing at $8300. Thoughts?

20220115_144418.jpg

20220115_144428.jpg

20220115_144502.jpg

20220115_145340.jpg

I read on the forum regarding the differences from 92-93 but for off road non extreme purposes, would center diff lock suffice or hold out for later years equipped with triple lock and stronger motor? I can wrench with anything bolt-on just not rebuilding. Stepson just bought a 94 LC that's triple locked but not anywhere as clean as this one. We just installed a 3" dobinson lift on his so that experience and bonding was a plus for both of us. Sorry is this thread was posted in the wrong section.

Looked at older 4runners but the build and ride would be almost the same as my 2005 Tacoma. Love the classic look of the LC especially when it's built and not often seen on road as much as 4R/tacomas/Jeeps.

I read on the forum regarding the differences from 92-93 but for off road non extreme purposes, would center diff lock suffice or hold out for later years equipped with triple lock and stronger motor? I can wrench with anything bolt-on just not rebuilding. Stepson just bought a 94 LC that's triple locked but not anywhere as clean as this one. We just installed a 3" dobinson lift on his so that experience and bonding was a plus for both of us. Sorry is this thread was posted in the wrong section.
You'll be fine. A stock 80 Series of any year is very capable right out of the box. Lockers can be added later when you regear the diffs. Aftermarket lockers from ARB, Harrop, etc are better than the factory lockers anyway.

Address for said vehicle so I can go over and “look at it” to give you an honest opinion……….the seller accepts cash, right?

Have a reputable mechanic look it over after you purchase it. These vehicles are not getting any younger so a baseline is in order. You already have a ‘94 in the family so this one should not be a big surprise. Definitely post up the details and your journey AFTER you purchase it. Good luck and open your wallet. These rigs are amazing.

Address for said vehicle so I can go over and “look at it” to give you an honest opinion……….the seller accepts cash, right?

Have a reputable mechanic look it over after you purchase it. These vehicles are not getting any younger so a baseline is in order. You already have a ‘94 in the family so this one should not be a big surprise. Definitely post up the details and your journey AFTER you purchase it. Good luck and open your wallet. These rigs are amazing.
I'm surprised you didn't tell him the keep the Jeep..

I'm surprised you didn't tell him the keep the Jeep..
I owe you a 🍺 when we meet. I feel like I have made a new friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom