Looking for new rear back bumper for my 1994 LC 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you weld? Have a friend that can?

Diy luke kit with one swing is 1120 plus s/h.

NWTI is another one tht can be had as a kit or whole for less than most.

There are also the less than awesome soflo bumpers being pushed on CL out of FL i think. Couple threads on here. They function but fit and finish leave some to be desired.

Last edited:
That's a pretty good summary IMO. I'm in the same boat. Want to get the spare out of the cargo area, have two kids in college and cannot spend a semester tuition (or nearly) on a bumper.

@SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr makes a kit too but production is sporadic. ( not a dig, just observation).

I did not know nwti had a built option. I thought you could only get them as kits.

As @davidp14 mentioned I make a couple batches of factory bumper diy swing out kits every year. I do these in between classes and travels. Batches are usually in the summer followed by another in the winter.

The best bang for the buck rear bumper I have seen is the Dobinson from @crikeymike . It’s the traditional aussie styling.

DANG!
+1 for this recommendation. Here's the link I tracked down.

It looks a lot like the newer version of my Kaymar (as you mentioned, Oz-style). I scored mine used for $1k, so I can't complain, but if I had to track down a new one, I'm not sure I'd even hesitate before moving on this one. Between the value and the incredible feedback I've read on the customer experience you get with Dobinsons, seems like a slam dunk to me.

I've been happy with my Dobinson's rear bumper, I do wish it had the ability to mount a hi-lift but I think I'll fab something up elsewhere for that anyway.

I've been happy with my Dobinson's rear bumper, I do wish it had the ability to mount a hi-lift but I think I'll fab something up elsewhere for that anyway.

Do you have your second row seats installed? If so, I've found the 48" hi-lift to tuck very nicely right behind the second row. This keeps the rust down (inevitable when mounted externally) and keeps it clean for when you have to actually use it. It's also easily accessed by folding down a seat. I was intent on mounting it on my rear bar until I discovered how well it nuzzled in behind the seats.

Don't forget to consider the extra options and their extra pricing. Ladder, extra storage swing, etc. Also, clearance can be important depending on your wheeling style.

Don't forget to consider the extra options and their extra pricing. Ladder, extra storage swing, etc. Also, clearance can be important depending on your wheeling style.

I agree that it is really nice to have a product with stellar aftermarket support, but sometimes I question how many of us actually take advantage of that. My Kaymar, for example, has zero aftermarket support due to the lack of a real North American distributor and the fact that it is a Gen1 version of a product that is probably on Gen3 or 4. I thought this was going to be really frustrating, but my main goal was to get the tire out from underneath and that is accomplished. I have the spindle in place in case I want to add a second swing out. Yet just like Cruiser owners seem to do in so many other scenarios, we get creative when we are backed up against a wall. If I wanted to, I could have a shop fab up a second swing out, but I’ve determined I really don’t want to have to swing out yet another arm just to get into the back of the vehicle. I intend to instead add an extended range fuel option underneath.

That being said, with the Dobinson’s bumper offering dual swing outs for the price, I don’t see much to complain about. As far as mounting the Hi Lift, it may be as simple as drilling a hole in that plate in the middle of the wheel, threading a bolt through the Hi Lift and then through the hole, and tensioning it tight against the spare to hold it at the angle you want.

As for departure angles, as long as it’s built stoutly, dragging the 80 butt around isn’t anything new. Just some food for thought.

David

Has anyone took a poll on which rear bumper with tire mount has least amount wheel shake?
I get zero shake with a 35 mounted on my 1st gen Kaymar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom