Looking for exhaust parts source - any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Living in the rust belt, my ‘96 80 is slowly going back to the earth. The exhaust system included. Getting under the rig and shaking the exhaust pipes, I can clearly see the pipe below the manifold is toast. Then it gets to the cats, more rust breakage. The O2 sensor is held on by a hose clamp because the bolts are broken and rusted in place.

It’s exhausting! Haha! Oh that was so bad, it stinks.

Anyway - I’m looking for advice and sources for parts to make this 80 quiet and civilized again. Everything I’m finding with Google is in the thousands $$$$$.

There’s gotta be a better way to remedy this.

Anyone?

Unfortunately, I have zero welding or bending skills (or tools). I can hold my own turning a wrench, but not with a welder. Maybe it's time to learn...

Unfortunately, I have zero welding or bending skills (or tools). I can hold my own turning a wrench, but not with a welder. Maybe it's time to learn...
No bending required, the kit has pre done bends you can cut apart to make the turns you need. But, you will have to be able to weld or get it to someone who can.

That said, if you have to invest in all the tools it probably won't save you any money. You will have some cool tools when you're done though. 😁

That’s very helpful! Thank you!

Bosal sells bolt on replacements for the entire system BRExhaust | OE Replacement Exhaust Systems - https://www.brexhaust.com/. However I would try to source a Magnaflow downpipe/cat part# 23120.

Or Walker. But I would use a high temp rust-resistant paint on it, since it's not stainless (other than the Magnaflow y-pipe)

I would highly recommend a stock muffler and the Walker/Bosal rear pipe. I couldn't get more than a year out of the two Walker mufflers I tried before they rattled/leaked.

I am having a difficult time finding an OEM muffler - I have just about all the other OEM pieces except the center section muffler. Currently looking at getting a Bosal if I cannot get an OEM. The Walker is no longer available from summit, but I am checking with oreilly today. Some online vendors are not replying to my inquiries or phone calls that show OEM on their website - I understand some are having staffing issues...

Magnaflow cats and Borla are bolt on. Both are Mandrel bent and the Borla is 304 stainless. Not a fan of the exhaust tip but the rest is great.

Rockauto has the bosal muffler and tail pipe available. They are alright quality not great but not the worst. Magnaflow cats are the way to go as it’s stainless and decent quality. OEM Toyota would be better than Bosal for muffler and tail pipe but not sure on current availability due to COVID supply chain problem.
Magnaflow down pipe part number is 23120 and rear cat is 23622.
Best solution if oem is un available would be magnaflow cats and go to a local hot rod shop and have them build the rest in stainless steel for you.

I am having a difficult time finding an OEM muffler - I have just about all the other OEM pieces except the center section muffler. Currently looking at getting a Bosal if I cannot get an OEM. The Walker is no longer available from summit, but I am checking with oreilly today. Some online vendors are not replying to my inquiries or phone calls that show OEM on their website - I understand some are having staffing issues...
OEM should be available, I just had one delivered.

Borla Muffler that bolts to OEM pipes? Do you have a PN?
Doesn't bolt to the 93/94 directly. I use the Magnaflow ypipe with a custom bend to mate to Toyota muffler and Walker rear section.

Out with the old and in with the new. Put it in yesterday and so far very happy with how it sounds.

I was surprised to find my original exhaust still in very solid condition. The only problems I was having were the original mounting brackets on the muffler had broken loose from the muffler side. I had the down pipe replaced about five years ago with a Magnaflow and they fabbed some mounts and I've been chasing failures ever since. The other thing was my resonator had blown out so that's why it was louder than I liked.

Current setup:
Magnaflow down pipe 23120
Magnaflow 2nd cat 23622
Toyota muffler 17403-66041
Toyota tail pipe 17405-66010
Toyota mounting hardware and gaskets

About $2K at current prices.

exhaust.jpg

Out with the old and in with the new. Put it in yesterday and so far very happy with how it sounds.

I was surprised to find my original exhaust still in very solid condition. The only problems I was having were the original mounting brackets on the muffler had broken loose from the muffler side. I had the down pipe replaced about five years ago with a Magnaflow and they fabbed some mounts and I've been chasing failures ever since. The other thing was my resonator had blown out so that's why it was louder than I liked.

Current setup:
Magnaflow down pipe 23120
Magnaflow 2nd cat 23622
Toyota muffler 17403-66041
Toyota tail pipe 17405-66010
Toyota mounting hardware and gaskets

About $2K at current prices.

View attachment 2802796
Did these new parts come with all the bolts, nuts, and gaskets needed or did you order replacements?

Did these new parts come with all the bolts, nuts, and gaskets needed or did you order replacements?
I ordered all new Toyota mounting hardware. The list below is a partial of what I bought. Other parts not on the list are exhaust manifold to down pipe nuts and gaskets and O2 sensor nuts and gaskets.

The Magnaflow parts probably come with gaskets but I think most have replaced with Toyota gaskets.

The other thing that will likely be needed is to grind the muffler pipe where it mounts to the Magnaflow converter. The pipe doesn’t go all the way in, unless Magnaflow has revised their design since I bought a few years ago. With my original muffler I had it double gasketed.

9017906007NUT12
1756717010CUSHION, EXHAUST PIPE CENTER, REAR3
9010510388BOLT, WASHER BA2
9418041000NUT4
1849576010RETAINER, EXHAUST PIPE1
9151261035BOLT, FLANGE4
9091706076GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE1
9091706043GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE1

1636067348526.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom