Looking for advice on shock absorbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny, I just ordered the adjustable Rancho XL9000 yesterday. RS999113 and RS999118 for the "little cruiser" '69 FST.

Thought I was only going to replace the brittle and missing bushings on the old Rancho 9000 "5 speed" adjustable shocks but after pulling them I figured some new dampeners would be justified.

The adjustable range on the ranchos is quite large and handy for varied loads and roads. From empty topless roadster to heavy loaded work tractor.

FWIW, since I just measured the old and spec'd the new:
old front 9113 13" to "20"
old rear 9125 14 1/4" to 22 1/2"

new front 999113 13.28" to 20.03"
new rear 999118 14.32" to 22.28"

Cheers,
Jim

gee, another ham? I have met more radio guys on a land cruiser forum than any other besides ARRL! Thank you @pismojim these are very close to mine on the front… I can justify my ideas for piston travel…

N2CUJ

@graham5david if I am at 15.5” sitting on the front, and 18” on the rear, how much of a free compression movement is required in order to not bottom out the shock?
Measure pin to pin parked level. For compression measure the distance between the bump stop and axle and subtract it from pin/pin. You might want to allow a little compression of the stop. For extension measure pin to pin with the suspension at full droop.

That makes sense… never thought about it like this but, it is 100% about the available physical available space.

@pb4ugo great idea…got my measurements… used the hi-lift jack to lift the rear to a decent droop added an extra 3” just in case under a load it would stretch

I think you’ve just about nailed it @Chungas Revenge .

Well old pharts need to look out for each other. We have an old phart club here and I'm happy to say I'm "President and Dictator for Life". I'm the youngest old guy in the cult, so by the law of averages, the number of pace makers, replacement knees and members on Alzheimer's meds, I should be the one to furl the colors and close out the chapter when its all said and done.

I’m running Bilsteins on my 40 and Dobinsons IMS on my 80. Bilsteins have been fine and IMO were an upgrade to the OME’s I had before. Dobinsons are fantastic on my 80 and they are available for a 40 up to 2” of lift, if I had a do over I’d spring for them on the $40

X2 on the Bilsteins on the FJ40. Big DD improvement over OMEs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom